Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:02 AM

353 posts, read 814,394 times

Advertisements

I'm from up north and its just my opinion,Just not the same without fall weather or a change of season,anyone agree? Just want some different opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
Tell that to the Australians who spend every Christmas on the beach. Given that the "seasons" are reversed down under. Is there something wrong with that?

Fall in the northeast is great for two weeks...then it's gray, cold, and miserable for 3 months. No thanks.

Granted, everyone has their own tastes. And for me 4 seasons are very overrated.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:40 AM

353 posts, read 814,394 times
Well I prefer Cali's heat over Miami's heat,any day,but aren't there areas that have all 4 seasons in California,and the weather drops a lot in California,it resembles more east coast weather

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Well I prefer Cali's heat over Miami's heat,any day,but aren't there areas that have all 4 seasons in California,and the weather drops a lot in California,it resembles more east coast weather
1. Cali is a city in Colombia.

2. Four seasons in California: Not quite. Moutain areas like Lake Tahoe (where the 1960 winter olympics were held) have an Alpine climate. Lots of snow in the winter but the summer days are dry, sunny, and pleasant.

3. So.Calif. climate can only be compared to a FEW climatic zones on the planet:
-West coast of So. America (Chile),
-West coast of Australia (Perth),
-Soutwest coast of So. Africa, and
-Mediterranean Sea (Spain, So. of France)

4. Miami: Advatange over So.Calif. Winters are warmer, ocean is warm year round.

5. So.Calif: Advantage over Miami: Summers are far more pleasant (no rain, no humidity). Calif. = best surf in U.S. outside of Hawaii.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Tell that to the Australians who spend every Christmas on the beach. Given that the "seasons" are reversed down under. Is there something wrong with that?

Fall in the northeast is great for two weeks...then it's gray, cold, and miserable for 3 months. No thanks.

Granted, everyone has their own tastes. And for me 4 seasons are very overrated.
After 2 winters in Denver I wholeheartedly agree (and Denver isn't even that "bad" compared to many other places!). The oppressive summer heat here sucks, but it's the lesser of two evils when compared with 5-6 months of winter up north.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
I'm from up north and its just my opinion,Just not the same without fall weather or a change of season,anyone agree? Just want some different opinions
The holidays from October through December really aren't the same here in South Florida compared to many parts of this country. The weather does play a big roll in that I find. People here try to make it feel like the holidays up north, but it just doesn't feel like the holidays without that cool, dry crisp air. The last few years we have made trips to different places during the fall to experience a real fall. One year we went to the Carolinas and the leaves were falling, pumpkins on the porches, you could hear the wind blowing through the trees and the smell of the fireplaces, just put us in the fall spirit.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I love the change of seasons minus WINTER - I really don't like the cold - I like cool not cold. I don't like how long it stays hot here but I like how long it stays cold in NYC even less so I'll take the longer summer. It isn't hotter that I will disagree with everyone - it is called summer for a reason everywhere in the US is hot in the summer but some places are hotter than others but it is relatively hot everywhere - NYC is just as hot if not hotter in the dead of summer as it is in Florida - don't argue this please it is true - it is just done and over with before we can appreciate it and it gets freezing cold in no time - cold and hot with a sprinkle of beautiful in between.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The holidays from October through December really aren't the same here in South Florida compared to many parts of this country. The weather does play a big roll in that I find. People here try to make it feel like the holidays up north, but it just doesn't feel like the holidays without that cool, dry crisp air. The last few years we have made trips to different places during the fall to experience a real fall. One year we went to the Carolinas and the leaves were falling, pumpkins on the porches, you could hear the wind blowing through the trees and the smell of the fireplaces, just put us in the fall spirit.
I personally think the Carolina's have the most temperate weather in the east - I love it - I love the ideas of the pumpkins on the porches and the leaves on the ground and a bit of snow - I can handle a bit - not a bunch but a bit - snowball fights - leaves in the fall that you can jump into - I miss that!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM

589 posts, read 756,826 times
Very different down here for sure if you are used to small town Halloween and Christmas [from say, states North of Florida]. Part of it is the weather, the other part is most people here are not originally from this country. The latter is the biggest difference really, a decent chunk of the population is not of a Christian or European background so Halloween and Christmas are not celebrated at all. And if it is, its more discreet.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Very different down here for sure if you are used to small town Halloween and Christmas [from say, states North of Florida]. Part of it is the weather, the other part is most people here are not originally from this country. The latter is the biggest difference really, a decent chunk of the population is not of a Christian or European background so Halloween and Christmas are not celebrated at all. And if it is, its more discreet.
I hadn't thought about it that way but I guess that may be true - I know that my husbands family didn't celebrate Thanksgiving or halloween until they got here - I changed that though - those holidays are a big deal for me - I like all of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami