Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,942,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Good luck! Born and raised here, only speak English and unless you decide to open your own business and be self employed, it's going to be hard. NOW, if you only spoke SPANISH, no problem getting a job Major companies will hire you if you don't speak a lick of English, imagine that I've experienced this at Publix, CVS, defunked Eckerd Drugs, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods (yep, even them) and other national/regional companies.

And here's a little story told to me by an older friend...He saw a sign for help wanted at a store, sign said MUST BE BLILINGUAL. He walked in and said he wanted to apply. Store manager said, "I'm sorry, we're looking for someone Biligual." Our friend told him, "But I am Bilingual, I speak English and Yiddish!" and he walked out.
That's funny!!!!

Reminds me of Brian Reagan's skit when he said he saw a van and on the side it was for cleaning. It read, "We speak english and we delivery"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's funny!!!!

Reminds me of Brian Reagan's skit when he said he saw a van and on the side it was for cleaning. It read, "We speak english and we delivery"
@ "we delivery"

Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM

23 posts, read 65,537 times
Wow, thanks for all the replies, I actually found a job! I am still laughing about the Yiddish... LOL!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:44 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,190,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjiepants View Post
I am still laughing about the Yiddish... LOL!
Yeah, it's really interesting to see how someone can make up stories that funny.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,175,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Yeah, it's really interesting to see how someone can make up stories that funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Can you please specify where that happened?
I can ask him, but more than likely, was in the Gables or general Miami area as they live in the Gables and have so since the 50's, that I know of, but do you REALLY want to know this???? It was many years ago, but I guess things haven't changed all that much. Trust me, I didn't make up that story - I'm quick wit, but I can't take credit for coming up with a story like that, guess you have to live the tale to tell it. No, it came first hand from the man who had a good sense of humor, even at an older age (he just turned 94 last week!)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Most Customer service employees in the wholefoods by Pinecrest are blacks and then Caucasians. They have the worst attitude so apparently being bilingual is not the only thing that is not required to get a job there.

The Publix around my house has plenty of employees that are not bilingual and most customers are Hispanic.

I know many large employers that hire non bilingual people for customer service jobs.

Thera always north Miami and broward if things don't work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
Unfortunately this Whole Foods is this way because the Store Team Leader is a Northern Black American guy. Trust me, I tried applying and also noticed the rude employees. Kinda glad I didn't get hired, which was only because I lied about having done a no call no show at a Tampa Whole Foods when I worked there.
Hmm, guess I'm not the only one who has noticed the "different" demographics compared to Whole Foods in other cities I've been to.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
If they only hire "bi-lingual" people in Miami, how come so many places I go to, no one speaks English?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If they only hire "bi-lingual" people in Miami, how come so many places I go to, no one speaks English?
Bilingual here really means that you must speak fluent Spanish, and little to no English.

I also love how many people imply bilingual means only speaking English and Spanish, not English and, for example, German.

There is definite bias towards non-Hispanics here, but since Hispanics are considered a protected class by the gov, no one will ever give it a look unless the bias is towards another protected class.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 AM

609 posts, read 1,138,990 times
I guess it is high time that I start taking Spanish classes....if I want a good job.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,170 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the replies, I actually found a job! I am still laughing about the Yiddish... LOL!
you don't have to tell us WHERE you work, but in what industry are gonna be working? I want t know cause so many people complain about no jobs in Miami but several posters seem to have found a job pretty quickly
Quote:
I have experience in retail, call centers, and banking. How tough is it to find jobs right now in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami