Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 AM

23 posts, read 65,565 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Miami area in a few weeks (Aventura), he has a government job and will be employed when we get there. I am concerned about being able to find a job, I have experience in retail, call centers, and banking. How tough is it to find jobs right now in the area? One downside is that I am NOT billingual- I only speak English. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:32 AM

242 posts, read 315,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjiepants View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Miami area in a few weeks (Aventura), he has a government job and will be employed when we get there. I am concerned about being able to find a job, I have experience in retail, call centers, and banking. How tough is it to find jobs right now in the area? One downside is that I am NOT billingual- I only speak English. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!
I'm not going to sugar coat it -- it's going to be tough. Unemployment here is pretty bad and the job market is extremely competitive. Just be prepared for it to take a while to find a job (hopefully you can both survive on your husband's salary for a while, or have sufficient funds saved).

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
depends, easier if you know people, but that still wont guarantee you a job nowadays, just read in the paper that the unemployment rate went from 13.2% to 14.4% , thats the official, the unoficial is prob around 25%

bilingual wont be a problem in most places, in retail it will, but i wouldn't do retail anyways *** dealing with peoples attitude

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
If you have experience, do well on interviews and look and act professional it shouldnt be that difficult. Retail and call centers are always hiring even "with this economy" Employers have difficulty retaining their employees and getting qualified employees, especially here in Miami. Banking depending on your experience you might need to start as a teller and move your way up to other better paying positions.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
I have experience in retail, call centers, and banking.
Wow, I think you named the three job position that are most often listed with a preference for bi-lingual (maning Spanish, down in Miami).

Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 AM

142 posts, read 362,396 times
Look north to Broward County, Fort Lauderdale area, Pompano Beach, Deerfield Beach, the commute will be a little more then to stay right in Aventura, but you'd probably find some kind of employment. Alot of the airlines hire seasonal workers for "high" season in Fort Lauderdale and the majority (90%) of the passengers are english speaking cruise passengers so that might be an area you could look at.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Wow, I think you named the three job position that are most often listed with a preference for bi-lingual (maning Spanish, down in Miami).
I agree those three professions down here in Miami will almost always require Spanish and English.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM

139 posts, read 383,749 times
be aggressive, that's all i gotta say. if you're too laid back someone faster, younger, and brighter will get the job before you do.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,939 times
Actually, despite all the doom and gloom here, I just got a job at a sandwich place in downtown Miami on Flagler, and I have only been in South Florida for a total of 3 weeks. It was the first place I applied to on the mainland after hitting up all of SoBe, and they hired me on the spot. I'm not saying this is the norm, but if you really go at it and act professional, you can draw attention, especially in lower ring jobs like retail/restaurants/etc. Today was actually my first day of work, but it is only a part time job though (and I am commuting from West Palm via Tri-Rail- ouch). Btw, my Spanish is only really intermediate and that's only for when it comes to understanding it, can't really speak all that well yet (neither can a lot of my co-workers, my boss is actually from Chicago, like me)- so yeah, not being bilingual isn't going to be the end of you. Just hit the pavement.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,274 times
Quote:
what kind of government job? I'm 27 - MBA - out of work and looking for preferably a government job local or federal. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami