Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,057,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

Now, to clarify, omit in my post when I wrote "too", implying Kendall is a slum. I know it's not. I was saying that according to the logic that anywhere with apartments must be bad, the areas like downtown, Brickell and the Beach would all be slums. I didn't mean to imply Kendall is a slum. The too was a mistake on my part and thanks for catching it, but don't look so deep into minor slips.
thanks for clearing that up. I did find your comment unusual. I still think your wording was pretty poor and it does sound like your calling the area slums. I was talking about apartment buildings, not luxury condos. High prices(I would say above $1500 for a 1/1) keep some of the bad element out.
Quote:
I am not an expert on Homestead, but I stand by my former post Princess. You may like it because it is new and cheaper then Kendall and has new chain stores, but that is EXACTLY how Kendall started out too and Homestead is going down the same path now except it is happening much sooner than it did for Kendall, those new areas are less then 10 years old. Kendall existed for decades before the tides turned. Oh, and I am specifically referring to East Homestead...where all the development is.
actually I'm not a big fan of East homestead When I see innaccurate information I like to point That out, regardless of my opinion of the area. It is simply not true that businesses are closing. They are booming. You keep telling us Kendall is bad(and you said that) and it's getting worse by the second, but you are not using good arguments, you are just making blank statements and providing innacute facts or stating problems that are common not only in other residential areas of Miami but in most big city suburban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
actually I'm not a big fan of East homestead When I see innaccurate information I like to point That out, regardless of my opinion of the area. It is simply not true that businesses are closing. They are booming. You keep telling us Kendall is bad(and you said that) and it's getting worse by the second, but you are not using good arguments, you are just making blank statements and providing innacute facts or stating problems that are common not only in other residential areas of Miami but in most big city suburban areas.
Just because you disagree does not make it inaccurate. The fact that Wal Mart, a movie theater and fast food restaurants are thriving in Homestead does not mean it is proespering. There are plenty of vacant or for lease signs in the strip malls...so I really don't know what to tell you if you have missed them, maybe you are just noticing the big boxed stores?

I am not using any argument to prove anything about Kendall, I am jsut sharing my logic as to why it's happening and you have been acting as if it is just like any other suburb in any other city and it is not. There are nicer and safer and more affordable suburbs everywhere around the country, Kendall nowadays is not representative of what a suburbis traditionally thought of as being, mainly because of the crime element.

Those are my points. Sometimes I am not as clear as I would like to be, but I hope I was more specific this time around.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,190,745 times
Oh geez thanks, nice to know Kendall is not a traditional suburb anymore. RIGHT ON!!! KENDALL!!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,666,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
There are nicer and safer and more affordable suburbs everywhere around the country, Kendall nowadays is not representative of what a suburbis traditionally thought of as being, mainly because of the crime element.
But as Princess has said before and I will say now, many other suburban areas in this country are showing their age and are suffering from similar woes (awful traffic due to unchecked growth, growth in the lower-income population, flight of the affluent to more established areas). From 1950-2000, the United States developed a peculiar pattern of the poorest people living in the central city and most of the affluent living in the suburbs (complete opposite of Europe); this pattern has started to reverse itself in the last 10 years and the central cities are thriving while many suburban areas are suffering. I have been all around this country and see Kendall as a typical American suburb, regardless of how much the Anglo population has been dropping west of the Turnpike in recent years. My aunt lives in a suburban NJ town about an hour outside of NYC, and many of the complaints people have of West Kendall are happening in her town.

With that said, unless West Kendall has dramatically changed in just a few years, I think the crime complaints are overblown. It is a shame that there has been a lot of publicized crime there lately, but I would be shocked if West Kendall actually has turned into a high-crime area.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:32 PM

All these people complaining are the same ppl who would move out of their neighborhood if they see a police car or a black man driving trough their neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
No way, Kendall is becoming a **** hole, it was actually better 10 years ago.
It's not becoming, it is already. Kendal is a crime infested war zone that has been taken over by ghetto dwellers and hood rats

Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 PM

I'm a ghetto dweller and a hood rat then.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
No worry Roser, The attitude of your group is why Im not dating Latin girls anymore. Chill out, Im just having fun with my colombian Princess. She is always talking some hyperbole truths about certain groups that for once I wanted to make a pay-back time in a funny way. On the other way Rose, you said you DATED. What make you get back to your roots? I know, once you go Latin you will get back in a ...

Princess, Keep posting the way you always have done. It's always good to have a balance in the forum, even if I some times think you are being to harsh with ....
-----

Thomas

I remember than when you approached a Cuban girl at any Disco or Fiesta Particular, there were three questions:

1. Where do you work?
2. How much do you make?
3. What car do you have?

Some went as far as asking what was your favorite credit card...

Fiestas Particulares were funnier, there you had "chaperonas" (do they still exist?) also asking inquisitive questions. American places were far better, Big Daddy's were fun.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,666,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Fiestas Particulares were funnier, there you had "chaperonas" (do they still exist?) also asking inquisitive questions.
They have gotten a lot less common; it's really an old-fashioned practice that most people don't do anymore.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:26 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
They have gotten a lot less common; it's really an old-fashioned practice that most people don't do anymore.
Agreed. Though was at Dolphin Mall with a friend a few years ago (I'm white, he's Hispanic) and he pointed out (to me) a young couple being trailed by an older relative about 10 feet back from them. Was an interesting sight to see, I must say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami