Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Florida or Brazil?
Florida 13 61.90%
Brazil 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 04:50 PM

221 posts, read 450,527 times

Advertisements

Actually, I do not know of any family members or friends that have ever been robbed or been the victim of violent crime here in Miami.

The facts are clear, Brazil has much higher crime rates than any place in the United States, including Miami. So stop trying to sugarcoat it and say how wonderful it is over there when it's simply not the case.

Don't mistake what I've just said for "American arrogance" as you guys like to call it. It's not arrogance, it's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:01 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,146,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Yeah, I'd want to live in Brazil and have to worry about getting robbed/kidnapped/caught in the crossfire/etc by drug lords every waking hour.

Plus, sub-standard health and law enforcement. I'm sorry, but a third world country is no place to retire to.
If a third-world country refers to a nation with weak political systems and economy, Brazil is far from falling into such category. It is one of the world's greatest democracies and the 8th economy in the planet. Improvements in national and foreign policy, specially in the past decade or so, have brought in 30 mil people into the middle class category and elevated millions that were considered poor. It is no longer a debtor to the International Monetary Fund, in actuality having recently purchased 10bi note, along with other countries of the "Bric" group (Brazil, Russia, India and China).

Old 12-10-2010, 11:00 AM

3,898 posts, read 6,693,419 times
Quote:
Actually, I do not know of any family members or friends that have ever been robbed or been the victim of violent crime here in Miami.

You are a lucky guy... Anyway, I also know many people in Fortaleza who have never been robbed...

Crime rate is higher here? Yes, it is. But it's far from that stereotyped "hell" on your imagination...

Old 12-10-2010, 04:13 PM

South America has traditionally been home to unstable countries and governments. Things could go way south in one day anywhere in South America.

Not sure I'd want to live there...

Old 12-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
South America has traditionally been home to unstable countries and governments. Things could go way south in one day anywhere in South America.

Not sure I'd want to live there...
Same thing in North America as well, just look at Mexico.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Same thing in North America as well, just look at Mexico.
That's only 1/3 of NA. The US and Canada are fine.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM

True, I see your point.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,397,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
I wanna enjoy the fruits of my hard labor one day in the country that I was born in, raised to love and sometimes even hate--the good old U S of A.

Why would I travel to some other country if I haven't even seen all of the states? I'm dying to travel outside of Miami and will likely be doing so when I retire in 40 years.
Nothing wrong with what you're saying. I respect it, but....big BUT

The reality is you may never see that day. The way things are going in this country, and the way things are heading in many Latin American countries, I'd say your retirement money will get you zilch here.

Many wise (retiring and non) Americans are moving to Central America as we speak to get more for their money. I was in Costa Rica a few months ago, and I will say it's not a bad move for someone looking to retire. Brazil is on its way as well. These countries are realizing that many Americans and Europeans are looking to move to their countries, and are investing in infrastructure, and security.

(My friend works for Caterpillar in Brazil, and business is great. Better than it's ever been.)

Good Luck with super expensive healthcare and nursing homes, where your "pension" (if you'll even have one), Social Security (If you'll even have that as well), and dwindling savings will get you little to nothing here.

Since it seems, you've barely been out of Miami I forgive you and your ignorance. I'm not trying to poke at you, but try doing some more travelling, and see what you're watching on TV are only half truths. That's the problem with people in this country. Too ignorant and oblivious to what's outside.

Even been to Japan, or anywhere in Europe? So many things will impress you, and will have you thinking twice about statements thinking we're number one in everything. Travel, go open your eyes and mind, my friend.

Also, don't wait to retire to travel. Do it NOW!!!

Quote:
Yeah, I'd want to live in Brazil and have to worry about getting robbed/kidnapped/caught in the crossfire/etc by drug lords every waking hour. (Really? )

Plus, sub-standard health and law enforcement. I'm sorry, but a third world country is no place to retire to.

Says someone who probably has never been outside this country. Travel more and be less afraid of the unknown. I'm not announcing doom and gloom in the US, but things are not getting better here. For you to think so, shows how oblivious you are to what else is going on in the world.

The world is moving ahead and along, while we're staying idle on so many levels. To say otherwise proves ignorance. Speaking of Brazil, things have gotten better, on many levels. (Infrastructure, healthcare, security, economy etc). My visit 10 years ago, and my recent visit tell a different story than what people who never left Miami (which by US standards, is lacking as a city. Called a 3rd world city in America, itself) are saying.

By the way, I am not Brazilian. I'm not even South American, but I travel enough to have more insight than you two.

Wanna talk about health care? See where we rank worldwide these days.
We didn't even make top 10, or top 20....Try 37...so stop bragging.

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Ranking 37th

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/opinion/12sun1.html

Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 55,696 times
I realize it is inconvenient due to the thread topic, but did you notice that Brazil comes in at 125th? That's after most of the Latin American countries.

Getting back to OP, I expect that I'll want to stay closer to family. If I had no family, I'd probably not even be living in the US right now. Not because it's not okay here, but because there is so much new to see and experience elsewhere.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,954,513 times
Quote:

The facts are clear, Brazil has much higher crime rates than any place in the United States, including Miami. So stop trying to sugarcoat it and say how wonderful it is over there when it's simply not the case.
You can't really compare a country with a city though.

It would be a stronger case to compare crime of the city of Fortaleza with the city of Miami (if you're comparing crime).

While, I'm sure Fortaleza isn't crime free, and neither is Miami. Most of Brazil's crime seems to be much worse in Sao Paulo, Rio de Jainero and Recife, not necessarily 'just everywhere'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami