Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
That's a great shame, but then again, the Marlins stadium would have been far better if it had been built Downtown IMO, where it would have been able to utilize rail connections that are already there. The location they chose is simply nuts. I hate to think how traffic will be in that area on game night, being as it's so close to Jackson Hospital.
There are a lot more factors at play than rail connections or who is in whose pocket. Bicentennial Park wouldn't have been any better with the traffic (yes, there would still be people who drove there, particularly if one is coming from up north). I think the whole thing was a waste regardless of where it was put, so don't know why I'm arguing in the first place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ well that doesn't make sense since I don't know many developers who have several hundred million dollars lying around to have built a stadium with a retractable roof.
you hang out with a lot of developers do yah? Research Glenn Straub.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
To be honest I kind of agree with him. people in 'burbs want the car life style. When gas prices go up they need to hold that! Providing mass transit to areas of low population density is inefficient to say the least. People who want mass transit need to live in the city core. I do think the need to expand the mass transit further into the city core though. I say from upper east side down to coconut grove. And from Miami beach over to the neighborhoods just west of 95. say from alapatha (I think thats the name) down to the neighborhoods north of U.M.

The ONLY places out west that should get mass transit stops are Dolphin Mall, F.I.U., the football/baseball stadiums and the airport, thats it. And by mass transit stops I mean heavy rail.
Hey, there are other reasons people move to the suburbs besides loving cars I bet many are simply priced out of the decent areas in the city center! If you have no transit coverage sympathy for those who move to places like Cutler Bay, Country Walk, Kendale Lakes, and Weston, OK, I can agree with you. But suburban places like North Miami, North Miami Beach, Allapattah, ect. are hardly places you move to just because you want a carport for your second SUV. I agree with you that these places are not candidates for heavy rail lines, but light rail and/or dedicated bus lanes similar to the South Dade Busway would be viable and should be considered.

BTW anything out to FIU/Dolphin Mall should definitely be light rail...Metrorail would be way out of place above Tamiami Trail west of the Palmetto!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Hey, there are other reasons people move to the suburbs besides loving cars I bet many are simply priced out of the decent areas in the city center! If you have no transit coverage sympathy for those who move to places like Cutler Bay, Country Walk, Kendale Lakes, and Weston, OK, I can agree with you. But suburban places like North Miami, North Miami Beach, Allapattah, ect. are hardly places you move to just because you want a carport for your second SUV. I agree with you that these places are not candidates for heavy rail lines, but light rail and/or dedicated bus lanes similar to the South Dade Busway would be viable and should be considered.

BTW anything out to FIU/Dolphin Mall should definitely be light rail...Metrorail would be way out of place above Tamiami Trail west of the Palmetto!!!
Allapattah if it is where I think it is (area just north of jackson) thats still the urban core if not very close to it, so they don't count in my 'burbs statement. N. Miami has high density and close to urban core, so agree with you there, North Miami Beach I am not sure about the density levels there. In my mind I think realistically rail of some sort should be provided to upper east side all he way to coconut grove and on the west side from say allapattah all the way to U.M. the only thing far west that should get rail links is FIU, the airport and the two stadiums. Also all the Islands should have some sort of link or at least the heavy trafficked ones.

Also let me clarify, some thing a single train going up and down a single street makes up mass tansit coverage. That is crappy coverage. It should be up and down every major street that has destinations many people want to/need to get to.

Anyway you and I are pretty much in agreement. And yes I know SOME people are priced out but many others want the big back yard, the car, the picket fence and dont want to have neighbors close by. Those people have to "hold it" when crap gets bad because they chose that life style, they have to accept all facets of it. Same way someone in the inner core has to deal with more noise, less space etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami