Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 AM

163 posts, read 315,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think my posts were explisit so I am not sure what wasn't clear to you. I said it was fine about having impressions, but just as you defend an impression of a newly arrived resident, I have the right to share my view as a long time resident to contrast the views. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Why is my viewpoint not valid since I don't live in the part of Miami you have seen in the movies?

The real part of ANY city is what is is predominantly like, not just how rich enclaves are or private homes and condos that access have direct acces to the water, especially when this group is not representative of the majority of the city.

The real Miami is how the majority of the city's residents live. It is not how the richest 10% live or how the half a mile along the bay is. That is a sliver of the city, the remaining 90% is very different and it would be helpful to share your opinions of what the majority of the city is really like as opposed to just the tourist or wealthy areas.

Sure there are impoverished cities everywhere and cities with problems as well, but not cities of similar size will you find the extent of Miami's issues, and they do not affect the middle class to the length they do in Miami, either.
Even if they did, so what, why deny these issues in Miami or blow them off just because they aren't unique? They are still problems.

I have no idea why you are asking me if we need to make everything level? Where did I say that was the issue? Please re-read my posts in this thread if you are getting that vibe, I think I was very clear and my second post underlined my previous points with examples.
I understand your points, but what is your post trying to achieve? I don't think the OP is ignoring that there are bad aspects, just hasn't come into contact with them yet and depending on where they live and travel may not come into contact with on any sort of regular basis. When i hopefully move to miami do i have to live in a bad area to go through a right of passage to become the "real" part of miami?

They are problems, maybe they are being blown off...maybe not. If its not part of your everyday life then what does it matter? Not trying to be ignorant here, but blasting the OP with miami's problems isn't doing anything if their lifestyle doesn't involve it. They are just as much a part of miami as those with lower social/economic statuses.

edit: I'm trying not to come off with an "ignorance is bliss" attitude. I spent four years learning about doom and gloom world problems to get an enviro science degree.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Chelito 90% of Dade county doesn't live in the same conditions as overtown or liberty city residests. That's a huge generalization

I think some of your points are valid though. Of course someone that just arrived here doesn't know the city yet. Maybe he will be able to afford his Hallandale condo and live happily ever after, maybe he won't or just simply get bored or tired

I think the problem with new residents is that no matter how much they are forewarned, they underestimate some of the subjects that frequently come up in this forum such as:

- Miami has a weak job market and low paid positions
- Cuban and Miami Hispanics have a different culture than other Hispanics
- Miami is very car dependent
- Non Hispanics tend to dislike Latinos and segregate themselves
- Miami has high crime
- the Summers are long and hot
Very true, it is still amazing the wage to living cost ratio, has to be one of the worst in the US, certainly the worst of all the places I lived.

Yes, that is why the term Hispanic is such shallow term that really means nothing other than a person speaks Spanish.

Yes, but no different than many other cities, and at least we still have some sort of mass transit, though it cost more in some places to live close to it, or it exists in some places where a person would not want to live.

Or maybe you can say the opposite? I don't exactly see many "Latinos: rushing to fit into the predominate US culture, or even language. I am not implying anything negative, I just do not see how all blame for segregation rests on non-Hispanics. About any group segregates themselves from others, that is why the US is more like a salad bowl, not a melting pot.

- Miami has high crime
That seems to be the general US culture, drugs.

Yes, but so is the whole south in general, but, at least we have a nice ocean breeze, try living in the TN valley for a few years, one of the most polluted areas of the country.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,333,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Very true, it is still amazing the wage to living cost ratio, has to be one of the worst in the US, certainly the worst of all the places I lived.

Yes, that is why the term Hispanic is such shallow term that really means nothing other than a person speaks Spanish.

Yes, but no different than many other cities, and at least we still have some sort of mass transit, though it cost more in some places to live close to it, or it exists in some places where a person would not want to live.

Or maybe you can say the opposite? I don't exactly see many "Latinos: rushing to fit into the predominate US culture, or even language. I am not implying anything negative, I just do not see how all blame for segregation rests on non-Hispanics. About any group segregates themselves from others, that is why the US is more like a salad bowl, not a melting pot.

- Miami has high crime
That seems to be the general US culture, drugs.

Yes, but so is the whole south in general, but, at least we have a nice ocean breeze, try living in the TN valley for a few years, one of the most polluted areas of the country.
the summer's here are not the same as other southern states. The humidity here is unbelievable.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM

911 posts, read 1,709,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
How do you know they were hookers?
I didn't ask, but it was 5:30 Sunday morning and they were not exaclty dressed for early church.

Another odd thing I have noticed is the lack of Police. I've seen some once in a while but nothing like in Dallas.

Rentals are another thing that is significantly higher here. The standard seems to be first, last month plus one month security deposit. For that amount in Dallas you can almost buy a house. I was told this is because of two things. Florida renters laws are to protect renters and a landlord must hire and attorney if the tenant fails to perform on his lease. The second part is because of all the transients. I was told this by a Realtor FWIW.

By comparison, in Dallas for an apt it usually first month, and a small pet deposit. Houses get first month and last month and that's it.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,873,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Dude you've been here like 48 hours and you figured our job market? Let me quote you "WOW, WOW, WOW"

I was thinking the same thing. Crime isnt a problem, jobs are everywhere, the job market is good if you're "proffessional." For being here for just a short period of time, it's interesting that he knows the areas economics so well already.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Fact is, we have not even been to south beach yet and because we wanted it that way. We wanted to be careful to seperate the reality from fantasy....

we haven't even been to Sobe because that is not the true Miami and probably has less to do with true Miamians than tourists. When we move here, we'll go down there, but we have been careful not to base our decison soley off ....
Well I'm a bit disappointed. I think you've missed a point I've been trying to make to you. You don't have to be a zillionaire to live on Miami Beach, or even SoBe for that matter. There are affordable options on the island and I think just going on the assumption that it's all just out of your league, well I think you're cheating yourself out of some of the really best options that are really well within your manageability.

But not to rant, it's all good. I'm sure you'll love Hallandale, it is fab no doubt. And you can continue to further explore options after you've been there a while when you've had more time.

I hope your doggies also have a home?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I almost didn't come because of posts like Cheilto's. I don;t own a gun but checked the hangun laws in Florida just in case. Fact is I don't need a handgun here.

I approached this trip as a relocation, not a vacation. I wanted to see for myself what Miami was all about. We are in Mimo for our last few days at 78th/Us1, not Sobe. Fact is, we have not even been to south beach yet and because we wanted it that way. We wanted to be careful to seperate the reality from fantasy.

We wanted to know if Miami was livable. We knew it was a great vacation spot but we wanted to look at the culture, the pace, doing business here, the traffic, cost of milk and bread.

We've driven the backroads, we've been to little Haiti, the poor parts of Hialeah, we were in Palmetto and saw what we think was the Police pulling someone out of the woods in a body bag.

We've seen the homeless, people doing drugs on the streets. This morning I went for coffee and there were hookers in the lobby of my hotel. I have no delusions of Miami being all pie in the sky.

Having said that, Miami is not different from any major metro areas. Dallas has more Millionaries per captia than ANY US city. We have areas so dangerous that even the Police don't answer calls down there. The mail is not delivered and people live on dirt floors. We have the homeless, the insane on the streets. If all I did was take a snap shot of that aspect of Dallas, nobody would come there either. Fact is and like Miami the bad that people seem to tout is not represented as the whole.

Big cities have big problems, we get that but to say all of Miami is hell past Lincoln road in Sobe has not been our experince. We think we have looked past the tourist traps. Hell, we haven't even been to Sobe because that is not the true Miami and probably has less to do with true Miamians than tourists. When we move here, we'll go down there, but we have been careful not to base our decison soley off the glitz and glamour.

When we travel, we eat where the locals eat, stay where the locals live. We test the people to see how they react to us and interact with others.
We wanted to look at the intangables, things that numbers and the posters on this board can't quantify for us and we are pleasantly surprised.

We like the options here but we are inner city people to begin with so take my opinions FWIW. Miami is probably not for everyone, but from our perspective the good far outweighs the bad.

We have a few more days here, we're back in the Keys today, then drive back to Miami tonight. The Keys are not for us, we could never live there in an a millon years. We "need" the city with all it's blessings and it's curses to feel connected to the world.
I am glad that you have seen the the area as a whole. My posts never say not to come here. I never use scare tactics either. I only give a dose of reality so people can make an informed decision and not make a move based on the "brand". I am familiar with Dallas, if Oak Cliff or the South Side is what you are referring to as being bad or police not responding to calls, I think that is child's play based on what ocurrs here, but that is beside the point. I wish you luck here!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,114,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
I understand your points, but what is your post trying to achieve? I don't think the OP is ignoring that there are bad aspects, just hasn't come into contact with them yet and depending on where they live and travel may not come into contact with on any sort of regular basis. When i hopefully move to miami do i have to live in a bad area to go through a right of passage to become the "real" part of miami?

They are problems, maybe they are being blown off...maybe not. If its not part of your everyday life then what does it matter? Not trying to be ignorant here, but blasting the OP with miami's problems isn't doing anything if their lifestyle doesn't involve it. They are just as much a part of miami as those with lower social/economic statuses.

edit: I'm trying not to come off with an "ignorance is bliss" attitude. I spent four years learning about doom and gloom world problems to get an enviro science degree.
I totally understand where you are comming from. Maybe I have not been as clear as I thought.

If you have the means (financially) to be able to live in an area like the Grove, the Beach, the Gables, etc...then no, you won't have to deal with bad neighborhoods. My post is for people who are lower to middle class and that relocate here. You can live a perfectly wonderful life here, but that assumes you earn good money, because money will help isolate you from the problems. There really isn't a traditional middle class here anymore, between high costs, the economic situations and other factors. It is hard from someone that is middle class in another city to move to Miami and have the same quality of life on the same salary. But if you are single and earn well, you can live fine here and not have to experience anything that you don't want to.

Regarding friendliness though, I think people tend to be enarmoroud by the pretty faces and the setting and "forgive" a lot of the rudeness and disrespectful behavior because they are initially enamorouded by the exotic and uniqueness of it all, but that wears off as well. People in the USA in general are friendly, that has been my experience. You don't see the same level of customer service or courtesy there hat you see in other cities, so it is good to come here with an understanding of that, so you aren't surprised in a bad way.

I think by telling people what they need to know vs. what they want to know helps them make an informed decision...and it seems like you are doing that, so I wish you luck on your relocation here as well.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM

163 posts, read 315,801 times
Understood, and thanks.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:29 AM

911 posts, read 1,709,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

There really isn't a traditional middle class here anymore.
I agree and that is exactly what I have found. Spend $1500 per month and live, or spend $1000 per month and you could die. Houses are out of the middle class price range and you don't get much for your money in comparison to other places.

Many of the places we have looked at require 1st month, last month plus a full month security deposit plus a 100.00 app fee. Got a Pet? Add 250.00 non refundable, plus 25.00 per month and 250 deposit for Fido. You could be pushing close to 5k just to rent a place.

Move to Miami and live the good life for uber cheap is not anywhere close to the reality here. If you have the income, then Miami could be a wonderful place to live, but like you said, you need a higher income to seperate yourself from the less than desirable areas here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami