Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM

163 posts, read 316,460 times

Advertisements

I know there are many threads along the lines of this but i haven't seen one that similar yet so here it goes. I'm in my low 20's, vegan, environmentally conscious, and trade stocks for a living so i will be fine financially as long as i have an internet connection. I have been to south florida a bunch of times...spent most of my time in the everglades and keys. I'm into the geography and wildlife of the region which is primarily why i want to live there...kayaking, snorkeling, beach, everglades, etc is what interests me. Being relatively close to key west is whats appealing too. But i would prefer to not live in the keys because of the isolation.

Anyways my question really is where would the best place to live and would someone who appreciates the natural aspects of the region stay sane living in or near miami? Not sure living in the "city" would be best for me. I do like the homestead area for location but am reconsidering that as there seems to be a lot of theft and vandalism crime that i don't want to deal with. Perhaps broward would be a better location? I like going out but not the club scene, more into chill bars on the water.

Would like to rent $1500-2000 a month one bedroom, studio if necessary.

Not sure if that made sense, but any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Although it may be more of an "urban" location I'd personally recommend Coconut Grove. Despite having some nightlife it's not hectic (it used to be) and has some low-key waterfront establishments (such as Scotty's Landing or Monty's Raw Bar, though the latter is overpriced). The suburban areas there are also very nice and scenic, and natural landmarks such as Fairchild Tropical Gardens and Matheson Hammock are only a few minutes away.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Maybe try Homestead?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 PM

To clarify i'm not necessarily looking to live in a rural area. Urban or suburban is fine, i like the idea of coconut grove. Thanks for the input

Old 10-22-2010, 03:09 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I think you need to make a trip down here. I would suggest Broward if you have a family or kids, but you are young Miami is a great place for you. If you want to be close to these natural places then look at living south of downtown Miami. I think you need to make a trip down to drive around. If you look at a map you will find Matherson Hammock, Bill Baggs Park on Key Biscayne, Black Point Marina, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, The Deering Estate, Larry & Penny Thompson Park, Everglades Entrance in Florida City, etc. all in the southern park of the county. So you may want to stay in the Southern Half of the county.

Last edited by doggiebus; 10-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Fixed Sentence

Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Well it depends

if you want to live in home with a yard where you can have plants then Suburban SW Miami with make more sense. If you don't mind driving a little then brickell downtown or the beach because you will be around people your age.

Forget broward. Actually in your case since you have a decent budget homestead doesn't sound like a terrible option. You would have to live in the more upscale communities In keysgate and have a good alarm but most burglaries occur in unoccupied homes so if theysee your car, they probably won't bother. That place is like 20-25 minutes from key largo.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
I would go with something from Coconut Grove down through the Old Cutler Rd corridor (eastern Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, some parts of Cutler Bay). Safer than Homestead, and very green with nice parks and good access to natural areas. I actually don't recommended Broward because if you are into the natural scenery, you will be driving to Miami a lot anyway and suburban Broward will seem pretty bland after seeing some of the areas in southeastern Dade.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM

I've been around the homestead/florida city area quite a bit then along US1 to the downtown/key biscayne areas. I have not been east of US1 much though, the old cutler rd corridor looks like something to check out. Good location for heading south to the glades and keys. Looking at it on streetview now...should make a trip down soon, thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami