Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 16,993 times

Advertisements

Do you have any suggestion for a neighborhood/city? I am looking to spend $700k and would like to live as close to airport as possible. I have two small children so I am looking for a city that is safe with good schools (private or public). I have never been to Miami and I only get one trip to find a place. I have read neighborhood suggestions on other posts buy did not know how my budget will fit in. Are all private school $20k+ in the Miami area? My kids go to a Christian school and we only pay 5k. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:28 PM

137 posts, read 425,234 times
spending 700K and looking for good school, you need to turn your sights to Broward. I chose West Miramar (anything west of I75 is decent) because it is half way between fort lauderdale airport and MIA. My son works out of Port Everglades (next to FLL) my daughter works in MIA and I fly in/out of both very often. It works for us.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker954 View Post
spending 700K and looking for good school, you need to turn your sights to Broward. I chose West Miramar (anything west of I75 is decent) because it is half way between fort lauderdale airport and MIA. My son works out of Port Everglades (next to FLL) my daughter works in MIA and I fly in/out of both very often. It works for us.
I completely disagree. Look at Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, and East Kendall. Why live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood in Broward when you can live in a much more established area that is closer to MIA? $700,000 can buy a beautiful home in all of the nice, safe neighborhoods that I have named.

As for private (non-religious) schools, most of them are very pricey (Ransom Everglades, Gulliver, etc.). Parochial schools (Epiphany, Lourdes, Columbus, Westminster, Belen, etc.) are much cheaper. I've heard that Westminster (not Catholic) is around $12,000/year now and that the Catholic schools are up to $8000 or so. Don't quote me on those numbers, though!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Trekker954 Thanks for the info, I should have said MIA. My husband will be working there. I googled Broward and it seems to be by Ft. Lauderdale and not close to MIA. Thanks for responding!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I completely disagree. Look at Coral Gables, South Miami, Pinecrest, and East Kendall. Why live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood in Broward when you can live in a much more established area that is closer to MIA? $700,000 can buy a beautiful home in all of the nice, safe neighborhoods that I have named.

As for private (non-religious) schools, most of them are very pricey (Ransom Everglades, Gulliver, etc.). Parochial schools (Epiphany, Lourdes, Columbus, Westminster, Belen, etc.) are much cheaper. I've heard that Westminster (not Catholic) is around $12,000/year now and that the Catholic schools are up to $8000 or so. Don't quote me on those numbers, though!

Thank you, I will look into these areas.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM

11 posts, read 15,524 times
Thumbs down Welcome To Hell

Miami-Dade is a crap hole of epic proportions. Listen to Trekker... I also live in Western Miramar and my fiance and I think it's much more tolerable. In Miami-Dade, the traffic is insane and the crime is out of control. It's EVERYWHERE. Your kids will hate it. Trust me...the commute up to W. Miramar from MIA is NOT THAT BAD and it's worth sitting in traffic for. Don't get me wrong, people still get murdered here...just not as often. Ahhh, I remember our first week here. There was a few killings down the road, and some lunatic lit himself on fire in the local mall. But anyway, hell, you'll be sitting in the SAME AMOUNT of traffic getting to Coral Gables or Pinecrest or anywhere else in Miami-Dade between 4:30 and 7 PM. Also - get ready for the Spanish overload. Espanol everywhere you go. There will be no more English, at least the English you know and love in Michigan. You know what else you can kiss goodbye? Winter clothes. All of your nice pants and sweaters are about to get shoved into a box and never seen again. It sucks ass...and Christmas will never be the same. Welcome to HELL, baby!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
NCLawya2012, what makes you say his kids won't like Miami? Maybe they are one of those "plastic" people XD

Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM

139 posts, read 383,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLawyer2010 View Post
Miami-Dade is a crap hole of epic proportions. Listen to Trekker... I also live in Western Miramar and my fiance and I think it's much more tolerable. In Miami-Dade, the traffic is insane and the crime is out of control. It's EVERYWHERE. Your kids will hate it. Trust me...the commute up to W. Miramar from MIA is NOT THAT BAD and it's worth sitting in traffic for. Don't get me wrong, people still get murdered here...just not as often. Ahhh, I remember our first week here. There was a few killings down the road, and some lunatic lit himself on fire in the local mall. But anyway, hell, you'll be sitting in the SAME AMOUNT of traffic getting to Coral Gables or Pinecrest or anywhere else in Miami-Dade between 4:30 and 7 PM. Also - get ready for the Spanish overload. Espanol everywhere you go. There will be no more English, at least the English you know and love in Michigan. You know what else you can kiss goodbye? Winter clothes. All of your nice pants and sweaters are about to get shoved into a box and never seen again. It sucks ass...and Christmas will never be the same. Welcome to HELL, baby!!!
unsolicited advice: think this way about anything and it'll suck just as bad!

NC, you sure have displayed some poor grammar; hope you're not a real lawyer.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,867,973 times
find a house/ (condo in fountainebleau comes with a pool and everything else a condo building comes with)

you can get a 2bed2bath for about 200-400k depending on condo building, near the airport, traffic will be bad depending on the time you leave

crime is ok, there have been a couple of murders in the area, but they are murder suicides domestic related, others have been about drugs, so just stay away from bad and 90% of the time nothing bad wil happen

Old 09-14-2010, 07:33 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
unsolicited advice: think this way about anything and it'll suck just as bad!

NC, you sure have displayed some poor grammar; hope you're not a real lawyer.
Itz ze internetz, anythung gowz

People from the internet like to choose a signature grammar, it has to do with their egos and internet persona.

I, for example, choose to write in LOLCATS grammar; though sometimes, you have to make it clear for some people, they won't know what you are saying or why you are writing like diz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami