Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I live in the area of the Rogue Valley ~~ near Medford, Grants Pass, Ashland and several smaller towns The area is abundant with natural beauty ~ mountains, zillions of trees, the Rogue River, fishing, rafting, skiing and outdoor sports are the attractions People are very, very friendly - jobs are scarce and the economy is at a standstill.

YES, yes, yes, there is a good life outside the "dumb" Banana Republic called Miami
Fishing, skiing and natural beauty HELL YEAH!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM

26 posts, read 55,080 times
The PNW IS ALL THAT!!!!!!!!!!! Seattle & Portland

Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,308 times
I spent nearly a month in the PNW this past summer. Most of my stay with the exception of 3 days I stayed in the Seattle area. I stayed 3 days in and around Portland. This region of the USA is absolutely beautiful! Multnomah falls is amazing and when I return, I plan to stay in and around that area longer. I Drove up the Washington Coast. Beautiful scenery, but not to swim, just to look, feel the nice temps, and enjoy. Natural resources and summer climate is amazing. I have never been there in the winter or spring, so I cannot comment of that area during that part of the year.

One thing is for sure. I plan on returning to the PNW next summer and stay in Seattle again, and visit and spend much more time than I did this past summer in Oregon. I would have to visit the area in the winter and spring to actually consider living in the area. I am not sure if I can handle constant rain ( or drizzle), and lack of sunshine to along with the constant 40-50 degrees temps or so for more than half the year.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM

Miami was never on the map for my family, most of them were already living in Oregon. Should they stayed in Oregon I would have lived there by now; too bad Miami show itself to them.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I loved the scenery in the PNW when I lived there, there is everything to do outdoors except swimming pretty much, but I hated the weather and people.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,798,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Don't go anywhere in Miami, and change the amount of money you give a cashier, after they put that amount in the register, unless you want to be delibrately mean (although, the obvious confusion is funny)...case in point, I was going to buy a cup of coffee for $1.59. I gave the cashier $2.00, but then, found nine pennies I wanted to get rid of...so I gave her those pennies. So, the "change" should be .50. Or two quarters. She litereally could not figure this out. I even told her what the change should be...she was still confused.
This is so true! I cannot tell you how many times this has happened. It got to the point that if I didnt give the change at the inception of the transaction - forget it!

Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,473,803 times
I think the article is cute and funny - and definitely has a grain or two of truth to it. Having lived all over the US, I actually would rank the cities I've lived in (or know enough about) in pretty much exactly the order I saw on the list. There's no question that the Harvard and MIT crowd got a bit more credentials in the academic sector than the South Beach partiers. But as I've said before, Miami is a world class resort - not a world class research laboratory. If anybody is searching for a brain surgeon on the beach, well they obviously are looking in the wrong place.

The fun part of the article is how the author keeps glossing over the low "smart" rating and going right back to how good looking everybody is. Now that's Miami. Nobody's perfect, Miami just looks that way!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Dumbing It Down: Miami Among the Most Stupidest Cities | NBC Miami

Is this really a surprise to anyone? Quite frankly, i thought Miami would be city #55.
Miami certainly has its attractions and is a great place to party and "do the night on the town " thing .... but a bastion of intellectual thought it is not !!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:17 PM

139 posts, read 383,717 times
i like the idiot in the comments part at the bottom of the page who blames "south american and cuban trash" for the demise of intelligence.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM

I blame everyone for the demise of intelligence - even myself. Extraterrestrials are the only intelligent beings out there, no competition whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami