Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking information about Miami, Florida area, good and bad issues, Dolphin Expressway, South Florida, crime rates, cost of living, little community activism, rose colored glasses

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I think there should be push for English as a NATIONAL language. That would prevent the rest of the U.S from becoming Miami in 25 years, and help with social division between American and Hispanic/ other immigrant groups. Whitehouse.gov is in spanish for crying out loud!
Agreed, but a call for English would probably be called "racist" and "discriminatory" against those who wish to speak their own language or some such nonsense.

I feel bitter today.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 PM

44 posts, read 114,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Agreed, but a call for English would probably be called "racist" and "discriminatory" against those who wish to speak their own language or some such nonsense.

I feel bitter today.
I share that feeling...

To those people, I say "tough!". They CHOSE to move to the USA and therefore, they must know that English is the common language.

I honestly don't care what language people use when they're at home, or with friends who are the same nationality as them. However, I pretty much take offence when I am made to feel like an outcast for simply speaking English and I feel that English should be made compulsary, especially at work.

It's one thing to accept different cultures and embrace diversity, but it's another thing to watch your own culture get steamrollered by someone else's culture in your own country.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
I share that feeling...

To those people, I say "tough!". They CHOSE to move to the USA and therefore, they must know that English is the common language.

I honestly don't care what language people use when they're at home, or with friends who are the same nationality as them. However, I pretty much take offence when I am made to feel like an outcast for simply speaking English and I feel that English should be made compulsary, especially at work.

It's one thing to accept different cultures and embrace diversity, but it's another thing to watch your own culture get steamrollered by someone else's culture in your own country.
That is absoultely how I feel about the language debate. Honestly, I don't even care if you speak your native language with your family out in at the store or something, as long as you speak English when it comes times to pay. I honestly think Broward still has a fighting chance of retaining English as a first language. My hope was restored yesterday when I was eating at a restaurant, and the latin-looking guy behind me was speaking perfect spanish, and then, when the (hispanic/heavy accent) waitress came, he said with an American/Southern twang "What do you have on tap? Nothin like an ice cold beer". He continued to go back in fourth with his family in his beyond-perfect English to Spanish, but only spoke English with the waitress. I see similar almost everywhere here. I mean, you hear a lot of Spanish spoken, but I can say it has been rare to find someone that did not at least attempt to speak English, except in areas fringing on Dade County. One of the things I love most about my area it the cultural diversity, and when people are united by a common language, you get to experience it in a way like no other.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 114,635 times
Quote:
That is absoultely how I feel about the language debate. Honestly, I don't even care if you speak your native language with your family out in at the store or something, as long as you speak English when it comes times to pay. I honestly think Broward still has a fighting chance of retaining English as a first language. My hope was restored yesterday when I was eating at a restaurant, and the latin-looking guy behind me was speaking perfect spanish, and then, when the (hispanic/heavy accent) waitress came, he said with an American/Southern twang "What do you have on tap? Nothin like an ice cold beer". He continued to go back in fourth with his family in his beyond-perfect English to Spanish, but only spoke English with the waitress. I see similar almost everywhere here. I mean, you hear a lot of Spanish spoken, but I can say it has been rare to find someone that did not at least attempt to speak English, except in areas fringing on Dade County. One of the things I love most about my area it the cultural diversity, and when people are united by a common language, you get to experience it in a way like no other.
I feel the same way as you do. One thing I like about New York is that you hear a million and one different languages on the subway. Diversity really works when you have a bunch of people from different cultures who all assimilate and unite under one language when it matters, i.e. in the workplace, while keeping in touch with their cultural identity at the same time. This is something clearly lacking in Miami - Spanish is taking over in every sense and if you don't speak it, you're left out in the cold.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
I feel the same way as you do. One thing I like about New York is that you hear a million and one different languages on the subway. Diversity really works when you have a bunch of people from different cultures who all assimilate and unite under one language when it matters, i.e. in the workplace, while keeping in touch with their cultural identity at the same time. This is something clearly lacking in Miami - Spanish is taking over in every sense and if you don't speak it, you're left out in the cold.
The thing about Broward is that we DO have a few more cultures then just Latins, and that interestingly enough, the wealthier areas tend to be the more ethnically diverse ones, and also the areas with the lower crime rates. The thing about Miami is that the waves of immigration became so large and uncontrolled, that there was little time to assimilate, and now you have today's divided Miami and its corresponding attitude.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:46 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,155 times
Quote:
The thing about Broward is that we DO have a few more cultures then just Latins, and that interestingly enough, the wealthier areas tend to be the more ethnically diverse ones, and also the areas with the lower crime rates. The thing about Miami is that the waves of immigration became so large and uncontrolled, that there was little time to assimilate, and now you have today's divided Miami and its corresponding attitude.
Broward is more "diverse " than Dade ... not only do you have Hispanics of different nationalities other than Cuban, but you have more people from the English speaking Caribbean as well as from Haiti , also Canadians, Asians and large Ukranian and Romanian areas . I still believe that Broward is still several years from becoming like Miami - Dade .

Old 07-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
Broward is more "diverse " than Dade ... not only do you have Hispanics of different nationalities other than Cuban, but you have more people from the English speaking Caribbean as well as from Haiti , also Canadians, Asians and large Ukranian and Romanian areas . I still believe that Broward is still several years from becoming like Miami - Dade .
On top of that you have Jews, the only Italian-Pularity county outside of the Northeast, and plain old white Americans. No group is excluded here.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,155 times
Quote:
On top of that you have Jews, the only Italian-Pularity county outside of the Northeast, and plain old white Americans. No group is excluded here.
I know there are a lot of Italians in Coral Springs ... but what is "Italian -Pularity " ?

Old 07-08-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
I know there are a lot of Italians in Coral Springs ... but what is "Italian -Pularity " ?
They make up the highest percentage of ethnicity, but less than a majority. Just like Broward County is 49.9 percent non hispanic white, making it a plurality, but not majority white county. If it were 50 percent, it would be white- Majority. Most Broward communities are dominated by Italian ancestry within thier white community except for some eastern communities. Check out CDs ancestry stats!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
OK, sorry all, but this thread that started out as a "please lets not be so negative about Miami in this forum" (to summarize) and now it is a "What is the official language, and what it should be and why in both FL and the U.S.A.
So it is time to close it. If someone wants to start a new thread on the topic, ok, just keep it Miami, or it will be moved to the political and other controversies forum.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami