Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 AM

17 posts, read 63,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Some people are stooooooooooooooooo STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID

Vagrants are tough reality for Edgewater condo owners - 07/04/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

When Lily Azel and her husband forked over nearly $750,000 for a condo at Blue, a swanky new tower on 36th Street just east of Biscayne Boulevard, they weren't just sold a luxury home with turquoise-tinted windows and a gleaming stainless steel kitchen.

They were sold a vision of a fabulous new midtown Miami. But that doesn't quite gel with what they see when they leave their home.

Welcome to Edgewater, where die-hard old grit collides with new flash every day.

''We knew there was some of that element,'' Azel said, referring to the squads of vagrants and panhandlers who populate the area near the condo. She moved to Blue last year from Weston. ``But we were led to believe the whole area would be revamped into this great midtown.''

To make matters worse, Azel and her neighbors were shocked to recently learn that the state was stashing a quintet of convicted sex offenders a few hundred yards to the east, under the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

While organizing residents to address the problems, Azel reached out to Blue's more crime-weary neighbors at the Charter Club, a 31-year-old condo situated across 36th Street, to organize a Crime Watch.

SIMILAR COMPLAINTS

Victor McGlone, an educator who has lived at the Charter Club for nine years, said folks in his building have often found homeless people bathing in the fountain in front of their building's lobby. His neighbors also meet with harassment at the traffic light and Shell gas station at the intersection of Biscayne and 36th Street.

''Everyone at the Charter Club has complained about it for a long time,'' McGlone said. ``But I think we just didn't know what to do.''

Residents of the two buildings recently held their first Crime Watch organizational meeting, and discussed strategies like organizing phone chains, appointing ''floor captains'' and keeping an eye on each others' parking lots.

According to residents, panhandlers are everywhere, stretching out their hands at the Biscayne Boulevard traffic light, at the door -- and gas pumps -- of the Shell gas station and at the drive-through lanes of Taco Bell and McDonald's.

''They hang out in the little park and under the bridges,'' said Azel, who has been closely monitoring Stearns Park from her balcony. The park lies just north of Blue and is split into two sections by the lanes of I-195. ``I've seen drug dealers in the park selling stuff to these people. Then they go off under the bridges to get high.''

Blue resident David Ziegelman said he has seen aggressive gas-station vagrants try to intimidate women into giving them money.

''It's gotten so that I don't want my girlfriend filling up at the Shell station because you just never know what these guys are gonna do,'' he said. ``I feel like I'm a sitting target, just waiting to get accosted.''

CONSTANT PROBLEM

Alan Rosenblum, who owns the Shell station at 36th and Biscayne, also plans to join the Crime Watch. ''It's a constant problem at my station,'' he said of the vagrants. ``They scare my customers, especially the ladies, and I lose business. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much the city can do.''

At the top of everyone's mind at the meeting were the sex offenders living under the causeway.

Darrell Nichols, an Upper Eastside neighborhood resource officer, tried to ease residents' anxiety about the offenders, which the state's corrections department recently placed under the nearby causeway after a county ordinance -- meant to keep them away from kids -- left them unable to find housing.

Nichols said the ex-cons were tucked under a bridge farther east along the Tuttle than most Blue residents originally thought.

''They are very closely monitored,'' he assured neighbors, ``and every day they are visited by an officer at about 4 or 5 a.m., and they have to be there. That bridge is basically their legal address.''

Albert Guerra, one of Edgewater's neighborhood resource officers, told residents that dealing with the panhandlers can be tricky, particularly if they are homeless. He cited a 1988 lawsuit in which thousands of homeless sued the city for arresting them just for living on the street. The city settled a decade later.

WATCH EACH OTHER

He advised the high-rise dwellers to watch each other's parking lots and surrounding public areas from their windows or balconies.

''When you see anything, call us. Your information is crucial,'' he said.

Peter Megler, a Realtor and vice president of the Blue's board of directors, said the condo's developers extolled the transformation expected for Edgewater when pitching to buyers.

''I moved here from New York because I could feel the energy in this town,'' said Megler, whose condo cost $396,489. ``But many of us don't feel like we're getting our money's worth.''
Developers can call the area swanky or whatever they want, but the area around the charter club is a dump. always has been. Just like the area north of the palmetto and 57ave/165 st, That area is Carol City now its called Miami Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
You also have to wonder when these people went to see the condos...what they thought at that time...didn't they notice all of the bums and prostitutes in the area outside of their gated compound? I guess people were enarmoured with the view and the pro$pect$ or re$ale value. Maybe they have now realized that no one locally can purchase their overpriced condos and now they have to stay with them and DEAL with the problems, what an F-ing nightmare!

We have been posting about the REAL Miami on here for months, and there has always been the cliché reply that we are negative, the rest of the US is just as bad or worse and we are clueless. Well, I think it is obvious that the pro Miami camp is living in a fantasy world that only exists behind their gated compounds, in their ivory towers and at Bal Harbour Mall.

If you are rich and self-centered, you will love Miami. You can insulate yourself from everything. These people seem like, heavan forbid, nuevo-rich! I guess they didn't have enough to buy in one of the Bay Islands. Boo hoo hoo! Now imagine dealing with these same complaints everyday, and having to send your kids to local schools, earning 40K a year, in an old house without a view of the ocean and not having security walls. And actually having to use that drug den of a park for your kids since you don't have a club membership. THAT would be a travesty. At least these people have money to truely isolate themselves from these problems...there only brush with them is when they HAVE to get out og their cars to get gas or roll down the window at Taco Bell. THEN the hell is real to them.

This article is definantly poetic justice for all of those bozos who ignored common sense and believed realtors over "negative" posters. They inflated prices to ridiculous levels, as if Miami were the New York of the South. Well now they know that is BS. Unfortunately, in Miami, you do NOT get what you pay for...

And it is very interesting to note that someone in the article mentioned how it has taken decades for Edgewater to become decent on that stretch of Biscayne. So why should the renaisance be any quicker south of there? You can build a condo high rise, but doesn't mean people or businesses will come. The less "desireables" always will live there, it is like that in most cities, they live in or near downtown areas, and in Miami if you are homeless, where would yo choose: Inland or at the water? BINGO at the water, just like all of the rose colored investors!

Some people will never learn....but then again, "all" cities are like this....haha

Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 AM

6 posts, read 14,810 times
So you actually believe that every condo buyer in maimi comes to this forum, reads the very few positive posts, then ignores the endless negative posts, then buys based on this board? I doubt 99% of buyers even know about this site.
If you are so unhappy why don't you move. Just cause you are very unhappy does not mean others can not be happy, nor does it mean you have to predict doom and gloom for every person moving to miami.
No i am not a realtor, i would not buy anything in maimi unless it was a 2 million dollar place away from all the crime you speak of.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 AM

All of the positive rose colored comments that are written on here...are examples of what biased (realtors and investors) feed into buyers from out of the area. They present a picture of paradise that is no realer than a postcard. The way the forum reads, negativity and blind positivism, is real. Miami is extreme and out posts represent how people feel in the community. Just like in the real community when people (usually newbies or relos or investers) over promote the area as something that the natives know it not to be, we stand up and give out life long experience. But then there is always the nebie who has lived here for under five years and loves it only because it is cheaper than NYC, has warm water and palm trees. The rest doesn't matter because they have already made money somewhere else...and do not have to live like a local lifeong resident.

People are unhappy everywhere, but to a much higher dregree in Miami. Things are not so simplistic as to just move as you tell me to do. Contracts exisists, jobs, family issues and ties keep you in a place. Just because I can admit to Miami's problems does not mean i hate it. I like Miami, I just hate many things about it and my fellow residents. It has really changed recently, but I don't agree with the philosophy of packing up and moving when things change. That kind of mentality is responsible for white flight and poverty in many cities. Instead I stay here, deal, try to improve by planting trees in my neighborhood, volunteering, organizing a crime watch and being a vigilant neighbor. Even with all of that, life is not perfect. I will not ignore the reality of life here just because some people are still in the honeymoon phase. If you love Miami, I am glad for you. That monumental optimisim is good and will serve you well. But do not "call people out" for saying it like it is...

Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
All of the positive rose colored comments that are written on here...are examples of what biased (realtors and investors) feed into buyers from out of the area. They present a picture of paradise that is no realer than a postcard. The way the forum reads, negativity and blind positivism, is real. Miami is extreme and out posts represent how people feel in the community. Just like in the real community when people (usually newbies or relos or investers) over promote the area as something that the natives know it not to be, we stand up and give out life long experience. But then there is always the nebie who has lived here for under five years and loves it only because it is cheaper than NYC, has warm water and palm trees. The rest doesn't matter because they have already made money somewhere else...and do not have to live like a local lifeong resident.

People are unhappy everywhere, but to a much higher dregree in Miami. Things are not so simplistic as to just move as you tell me to do. Contracts exisists, jobs, family issues and ties keep you in a place. Just because I can admit to Miami's problems does not mean i hate it. I like Miami, I just hate many things about it and my fellow residents. It has really changed recently, but I don't agree with the philosophy of packing up and moving when things change. That kind of mentality is responsible for white flight and poverty in many cities. Instead I stay here, deal, try to improve by planting trees in my neighborhood, volunteering, organizing a crime watch and being a vigilant neighbor. Even with all of that, life is not perfect. I will not ignore the reality of life here just because some people are still in the honeymoon phase. If you love Miami, I am glad for you. That monumental optimisim is good and will serve you well. But do not "call people out" for saying it like it is...
I have a challenge for you.

Do something about it. Be an activist. Run for government. If they won't vote for you, find a like minded Latino (I have met plenty of them) and convince them. Ever tried it? I am very happy that you try to improve your community, and that is of great character, but I still think you should run for office. If you hvae to, deceive the people into being one of the "rose colored glasses" types!

I actually gave you rep for that post, because you brought up many truths about the modern Miami (and American city), but it would not let me finish my message (I accidentally hit the enter key)

Old 07-06-2007, 10:46 AM

I think nowadays to be a politician you have to be wealthy...plus someone has to support your campaign..but I am really sickened by politicas (local). I think there is so much corruption it really would take many new politicos..not just one...

But I see it more realisitcaly that citizens need to improve their areas first, demand better officials and stop voting for people with shady backgrounds. (Yes, I voted to increase the county commisioner's salaries years back-so we could get people doing those jobs to live off of it, and not have to cater to lobbyists and special interests). I think when the quality of year round residents here improves, as does education and meaningful employment (if ever), things will improve greatly.

Finish your post, it was looking good hehe.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
I think nowadays to be a politician you have to be wealthy...plus someone has to support your campaign..but I am really sickened by politicas (local). I think there is so much corruption it really would take many new politicos..not just one...

But I see it more realisitcaly that citizens need to improve their areas first, demand better officials and stop voting for people with shady backgrounds. (Yes, I voted to increase the county commisioner's salaries years back-so we could get people doing those jobs to live off of it, and not have to cater to lobbyists and special interests). I think when the quality of year round residents here improves, as does education and meaningful employment (if ever), things will improve greatly.

It is true that what we have today is, in theory,similar to a plutocracy.A lot of politicians started out as typical, working class people and built their way up, though, so realize that there are exceptions to the plutocracy rule!

I am a strong believer in an education system system that build character, as it is that slow but steady progress that brings productive citizens to a community, and a skilled workforce to attract REAL commerce. As a graduate of Broward County Schools, I have thought about running for school board. I believe I received an excellent education, but the same can not be said for many areas of this county. I think Broward schools are about, say, 5-10 years behind Dade, and once the schools hit that rock bottom, everything else starts hitting that rock bottom. It's the reason that Miami Dade and many American cities are in shambles today!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-06-2007 at 11:18 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Quote:

+1 rep from me.

Sometimes it does appear that we need to just clean the slate and have a whole new set of leaders. Corruption is hard to root out, especially if its well established. One politician at a time will help, but one person cannot clean up the government alone.

I like your theory behind the approval of raising salaries. I think the President of the US is still at $400,000/year. This is a lot for people like us, but come on. CEO's of major corporations, sports stars, rock stars, etc. make MILLIONS per year. It seems to me that the President of the US should be the most important person in the country and should be compensated as such to help make them impartial to the money bullies (special interests).

Old 07-06-2007, 12:05 PM

58 posts, read 193,723 times
Jeez, guys, I guess the glass is not half full?!
I mean:

Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:

Nicely sad, I just got back from a trip to Manhatten, the people there are much more friendly and kind to one another. Got back to Miami and with in 30 min, tried to merge into a lane and a guy in a jeep cherokee wouldn't let us in, almost forcing us to hit a wall. Just reminds me why we want to leave Miami.

You know people on here that tell postives only on here truely are giving those that are thinking about moving to South Florida a false impression. People like Cixel (who are banned now) are the ones that were trying to tell the real truth about what it is really like in South Florida. I remember people asking about condos just north of downtown, and I warned them, but then the realtors would post saying it is fine and safe. And of course the people choice not to believe me, yet i was the one tell the real truth. You know I wish Miami didn't have the problems it has, but it does have major issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami