Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times

Advertisements

it's Islandmorada, we don't say morada

Yes you need a house, make sure you get an alarm system and renters insurance as soon as you move and before you leave the place alone. Some renters get burglarized the first month they move. one of my coworkers moved to a house in that crime ridden hell called Kendall and they stole her TVs, computers, and took the drawers with the contents inside. they got in through a window they broke with a brick. Don't keep your valuables in obvious places like drawers I don't want to scare you but this happened last month. it can happen anywhere but when you move you don't know the kind of people that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
it's Islandmorada, we don't say morada
It's actually Islamorada ("purple isle") - the name comes from the observations of the early Spanish settlors of the area that the sky turned a brilliant purple as the sun set. The sunset around there is one of the most beautiful I have seen in the world, and during the day, the water is a lovely turqoise color. In my opinion, one of the prettiest spots in the Keys is when you approach Craig Key from the south, just south of Islamorada. I'll post a couple of pictures here:

Quote:
crime ridden hell called Kendall
I don't know why you have such a vendetta against Kendall. Even the cookie-cutter parts of far-west Kendall are lower-middle class and pretty safe. Most areas to the east are very well-kept, safe, and even expensive.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
He misses his Daddy Yankee CD

Hialeah, you can always buy a new one heheheheh

Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
dude the guy said he wants to rent & he has like 3 dogs so YOU DUDE are not paying attention to the poster needs
Ok true is true and right is right - I'll give ya that - I was wrong - you're right - he needs a house. I was just throwing out ideas ...

Quote:
and you can smell the sea from a1a? dude you have quite an imagination.
Yeah, we'll except for the fact I lived on Collins Ave for a year and a half and drove A1A on my motorcycle several hundred times, I guess there's probably no reason to suppose I know what I'm talking about other than my lucid imagination ...

Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
My son and I had a conversation last night about the dogs. I'm not sure we have the heart to re-home them but we know we are making huge concessions to keep them. That topic is still on going.

They are such a part of our family and given the horrendous loss we both just went through I'm not sure either of us are ready to give up another loved one right now unless we rehomed them to someone who would give them a better quality of life than they have now. We can both be pretty "city brutal" and self absorbed at times, but we are not completely heartless. "Our dogs" it's complicated.

We had another quality of life conversation and this one was about us. We stopped at the lake, watched the sun go down over the water, there were some people paddling in canoes and an outdoor concert nearby we could hear. We talked about me time, leaving the cell phones at home and just hanging out, doing nothing but chilling. That's not something we do much here, it's all about getting ahead every waking hour.

The conversation revolved around what our priorities might be when we get to soflo. We decided, it was not going to be all about SoBe, but instead more SoMe. Take time to do nothing at all and just enjoy doing nothing. My son asked me how large the mosquitoes might be and I mumbled my response,"probably as big a butterflies".

So, maybe Florida has already had an impact of us, we have an idea how life might be and how we would like to live there which is different than where we live now. Even if we never got to soflo, that conversation was worth having and I think we both realigned our priorities if simply for that moment.

Ah yes, the Keys! At least we think that now. We will be there, the 21st, 22nd and 24th that we know of right now. It could be 23rd and 25th as well depending on what the customers require.

Even what we do in the keys is dependent on "the dogs". If we move and arrive in Miami on the 20th, we put the dogs in the house and drive to Islamorada the afternoon of the 21st, work until 8:00pm then drive back to Miami, the next day we drive back down there and work until 10:00 PM then drive back to Miami. We have to be back down there on the 24th so that's another trip down and back.

If we do move, we will leave here at 1:00 am Oct 17th, drive 1328 miles and be in soflo no later than the 20th, then drive at least another 400 miles back and forth from the keys until the 25th. My butt is tired of sitting just thinking about it and let's not forget the 1328 is with 3 dogs.

If we don't move this trip, then it's much different. I have that trip all planned as a backup, down to where we are going to stay, eat and have fun and when along with mucho Miami time.

We should know today which plan we will put in place. If moving, we have 8 days from today before we leave and nothing is really decided as of today. October is typically a busy month for my business and this Oct. is no exception. Not only do I have to move in 8 days but I have to work my butt of as well and it's the same for my son.

The pressure is about to be "on" and my son and I can't afford any time mistakes to make this move a reality. Frankly, we have bigger fish to fry this month than driving A1A, but we'll get to it if we survive all this.

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 10-08-2010 at 04:52 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
It's actually Islamorada ("purple isle") - the name comes from the observations of the early Spanish settlors of the area that the sky turned a brilliant purple as the sun set. The sunset around there is one of the most beautiful I have seen in the world, and during the day, the water is a lovely turqoise color. In my opinion, one of the prettiest spots in the Keys is when you approach Craig Key from the south, just south of Islamorada. I'll post a couple of pictures here:
Hey Crisp, thanks for the pics. I'm sure I'll have a few to share too.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
You're welcome. I hope your son gets the job so that you can make your move. It sounds like you both are excited about the prospects of it, and I think you have a good mindset when it comes to learning about new places and meeting new people.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
There's a lot of people who need any work they can get in SoFL. You guys can probably hire a dogwalker or use a doggy day care till you get oriented. Hire one of those ultra-sweet little Cubanas to come let the pooches out while you're at work.

Here's a list of Kennels in Miami:
Kennels - Miami, Florida
Dog Walkers:
miami dog walker - Google Search

There are no mosquitoes on Miami Beach. They can't breed in the salt water. I assume the same will be true anywhere right on the water. Sand fleas after dark and roaches however ...

Now West Side getting out by the Glades, well the skeeter situation there may be entirely different.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think you have a good mindset .
You mean panicked?

I had a bit of a panic attack this morning when I realized the magnitude of all this. It got real, REAL fast. I spoke to my step dad and he started crying, which in turn, well...I'd rather not go there.

Then I made a call to a dog trainer friend of mine who I would consider rehoming my dogs to and the good news was she was not available. I'm not convinced I can rehome these dogs and just the thought made me swallow hard.

I have really exception dogs and one is a nearly a therapy dog, the other one has an IQ of 160. Both I rescued from a shelter and trained personally. We are "well" connected and I can't just do that to them. I promised them a forever home and can't back up on my promise.

If there are any dog lovers here, this is a post I wrote about my Border Collie Jax going from being euthanized to getting his CGC certification. Once you read this, you'll know he's not just "some" dog and I suspect you'll see how proud I am of him. Jax got his CGC!

I did have some levity as I envisioned us all going down the road with everything we own. It might look like the Beverly Hillbillies and I'm uncle Jed. The only difference is I'll be towing a BMW and my son doesn't wear a rope belt.

My son left this morning and said he would call me about 1:00, he said he'll either say, rent a truck or buy plane tickets. I'll do one or the other today because we have run out of time now and all the plans must in place one way or another. I put 3 Realtors on speed dial just in case. Today might be the day to shut up and finally do something.

I'm not sure what our attitude should be other than keep an open mind. It's a good career move for my son and Miami has breathed some new life into my business. He likes it there and I'm always up for a new adventure. Frankly, we both feel a little stagnant here, and besides I tan very easily.

Thanks for the encouragement Crisp44, it's much appreciated.
~j

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
There's a lot of people who need any work they can get in SoFL. You guys can probably hire a dogwalker or use a doggy day care till you get oriented. Hire one of those ultra-sweet little Cubanas to come let the pooches out while you're at work.

Here's a list of Kennels in Miami:
Kennels - Miami, Florida
Dog Walkers:
miami dog walker - Google Search
Thanks for the links Boston, I've book marked those. I did do some research on this at least from an overnight stay perspective. I spoke to about 10 boarders and this guy I liked the best. Home

He's out in west Kendall I think, but he's a dog person like I am.He's the only one I have found that I felt comfortable leaving my pooches with and he's very reasonably priced as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami