Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Miami: employment, housing, weather, empty nest, entertainment, culture, different lifestyles

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 20,372 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Miami area and I would like to know about housing, employment and weather. I am coming from the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a degree in business, with 20 years experience in finance (private/government). I am divorce but my children are grown so I have the empty nest no need to stay here. I may be moving with my retired Mother who is very active in church and community service.

I grew up here left after High School and and move back 12 years ago.
I know that there are problems all over the country in most cities, but I am really tired of PGH. Being black here has no options, as far as entertainment, culture or otherwise.

I just want to know what is up with Miami and if it would be a good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
What kinds of things are you hoping that your new city will offer? What kind of housing would you want? Do you speak Spanish? There are many different areas of Miami that offer widely different lifestyles and environments.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
What kinds of things are you hoping that your new city will offer? What kind of housing would you want? Do you speak Spanish? There are many different areas of Miami that offer widely different lifestyles and environments.
No, I don't speak spanish, is that a requirement? I'm not sure what type of housing, rather we want a house or condo, it depends on the area and cost. Although I my house was cheap ($51,000, for 5 bedrooms, 2 full baths, fire place, double staircase, central heating, etc) but taxes and utilities are 3 times my mortgage.

I would like a more cultrual events (not just irish, german or italian) little more diversity. I would like to a place with public transportation, we have a car but I like riding the bus to work.

I did visit the Melbourne area last year, loved it, but they don't have public transportation and not alot goes on there. but the homes along Indian river are beautiful.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:39 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
You should also specify what you mean by "Miami area": downtown Miami, Miami-Dade County, or the whole tri-county area, including Broward and Palm Beach Counties?

Generally speaking, housing is less expensive than the northeast corridor (DC to Boston), but possibly more expensive than western Pennsylvania around the Pittsburgh area. Property taxes are probably about the same as in Pennsylvania, but Florida is in the midst of a homeowners insurance crisis due to the 2004-2005 hurricanes.
Unemployment is low, so you can probably find a job, but wages may be as little as half as the northeast corridor, I do not know how to compare to Pittsburgh. There are some high-power jobs in government, law, and finance that do pay very well.

"Miami area" weather is mostly tropical. It is hot and humid from May to October, the hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30. Around mid-November the temperature can drop to the 50s on some mornings, and the climate generally remains relatively dry and the temperature pleasant to around end-March. April is generally a transition month back to the hot and humid period.

If you want more information on quality of life issues, you must specify what you mean by "Miami area" and exactly where you are thinking of going.

In any case, good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 AM

44 posts, read 114,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDeanna View Post
No, I don't speak spanish, is that a requirement? I'm not sure what type of housing, rather we want a house or condo, it depends on the area and cost. Although I my house was cheap ($51,000, for 5 bedrooms, 2 full baths, fire place, double staircase, central heating, etc) but taxes and utilities are 3 times my mortgage.

I would like a more cultrual events (not just irish, german or italian) little more diversity. I would like to a place with public transportation, we have a car but I like riding the bus to work.

I did visit the Melbourne area last year, loved it, but they don't have public transportation and not alot goes on there. but the homes along Indian river are beautiful.
I'm sorry to say that there is very little in the way of mass transit here. This is a very car-orientated city and on top of that, traffic is horrible and drivers here are very bad.

As for cultural diversity, there is little going on in that sense. Miami Beach is diverse, but Miami Beach isn't like the rest of Miami. If you really want to move to Miami, I would suggest Miami Beach.

How much are you willing to spend on a condo? To be honest, you won't get much for less than around $200k.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:44 AM

If you are talking about Melbourne and Indian River, you are no longer in the Miami area and you are in the wrong forum.

Where are you going exactly? Maybe you should consult a map and get back to us with a more precise query.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
If you are talking about Melbourne and Indian River, you are no longer in the Miami area and you are in the wrong forum.

Where are you going exactly? Maybe you should consult a map and get back to us with a more precise query.

Good luck!
Yes, I did mention Melbourne area, I am well aware of where they are located. Don't need a map. I was referring to that area because I did visit there last year. I have not been to Miami area, or Dade county, plan on visiting in within a year. I was just trying to get an opinion on the Miami-Dade county area. Sorry I was not specific, but I really don't know the difference between various areas in Miami.

I have lived on the east coast, DC/MD area for 10 years, I do know that housing in these areas are one of the highest in the country. But, I do pefer inexpensive housing, we have an car, I just prefer public transportation. Believe me, public transportation is bascically non-exisiting here unless rush hour. Also employment here is awful, no room for advancement and there is not industry here to attact new business and certain.

I asking question specific to the Miami area, I know which forum I belong in.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 AM

The areas served by the Metrorail in central Dade County are among the most expensive in all of Florida, probably by now on a par with some northeastern cities. Very roughly speaking, buy prices are around $300 a square foot. In other words, a 1,000 sq.ft apartment will cost $300,000 and up, plus monthly maintenance fees and so on.

The employment situation is good, but in Miami-Dade County Spanish language skills are a requirement for a high percentage of jobs, though I can't put a precise figure on it.

While jobs are plentiful, pay is not, even as low as one-half compared to some northeastern cities.

Rentals in some of the better neighborhoods like Brickell, Roads, and Coral Gables can run from $1200 and up for a one or two-bedroom.

For quality of life issues, just follow any number of the hundreds of threads in this forum.

Probably most people on this forum would not recommend that you come to Miami-Dade County without Spanish language skills, a genuine interest in Latin American culture, and high income and/or high level of wealth.

But each one can measure himself.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 AM

124 posts, read 415,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDeanna View Post
I am looking to relocate to the Miami area and I would like to know about housing, employment and weather. I am coming from the Pittsburgh PA area. I have a degree in business, with 20 years experience in finance (private/government). I am divorce but my children are grown so I have the empty nest no need to stay here. I may be moving with my retired Mother who is very active in church and community service.

I grew up here left after High School and and move back 12 years ago.
I know that there are problems all over the country in most cities, but I am really tired of PGH. Being black here has no options, as far as entertainment, culture or otherwise.

I just want to know what is up with Miami and if it would be a good move.

Hello LadyDeanna, housing costs in Miami varies upon the area, and I am sure you will find a nice apartment, and a church for your mother to visit. Public transportation is free for seniors over 65, and its not too bad as far as frequency of stops, etc. Crime could be an issue depending where you live. Weather is nice if you like blue skies and lots of oceans, lakes, and the like. We have a downsized and that is humidity, but this is good for the skin. There are also hurricanes, but I have lived here for 40 some years, and it is only these last few years we had a back luck with those. Knowing Spanish is not required, but if you learn the language, it would be to your advantage. I go to a Christian church and our services are conducted in English, so are government offices etc. We have plenty of second generations latinos that are not fluent in Spanish, still if you want to be able to communicate better with the locals, and make many more friends, learning Spanish would be a plus. Latins love to mingle and talk.

Welcome to Miami! I love you will love your stay.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
we have had alot of difficulty finding a church. we're non demoninational/evangelical christians and its been very hard to find a church with friendly people. we just found one and now theyre changing pastors so we'll be looking again. they tried for 2 and a half years to find a pastor but no one wants to move down here.

there was a church we tried before but people were even hesitant to shake our hands and it was very cliqueish. thats just not how a church should be.
many people in the congregation of the church we're currently in seem to be from many other protestant denominations that simply didnt fit in anywhere else because they werent catholic, mormon or jehova's witness. the main corporate churches are down here but nothing for evangelicals/non denominational really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami