Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times

Advertisements

English Major? I would not spend the money for UM as a english Major. Not exactly sure what you do with a major in english teach i guess?
I would apply and maybe visit. Also apply to FIU. UM is a good school but where do you live? Are there any good in state schools near you? Any private school or even state school out of state is going to cost a lot of money.

I would apply and see what happens. I applied to a lot of schools and then got into my number one choice. Its all up to you. The school is good in academics but its name is not. People think of UM not as a good academic school (undergraduate) but it actually is.
I am not a big fan of the campus, its small, not that great looking and very isolate IMO. I am used to a city campus in DC where I can get anywhere with out of car and there are places to eat/shop 24/7 with no problems, I just could not imagine going to school with a campus like UM.

My suggestion, apply to schools and visit them! Spend a day at each one, see them at night, walk around eat food near by etc..

*FIU is a better school then FAU. At least it has much better name, and people in Miami know the school and know a lot of people who go there. FIU future is very promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 PM

26 posts, read 156,759 times
Thank you all for your input. I guess that I shall stay at the university that I am currently attending. It looks like I will have to prolong my dream a little longer.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:57 PM

31 posts, read 71,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan el Capitan View Post
I want to know whether I should go to the University of Miami? I have met all the academic requirements and I have plenty of references, both professional and academic. Is U of M a good school and will it prepare me for a good career and other positive opportunities or am I better off going somewhere else? What are the professors, faculty, and students like? How is the surrounding area? Is it worth taking out tens of thousands of dollars in loans, just to live my dream of living in South Florida?
I would say it depends what your major is. My cousing wasted here money going to UM to get a teaching degree and paid double what you pay by going to Miami-Dade College for the same degree.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Like what others said, it really depends on the degree.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I will add to what others said, it depends on the degree.

My opinion, but UM is over priced for what it is in almost every category. Not saying it is a bad school or anything, because it is not, but I do not think the state schools are so bad that the cost difference of going to UM is worth it.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:54 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
Why don't you get your AA at MDCC and your BA at FIU?
You'll save tons of money and you might be eligible for grants, BEOG, etc.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Why don't you get your AA at MDCC and your BA at FIU?
You'll save tons of money and you might be eligible for grants, BEOG, etc.
AA at Miami Dade then complete the bachelors at FIU. Imagine all the $$ youll save
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami