Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times

Advertisements

Esantana - I just got back from NYC, the friendlest people ever. Miami truely isn't a family oriented city. The schools are not up to par, far below New Englands school system. Plan on putting your kids into private school if you want them to have a great education. If he does unfortunatly takes the job in North Miami, i would live in Broward at least. It is better than Miami-Dade. Western Broward is more family friendly, but a 30 min commute from out west isn't likely. I would truely rethink your choice about moving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esantana View Post
Hi, I am looking for some advice on where to live in the Miami area. My husband is going to be taking a job in North Miami. I have 3yr old and 10month old children and will be staying at home with them. So, I am looking for a city/community that is family friendly. I would love my husband's commute to be 30mins max. Any help and insight on this would be wonderful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Esantana - below New Englands school system.
The New York area is not part of New England...agree about schools, though

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-06-2007 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 47,155 times
Thanks for the info Rich, I appreciate your response. This has been helpful. Looks like we're going so the scoop is extra appreciated. Its a little sad to hear a fair amount of negativity about the general area, but sounds like there is enough good stuff to keep us excited. Will keep you posted.

BTW, where in NJ are you from?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:17 AM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Esantana - I just got back from NYC, the friendlest people ever. Miami truely isn't a family oriented city. The schools are not up to par, far below New Englands school system. Plan on putting your kids into private school if you want them to have a great education. If he does unfortunatly takes the job in North Miami, i would live in Broward at least. It is better than Miami-Dade. Western Broward is more family friendly, but a 30 min commute from out west isn't likely. I would truely rethink your choice about moving here.
NYC , is great I especially love Manhattan . Although not all of the school system is great in the surrounding areas some of the inner city schools are terrible even in middle class areas like Queens and Brooklyn . Most of New Jersey is no better than living in Miami .... just colder , drearier and much more expensive ... you have much of a "third world " element there as well and do not tell me people are friendlier . I live in Boca and the rudest people here are from New Jersey / NYC .

By the way NYC is not part of New New England , neither is NJ . I must agree though that schools in New England ( Mass , RI , NH , VT & Connecticut ) are much better than schools in NYC , NJ & Miami .

Should you not allow someone from NJ to make come down and look around and make their own decision ... I would not recommend Miami either , but Boca Raton , Wellington , Coral Springs , Parkland , Weston , etc , etc are super nice family type areas . I know many people here from NJ and NYC that will never go back home for many reasons .. granted they are not in Miami but in the areas of Broward and Palm Beach that I mentioned . I feel most of your recommendation was right on , except for your geographical error , until your last sentence which is a personal opinion that may not apply to others . Let the poster come down and spend some time and let him/ her decide for themselves . Everyone's reality and experience is different ... they should come down for themselves ... I love the Tampa / Clearwater / St.Pete area and I cringe at some of the opinions expressed on the Tampa forum ... things that I do not relate to at all ... again based on the neighborhood / community you live in , the company you keep and even your income level everyone has different experience .

Last edited by Musclehead; 07-07-2007 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esantana View Post
Thanks for the info Rich, I appreciate your response. This has been helpful. Looks like we're going so the scoop is extra appreciated. Its a little sad to hear a fair amount of negativity about the general area, but sounds like there is enough good stuff to keep us excited. Will keep you posted.
The negativity is mostly associated with Dade county. Broward is pretty good for quality of life, and I think Musclehead hit it dead on about the areas.

What part of NJ are you from btw? I have a lot of family in E. Brunswick.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
NYC , is great I especially love Manhattan . Although not all of the school system is great in the surrounding areas some of the inner city schools are terrible even in middle class areas like Queens and Brooklyn . Most of New Jersey is no better than living in Miami .... just colder , drearier and much more expensive ... you have much of a "third world " element there as well and do not tell me people are friendlier . I live in Boca and the rudest people here are from New Jersey / NYC .

By the way NYC is not part of New New England , neither is NJ . I must agree though that schools in New England ( Mass , RI , NH , VT & Connecticut ) are much better than schools in NYC , NJ & Miami .

Should you not allow someone from NJ to make come down and look around and make their own decision ... I would not recommend Miami either , but Boca Raton , Wellington , Coral Springs , Parkland , Weston , etc , etc are super nice family type areas . I know many people here from NJ and NYC that will never go back home for many reasons .. granted they are not in Miami but in the areas of Broward and Palm Beach that I mentioned . I feel most of your recommendation was right on , except for your geographical error , until your last sentence which is a personal opinion that may not apply to others . Let the poster come down and spend some time and let him/ her decide for themselves . Everyone's reality and experience is different ... they should come down for themselves ... I love the Tampa / Clearwater / St.Pete area and I cringe at some of the opinions expressed on the Tampa forum ... things that I do not relate to at all ... again based on the neighborhood / community you live in , the company you keep and even your income level everyone has different experience .
I agree each person should come down and check it out for themselves, but unfortunatly somethings you just will not experience until you actually live here day in and out. I know two people that moved here about 2-3 years ago and have since left because of the many things that we complain about. One went back home for a visit after a year in Miami and realized how bad Miami actually was compared to were she was from in NC. She soon put her condo up for rent and moved back to NC after realizing what she had given up to live in Miami.

In this posters original statement they said they are moving to North Miami, not Coral Springs, Boca Etc and they wanted a commute of 30 max. So that is why I didn't mention Broward.

So what is NY, NJ area called if not New England? BTW The people in NYC were so nice to me compared to people in Miami. For instance, I was at the end of the long line in the grocery store and someone actually carried my basket for me till I got to the counter. No one whould ever do that here. The people in the hardware store were awesome they would walk with me and show me were things were, instead of just pointing. People actually held the door for one another. I can on and on. The people were overall much more friendly than Miamians.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:27 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
I agree each person should come down and check it out for themselves, but unfortunatly somethings you just will not experience until you actually live here day in and out. I know two people that moved here about 2-3 years ago and have since left because of the many things that we complain about. One went back home for a visit after a year in Miami and realized how bad Miami actually was compared to were she was from in NC. She soon put her condo up for rent and moved back to NC after realizing what she had given up to live in Miami.

In this posters original statement they said they are moving to North Miami, not Coral Springs, Boca Etc and they wanted a commute of 30 max. So that is why I didn't mention Broward.

So what is NY, NJ area called if not New England? BTW The people in NYC were so nice to me compared to people in Miami. For instance, I was at the end of the long line in the grocery store and someone actually carried my basket for me till I got to the counter. No one whould ever do that here. The people in the hardware store were awesome they would walk with me and show me were things were, instead of just pointing. People actually held the door for one another. I can on and on. The people were overall much more friendly than Miamians.
doggiebus .... never confuse a New Englander with a New Yorker / NJ you will have an enemy for life LOL .... come to think of it I guess the area is simply called NY / NJ not sure if it has any "historical " tag like New England ?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 PM

So is Maine or Vermont considered part of New England? Or are they something else?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:43 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times
are you coming from northern NJ, or elsewhere in the state? I personally am a miami native living now in northern nJ, and cannot wait to go back to florida. For my own preferences, lifestyle, and economics, I am moving to north florida this time rather than south - no more kids and better bang for the housing/beach dollar.

The folks who live there now will give you a better idea than what I can about what is good now. Miami shores does have some very nice houses for the money, and you will find some good art deco/50s houses there. You have had to be careful about surrounding areas for many years. I think the advice you are getting about broward in your price range may make better sense.

Just don't be swayed by all the negativity on the board. The best thing to do is to go there yourself (in summer!!!) and get a feel for the area. Give yourself time to look at houses and investigate what in a community is important to you.

Do you have anyone living in the area at present? It helps to have family, friends, neighbors you know going down if that is possible.

When my parents moved to miami in the 40s I think they became friendly with everyone who had ever gone there from Pennsylvania! Somehow, that relocation becomes a common bond for people!

You are making a good move, and asking the right questions.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:44 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
I too like Miami Shores, but you would compromise in regards to local school when your kids are of age. I live in Cooper City and it has so many nice parks and great schools, your husband would have to commute, but I think it would be worth it. Young at Art childrens museum is nearby. The area is family oriented. There are lovely tot classes run by "Miss Grace" & are FABULOUS. I think you would really enjoy our small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami