Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times

Advertisements

Miracle Mile would also work if we're not talking about price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM

12 posts, read 30,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Where are you studying? Is $400/week your entire budget (for rent, food, transportation, etc.), or is that only for rent? Regardless of what your answer is to the second question, I would suggest finding one or two roommates and sharing an apartment; that way, you'll be more likely to save money and meet people your age. Craigslist.org is a great resource for finding people who already have apartments that want to rent out a room in their apartment. Check out the "Rooms/Shares" section.
It's my entire budget, but the reason why I ask for urban areas is so I can do everything without the need of a car, and just pay the $100 monthly pass. And yes, I will have a roommate when I move.

That's $1,600 a month minus $100 for the monthly pass, comes to $1,500 a month.

I really need this help guys, please help me. What are urban areas that are safe, and that everything that you might need to do is easily done by walking, metro-rail or metromover, and that are within my bufget. Please guys, please help.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelage View Post
It's my entire budget, but the reason why I ask for urban areas is so I can do everything without the need of a car, and just pay the $100 monthly pass. And yes, I will have a roommate when I move.

That's $1,600 a month minus $100 for the monthly pass, comes to $1,500 a month.

I really need this help guys, please help me. What are urban areas that are safe, and that everything that you might need to do is easily done by walking, metro-rail or metromover, and that are within my bufget. Please guys, please help.
You have to let me know at which university you'll be studying. That is going to matter when I give you advice on where to live.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
The NW side of Southbeach near Sunset Harbor, Belle Island, West Ave between 14th & 20th Street is a really convenient location. You can walk to PUblix, Epicure, a vairety of stores, banks, gyms, movies, restaurants, drug stores, bars, office supplies, post office, specialty & medical services, Macy's, government services, Lincoln Rd, etc. What you can't easily reach by foot from that part of Southbeach is accessible by the Southbeach local bus for 25cents.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The NW side of Southbeach near Sunset Harbor, Belle Island, West Ave between 14th & 20th Street is a really convenient location. You can walk to PUblix, Epicure, a vairety of stores, banks, gyms, movies, restaurants, drug stores, bars, office supplies, post office, specialty & medical services, Macy's, government services, Lincoln Rd, etc. What you can't easily reach by foot from that part of Southbeach is accessible by the Southbeach local bus for 25cents.
Wow! Miami Beach sounds great. What are the cheapest places in that area? From what I hear South Beach is safe, is that area safe?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
You have to let me know at which university you'll be studying. That is going to matter when I give you advice on where to live.
As of right now, I think Miami-Dade College.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
I once tutored a student who rented a room in Little Havana for $500/month incl. utilities, and he would walk to the Metromover and ride the rest of the way (free-no $100 pass needed) to downtown MDC campus. A bit of a walk I'll admit, but it can be done. MDC Medical campus can be reached by Metrorail. I have also seen studios in downtown itself for $650, in an old building adjacent to Everglades by the Bay.

Good luck!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
BTW assumming you're full-time, you get the student monthly pass for $50!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:25 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
BTW assumming you're full-time, you get the student monthly pass for $50!
That's a great deal.

Intelage: provided you mean MDC's Downtown campus and not the West Dade campus by SW 8th St. and the Turnpike, you can live in any of the following areas and get by without a car:

Dadeland area of East Kendall - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...h&z=16&iwloc=A
Downtown South Miami - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19248&t=h&z=16
Coconut Grove - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19248&t=h&z=16
The Roads (though this is a very residential area and doesn't has as many amenities within walking distance as the other places I and others have mentioned) - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19248&t=h&z=16
Brickell - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33131&t=h&z=16
Downtown Miami - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19248&t=h&z=16

You could also live on the island of Miami Beach itself (preferably the NW section of South Beach, as suggested by rnc2mbfl) and take the bus over the causeway to Downtown Miami each day. - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19248&t=h&z=16

When I was a college student in Boston, I had a monthly budget that was actually a little lower than yours, and I managed to get by just fine. You will be able to afford a studio (many people in the older residential neighobrhoods that have converted garages and little guesthouses in the back of their homes refer to the studio apartments they rent as "efficiencies," so look out for that term as well), but as I have said before, it's best to get a roommate or two. Most of the areas mentioned in this thread have a lot of young people who are looking for roommates, and usually on Craigslist.

From where will you be relocating? Let me know if you have any further questions, and best of luck with your move.

Last edited by Marlin331; 09-10-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
That's a great deal.

Intelage: provided you mean MDC's Downtown campus and not the West Dade campus by SW 8th St. and the Turnpike, you can live in any of the following areas and get by without a car:

Dadeland area of East Kendall - Google Maps
Downtown South Miami - sunset drive and south dixie highway south miami fl - Google Maps
Coconut Grove - sw 27th ave and south dixie highway miami fl - Google Maps
The Roads (though this is a very residential area and doesn't has as many amenities within walking distance as the other places I and others have mentioned) - sw 3rd avenue and sw 25th road miami fl - Google Maps
Brickell - brickell ave and se 10th st miami fl - Google Maps
Downtown Miami - biscayne boulevard and ne 5th st miami fl - Google Maps

You could also live on the island of Miami Beach itself (preferably the NW section of South Beach, as suggested by rnc2mbfl) and take the bus over the causeway to Downtown Miami each day. - alton road and 15th street miami beach fl - Google Maps

When I was a college student in Boston, I had a monthly budget that was actually a little lower than yours, and I managed to get by just fine. You will be able to afford a studio (many people in the older residential neighobrhoods that have converted garages and little guesthouses in the back of their homes refer to the studio apartments they rent as "efficiencies," so look out for that term as well), but as I have said before, it's best to get a roommate or two. Most of the areas mentioned in this thread have a lot of young people who are looking for roommates, and usually on Craigslist.

From where will you be relocating? Let me know if you have any further questions, and best of luck with your move.
Thanks alot, you have been a great help .

I'm moving from San Francisco.

What is the price range for a one bedroom apartment/condo/anything in any of those places that you can live without a car? I'm going to have a roommate .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami