U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,388,916 times

Advertisements

Some people are stooooooooooooooooo STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID

Vagrants are tough reality for Edgewater condo owners - 07/04/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

When Lily Azel and her husband forked over nearly $750,000 for a condo at Blue, a swanky new tower on 36th Street just east of Biscayne Boulevard, they weren't just sold a luxury home with turquoise-tinted windows and a gleaming stainless steel kitchen.

They were sold a vision of a fabulous new midtown Miami. But that doesn't quite gel with what they see when they leave their home.

Welcome to Edgewater, where die-hard old grit collides with new flash every day.

''We knew there was some of that element,'' Azel said, referring to the squads of vagrants and panhandlers who populate the area near the condo. She moved to Blue last year from Weston. ``But we were led to believe the whole area would be revamped into this great midtown.''

To make matters worse, Azel and her neighbors were shocked to recently learn that the state was stashing a quintet of convicted sex offenders a few hundred yards to the east, under the Julia Tuttle Causeway.

While organizing residents to address the problems, Azel reached out to Blue's more crime-weary neighbors at the Charter Club, a 31-year-old condo situated across 36th Street, to organize a Crime Watch.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: edited out copyright article.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 28,725,046 times
Different story, same cliche. How is this post productive?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:56 PM

44 posts, read 105,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Some people are stooooooooooooooooo STUPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID
I read this article through a link from another more "pro-Miami" forum. In that forum, someone replied along the lines of "get rid of the homeless people". Such is the prevailing attitude here in good ol' MIA - sweep the poor and helpless under the rug to make way for the almighty rich n' stupid (rich and stupid because you'd have to be both rich and stupid to pay $750k for a condo in this place).

This is what happens when you live in a city with such huge economic and social division - and it's only going to get worse, IMHO. I realize that this is happening all over the US, but it seems to be happening here in Miami on a far more extreme level.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 PM

44 posts, read 209,108 times
Thanks for the post! I think the beauty of the buildings blind some people into buying so this article is good for awareness. Unbelievable how much money these developers are making and it's just a building...nothing is being done with the surrounding areas (although they keep saying they're "fixing" it up)

Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post

This is what happens when you live in a city with such huge economic and social division - and it's only going to get worse, IMHO. I realize that this is happening all over the US, but it seems to be happening here in Miami on a far more extreme level.
It is actually more ahead of the rest of the U.S rather than happening here at an extreme level. Miami IS the American city of the future. About 10 years ahead of the rest of the United States.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
It is actually more ahead of the rest of the U.S rather than happening here at an extreme level. Miami IS the American city of the future. About 10 years ahead of the rest of the United States.
Then I'm moving to Canada!

Sadly, unless attitudes change, I see this city becoming almost as bad as Sao Paulo in terms of extremes of rich and poor. There will be no middle class left and while the rich will live in their mansions and luxury condos, secure in their own little worlds and cut off from the rest of Miami, the rest of Miami will descend further into a huge ghetto sprawl and I would't be surprised to see shanty towns popping up.

Sorry for the somewhat gloomy outlook - I just don't see things improving unless the "me" society learn to give a damn about others.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 PM

564 posts, read 1,780,448 times
Quote:
Sad but true.

The social division of Miami is really astounding for the US. The only other city I've lived in where I saw a larger gap is Makati, Philippines. Imagine even fewer rich people than Miami and a bunch of shanty towns IN the downtown area.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Then I'm moving to Canada!

Sadly, unless attitudes change, I see this city becoming almost as bad as Sao Paulo in terms of extremes of rich and poor. There will be no middle class left and while the rich will live in their mansions and luxury condos, secure in their own little worlds and cut off from the rest of Miami, the rest of Miami will descend further into a huge ghetto sprawl and I would't be surprised to see shanty towns popping up.

Sorry for the somewhat gloomy outlook - I just don't see things improving unless the "me" society learn to give a damn about others.
Shanty towns have all ready popped up.Miami Activists "Take Over" Public Land to Build Shanty Town for Homeless : Miami IMC
Hardly the conditions of the Favelas of Sao Paulo, though.

This message, that you preach, once again, is totally cliche and reflects the future of the major cities of the United States.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Shanty towns have all ready popped up.Miami Activists "Take Over" Public Land to Build Shanty Town for Homeless : Miami IMC
Hardly the conditions of the Favelas of Sao Paulo, though.

This message, that you preach, once again, is totally cliche and reflects the future of the major cities of the United States.
I heard about that particular shanty town -- it was meant as a sort of protest against the lack of affordable housing.

I don't see the whole of the United States going the way of Miami (I really hope not). Many of Miami's problems are problems I've only encountered here. For instance, corruption on a local level is far worse than anywhere else I've encountered in the US. Development here is so rampant and seemingly unplanned. This is a city with the lowest wages in the US, yet some of the highest living costs. The particular batch of people that live in Miami are the biggest part of the problem, IMO. The customer service I'm accustomed to in other parts of the US is clearly missing here and this place lacks professionalism in every sense.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I heard about that particular shanty town -- it was meant as a sort of protest against the lack of affordable housing.

I don't see the whole of the United States going the way of Miami (I really hope not). Many of Miami's problems are problems I've only encountered here. For instance, corruption on a local level is far worse than anywhere else I've encountered in the US. Development here is so rampant and seemingly unplanned. This is a city with the lowest wages in the US, yet some of the highest living costs. The particular batch of people that live in Miami are the biggest part of the problem, IMO. The customer service I'm accustomed to in other parts of the US is clearly missing here and this place lacks professionalism in every sense.
Well, I agree entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami