Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 04:21 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live in that area.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 PM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I wouldn't live in that area.

Well, I get that, but we have run out of time and options. We actually stayed at MotelBlue 7700 Biscayne for a few nights in Miami. We were looking for a cheap boutique type hotel and that's where we landed. I agree, not my first choice of areas either.

I told the Realtor we would take it and we talked a bit more. He compared the crime rate in upper east side to Surfside and he said actually this neighborhood has less break-ins. He said you might not think that but the Police reports seem to indicate it. FWIW.

Mapquest says it's 12 min. to my sons work and even if it's double that, it's within tolerable limits. It was cheap per month, cheap and fast to get into and updated to the max plus it has a bit of yard for my dog. We've met the downstairs neighbor and he's cool too. Looks like a good fit for everything we "need" right now so we'll fax our app in the morning and hope for the best.

Here is some info I found on the area.
Miami’s Upper East Side | Miamism
Welcome to Our Website
Miami's Upper East Side Website (http://www.uppereastside-miami.com/page/page/2962182.htm - broken link)

It has a dishwasher, laundry inside the unit, new hardwoods in the living room, black appliances, euro styled lighting, granite countertops. Outside looks like it was built in the 30's or 40's and the outside was well maintained.

Yeah, I know it's Little Haiti and Hooker Heights not too far from there, but it's still a cool house. This is not where we will end up in Miami, just where we will start is our thinking. We need somewhere to forward our mail next week and time has run out.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Just ignore ***MOD CUT*** Patrice. Thanks for following along.

I think we have found a new place. It's in the upper east side around 64th and Biscayne. Actually we saw the place but didn't go in. The downstairs neighbor was outside and we chatted. He had had no problems living there in 2 years. We discounted it because it was so close to Little Haiti.

We decided to revisit the place and saw the inside of it online and are blown away. This place is very very nice and in any other area in Miami it would be 1600 or more.

Beauty was more than skin deep. The guy seemed to be very easy to work with, we get in for less and he has fast approval.He also said in spite of the way that neighborhood looks the survey said most household incomes are between 60-80k a year. He said is was full of yuppie types. I guess it's part of Mimo and he sess no problem with our dog.
I had a friend that lived in that area a while back for a number of years. She was a young single female and back then the area was transitional - but she loved it and her bullding didnt look like much on the outside but the units were amazing! And her balcony had a great view of the bay!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I had a friend that lived in that area a while back for a number of years. She was a young single female and back then the area was transitional - but she loved it and her bullding didnt look like much on the outside but the units were amazing! And her balcony had a great view of the bay!
This is a duplex and yes, inside is awesome. Outside is very cool too. It's one of those stone houses built in the 40's. I would post a photo of the outside but better leave that part out.

In the back it has storage plus an area for my patio furniture and BBQ grill. Parking is not a problem either.

Here are some inside photos the Realtor sent me. We faxed our app in today. I like this guy, he's good at what he does. The guy told me the ceiling fans in this place cost 1000.00 each. It has pergo wood floors in the living room and I thought the inside has very much a Brickell feel to it.
Attached Thumbnails
We're here and WOW-1.jpg   We're here and WOW-2.jpg   We're here and WOW-3.jpg   We're here and WOW-4.jpg   We're here and WOW-5.jpg  

We're here and WOW-6.jpg  

Old 10-30-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm one of those guys that like to cook. A nice kitchen and dishwasher is important to me. I can cook in that kitchen which was another advantage over the one in surfside.

This is a Duplex. Over and Under. The guy that lives downstairs is a white guy mid 30's with a new Mazda sitting outside. He works in downtown too. He said he had been there 2.5 years and no problems. He said a single girl was living in my unit when he arrived. The Realtor told me she had lived there 5 years so it seems ok for us.

We have areas like this in Dallas, where these cool houses are being turned into modern hip places and like upper eastside they are often in the poorer parts of town. We have our diverse neighborhoods as well. It takes a while though to turnover into all hip and cool places and clean up the streets. That's usally driven by the economy so it may take longer than normal. They are trying like in the Design District, but that surrounding area is just not good. We know the drill.

I get what the UES is trying to do. I stayed a few night at MotelBlu at 7700 Biscayne. Arty, botiqueish and an attempt at upscale inside, but a little sketchy outdoors late at night. That was 14 blocks from this place I'm renting and as we know, it could be a world away in terms of demographics. This IS Miami after all.

It's a more practical living situation for us. Close to my sons work, a good kitchen and beautiful rooms indoors. It is also much nicer inside than the one in surfide. We lost the beach house but gained a better house in every other way. The neighborhood though is TBD.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry I don't have the time to go through pages and pages of nonsense, and the way this guy writes he sounds like he is 25 yrs old.

Must be having a mid life crisis.

He has been offered a lot of insight, which he chooses to ignore.

Seriously dude, with your malcontent posting history and flare for absurd hyperbole, I think a little less dispersion cast on others is in order. Remember what they say about people in glass houses.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamedUser View Post
You are very naive in my opinion. And damn, this whole pointless thread has just wasted a few minutes of my life that I'll never get back!
Have you lived in Dallas before? I have and so has the OP. Miami has NOTHING on Dallas driving. That place was the most absurd in terms of driving I have ever seen in my life. Miami drivers are silly but not to the point of all out recklessness like I experienced while in Dallas.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 AM

Everything is in place now and all the talk of moving is over. We are leaving today for Miami and have 3 longs days on the road.

Miami didn't make it easy to come there and leaving Dallas had it's own challenges as well. We fought through it and caught some lucky breaks along the way.

2 dogs have been rehomed. My son's dog now lives on a ranch, one of my dogs was adopted by a Vet. Both will have excellent homes and many happy days for fun and play. We are bringing one dog, my Border Collie.

We leave Dallas with some sadness and move to Miami with some uncertainty. We think Miami will be as good as we make it and except there will be challenges ahead. Our plain is to live under our financial means for a while until we acclimate into the area. I'm sure we will move again but for now, the Upper east side is our home, 33138.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
El Portal?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 AM

196 posts, read 589,979 times
my husband & i did the opposite drive a year ago when we moved from Miami to El Paso. i really enjoyed that drive. in case you don't know, motel 6's are cheap, pet friendly & most have been renovated recently so they're MUCH nicer than they used be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami