Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times

Advertisements

Pollo tropical was created by a cuban FIU graduate. He later sold the restaurants to the Burger King corp. Bk changed the menu, just a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 PM

139 posts, read 383,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Pollo tropical was created by a cuban FIU graduate. He later sold the restaurants to the Burger King corp. Bk changed the menu, just a bit.
Hence White people putting "red salsa" in a Cuban menu. This would never fly in Cuba unles it was in a stew and served with rice. Even then it's sofrito, not mexican-style salsa, which is what the pollo tropical salsa is.

Don't get me wrong! This salsa is VERY tasty and I myself have been known to slop it on my chicken, but it's not a distinct Cubanism in the least bit. Makes sense now why it's on the menu, though.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
In Miami, I'd try to hit up a Peruvian Ceviche place. I heard that Delicias Del Mar closed again after moving from Biscayne to Wynwood on 36th St. I am not sure if that's true or not.
I also love the little Cuban lunch counter at the back of the Bay Grocery store on Alton Road in South Beach (between Lincoln Rd. and 17th St.)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
I can't wait to try some of these places. I have never tasted any cuban food at all.

I do love Keylime, Conch, lobster, I love ice cold ceviche. No surprises there I guess.

This might be a dumb question, but does anyone serve Iguana?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
This might be a dumb question, but does anyone serve Iguana?
I've never heard of a restaurant serving it, but that reminds me of one thing - they do (or used to - I would call and check on this if I were you) serve alligator at Alabama Jack's!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:22 AM

139 posts, read 383,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In Miami, I'd try to hit up a Peruvian Ceviche place. I heard that Delicias Del Mar closed again after moving from Biscayne to Wynwood on 36th St. I am not sure if that's true or not.
I also love the little Cuban lunch counter at the back of the Bay Grocery store on Alton Road in South Beach (between Lincoln Rd. and 17th St.)
I recommend Salmon Salmon for ceviche. Here is a link to the restaurant:

Salmon & Salmon Restaurant - Miami, FL

Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I've never heard of a restaurant serving it, but that reminds me of one thing - they do (or used to - I would call and check on this if I were you) serve alligator at Alabama Jack's!
I would think you could find alligator pretty much anywhere, but I guess I would have to be closer to the glades. Shows what a Texan knows.

Iguana is really good btw. Tastes more like Frog legs to me than chicken. I ate hard boiled eggs of Iguana as well and equally as tasty. The eggs tasted rich like duck eggs if I recall correctly.

I want to try some of the Key west pink shrimp too. Heard good thing about them. Most of what we get up here is Gulf of Mexico shrimp, so I want to taste the difference.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
I recommend Salmon Salmon for ceviche. Here is a link to the restaurant:

Salmon & Salmon Restaurant - Miami, FL

Thanks, I'll add that one to my list.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 AM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
I recommend El Gallegazo on Coral Way just east of the Palmetto. Excellent Galician (Spanish) food. The place is small, homey, and known only to locals. Oh, what I would give for the juicy, tender lacon right now... I can't get it where I'm at! Here are a couple of Yelp reviews (none by me): El Gallegazo Restaurant - Miami, FL.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
I recommend El Gallegazo on Coral Way just east of the Palmetto. Excellent Galician (Spanish) food. The place is small, homey, and known only to locals. Oh, what I would give for the juicy, tender lacon right now... I can't get it where I'm at! Here are a couple of Yelp reviews (none by me): El Gallegazo Restaurant - Miami, FL.
NICE CALLL Gonna check this out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami