Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,694 times

Advertisements

Is there any place in Miami like SSSP in Manhattan where you can buy seafood right on the dock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Is there any place in Miami like SSSP in Manhattan where you can buy seafood right on the dock?
not that I know of, maybe someone else can correct me.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 AM

I loved going down there early in the morning and checking out what the fishermen would bring in. The sights and smells were so NY.

I wonder if there is a place further north than Miami?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I loved going down there early in the morning and checking out what the fishermen would bring in. The sights and smells were so NY.

I wonder if there is a place further north than Miami?
Let me tell you something I learned a long time ago. You want the sites, sounds and feel of NYC outside of NYC, stay in NYC ROFL. I don't know of any place that has anything remotely close to that. We most learn to settle for less my friend. Though I have been a STRONG advocate for a BIG farmers market (with locally grown food only) in the heart of downtown like the one in Manhattan. Also I think they need to have like you suggested a sea port with fresh seafood coming in and you can go get it fresh off the boat. don't know if or win Miami will wise up and realize the potential here. I mean heck we have some of the BEST fishing waters in the world around here, why the heck you wouldn't have a magnificent seaport is beyond me.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM

I get it, hotdogs don't taste the same either.

I'm surprised there are no open markets for seafood in S.florida. Dallas doesn't have a seafood market but it has a huge farmers market right in downtown. That's fine for the vegans but for us carnivores, it's a massive fail.

Not only the best fishing from what I understand, but some of the best restaurants in the world as well. Surely, they don't shop at Publix.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM

92 posts, read 208,279 times
There's a spot off the Rickenbacker causeway in Key Biscayne where fishermen sell their catch right off the dock. It's very informal, nothing at all like the SSSP. Kind of hard to explain where it is but take the causeway and before you reach the Key itself, it'll be on the right hand side, not far from UM's marine campus.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,387,720 times
Yes, also surprised that a fresh seafood market never popped up by the water (they do exist around town though). Sounds like a neat idea to me, I just don't want something along the lines of Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran--we already have Bayside as a waterfront tourist trap.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM

SSSP, the fish market section I think caters to more locals than tourists. There were a few restaurants and clubs down there but by the time they opened the major fish mongering was pretty much over. Going very early in the morning was also part of it's surreal charm.

I'll check out Rickenbacker Causeway, thanks for the suggestion. Another mini-adventure for me!

I lived for a little while and many years ago in a place called Puerto Angel in Oaxaca, Mexico. We would walk from home to the beach and buy fish not on the dock, but pick them straight off the small fishing boats. Cheap and tasty.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
I think one would be good to have in Miami. Either as a jump start to Midtown by NE 29th Street, or as a jump start to revive Overtown. Maybe bulkhead and flood 1/2 or 3/4 of Lummus Park, creating a public marina and then in the remaining area build the market/marina facilities.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I think one would be good to have in Miami. Either as a jump start to Midtown by NE 29th Street, or as a jump start to revive Overtown. Maybe bulkhead and flood 1/2 or 3/4 of Lummus Park, creating a public marina and then in the remaining area build the market/marina facilities.
Something like what he is talking about needs to be near the water, comes off the boat and straight into the building. Maybe near the miami river on the downtown side I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: