Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hispano New Yorker’s view on Miami Dade, too many rude Spanish immigrants who don’t speak English, hurricane dangers, Miami cost of living as high as New York

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 30,352 times

Advertisements

Nutshell

You are right about Miami. I was born and raised here and my husband and I are looking in different areas to move. My parents are Cuban and my husband as well. My husband arrived from Cuba when he was 8 and my parents were 13 and 16 when they got here. The Cubans that arrived many many years ago are very diffenent than the ones that arrived 10-15 years ago. They are rude and very uneducated people. My family does speak perfect English. There are many other cultures here that are lazy and also rude and uneducated but I am only speaking about Cubans since we are Cubans. I completely agree that the kind and educated people are moving from here. I have three children 1, 7,9 year olds and I do not want to raise them here. Although I am a true believer that your education comes from home. The problem is that we teach our children well at home and when they are elsewhere they do not receive the same respect and I am sick of it. My daughter will be raised just the same. Hopefully we'll be living elsewhere by the time she starts school.

Yes the traffic is a nighmere. I used to work at an investment firm several years ago in Brickell and my drive was about an hour and half each way. WHAT A NIGHMARE ! I am home now with the kids but my husband does get a lot of traffic.

I do agree we need more smart, talented and educated individuals but the good ones are leaving. What going to happen here? It keeps getting worse every day. The other day I went to JC Penneys and when I went to pay the prices scanned were wrong. Very nicely I asked the girl if she could verify the price to the items and she yelled at me in a very rude matter and it really upset me. I am not the type to stay quiet though I told here that she should not speak to any customer the way she did and that I was going to tell her manger about her. I did. I went to the mananger and complained about what bad customer service his employee had and he said he would take care of it. Honestly, I think I wasted my time. I really felt that he did nothing to take care of it.

To sum this up yes Miami has many issues but it also depend what area you live in. I live in a very nice area. I live near a PUblix, Walgreens, CVS and some other stores and the people are very nice. Maybe not as nice as other states but pretty good. Now if you drive a little further maybe about 10-15 miles from my home forget that people are obnoxious. Some areas in kendall are ok.

Enough with the negatives because I can write all day long. My husband and I are planning to move. I am not sure what area. My freind just move to Franklin, TN and she loves it. But I am concerned if we may be discriminated since we have a hispanic background. The other areas I was considering was N. Carolina but I don't even know a good area there. I have research TN for many months but I am beginning to research N. Carolina. I plan to move withing two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Our company has dealt with both employees moving and the loss of talent among others. Seems like south Florida living saps the innovation and talent out of people even if they stay. When you live in a tiny home, sit in traffic daily, see a huge gap between rich and poor, have significant cultural and language barriers, and a local government so corrupt and incompetant that they never balance their budget regarless of taxation, it's enough to drive anyone nuts. The heat, hurricanes and bugs are not even a factor here.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 114,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Our company has dealt with both employees moving and the loss of talent among others. Seems like south Florida living saps the innovation and talent out of people even if they stay. When you live in a tiny home, sit in traffic daily, see a huge gap between rich and poor, have significant cultural and language barriers, and a local government so corrupt and incompetant that they never balance their budget regarless of taxation, it's enough to drive anyone nuts. The heat, hurricanes and bugs are not even a factor here.
The climate is one thing that people shouldn't complain about -- I mean, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that it's going to be hot here, it's going to be humid and South Florida is prone to tropical storms and the odd hurricane here and there. Although I'm not a fan of the heat, one thing I refuse to do is to complain about the weather in any way.

I agree with you though - this place has the potential to zap the life out of you and it seems that talented individuals are being driven away. Sooner or later, companies will shut up shop and relocate somewhere else due to ever increasing costs and an unskilled labor market. The only thing that helps Miami is the fact that it's a gateway to Latin America. I wouldn't like to depend on Latin American economies too much though, because they are still volatile economies.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM

44 posts, read 114,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLynn View Post
Nutshell

You are right about Miami. I was born and raised here and my husband and I are looking in different areas to move. My parents are Cuban and my husband as well. My husband arrived from Cuba when he was 8 and my parents were 13 and 16 when they got here. The Cubans that arrived many many years ago are very diffenent than the ones that arrived 10-15 years ago. They are rude and very uneducated people. My family does speak perfect English. There are many other cultures here that are lazy and also rude and uneducated but I am only speaking about Cubans since we are Cubans. I completely agree that the kind and educated people are moving from here. I have three children 1, 7,9 year olds and I do not want to raise them here. Although I am a true believer that your education comes from home. The problem is that we teach our children well at home and when they are elsewhere they do not receive the same respect and I am sick of it. My daughter will be raised just the same. Hopefully we'll be living elsewhere by the time she starts school.

Yes the traffic is a nighmere. I used to work at an investment firm several years ago in Brickell and my drive was about an hour and half each way. WHAT A NIGHMARE ! I am home now with the kids but my husband does get a lot of traffic.

I do agree we need more smart, talented and educated individuals but the good ones are leaving. What going to happen here? It keeps getting worse every day. The other day I went to JC Penneys and when I went to pay the prices scanned were wrong. Very nicely I asked the girl if she could verify the price to the items and she yelled at me in a very rude matter and it really upset me. I am not the type to stay quiet though I told here that she should not speak to any customer the way she did and that I was going to tell her manger about her. I did. I went to the mananger and complained about what bad customer service his employee had and he said he would take care of it. Honestly, I think I wasted my time. I really felt that he did nothing to take care of it.

To sum this up yes Miami has many issues but it also depend what area you live in. I live in a very nice area. I live near a PUblix, Walgreens, CVS and some other stores and the people are very nice. Maybe not as nice as other states but pretty good. Now if you drive a little further maybe about 10-15 miles from my home forget that people are obnoxious. Some areas in kendall are ok.

Enough with the negatives because I can write all day long. My husband and I are planning to move. I am not sure what area. My freind just move to Franklin, TN and she loves it. But I am concerned if we may be discriminated since we have a hispanic background. The other areas I was considering was N. Carolina but I don't even know a good area there. I have research TN for many months but I am beginning to research N. Carolina. I plan to move withing two years.

Great post MaryLynn (not just because you agree with me!). I would never want to raise children here, nor would I want any child of mine exposed to the "Miami" way of life.

I hope that you manage to find somewhere better to live for you and your family. It's a shame that you feel that you have to leave, because Miami really needs good people like you.

Sorry to hear about your experience at JC Penny. I'm glad that you complained though, even if you thought that it was a waste of time. Too many people don't complain and just accept terrible service, but I'm not one of those people. I find that living in Miami involves frequently having to fight tooth and nail to get something done. I have never had so many horrible experiences with poor customer service as I have here.

The traffic is bad, but it's not due to lack of roads. I put it down to a combination of poor design, poor planning, horrible drivers and the lack of a mass transit alternative. I dread driving every day, but I would also hate to be a pedestrian here, given the high number of hit and run incidents.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 25,981 times
Default Corporate Greed

Unfortunately, as a rule, corporate America has decided
to cut compensation. This of course dilutes the talent
pool. This "dumbing down" is happening everywhere.

However, there are qualified people in "The Ghetto"
But, they won't work for crumbs, either.

It's sad really.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 AM

58 posts, read 228,783 times
Seriously, I don't think the guy from New York has room to talk, coming from the most expensive city on the East Coast. I don't need to see what I could afford to rent in NYC for $1,100 --probably a urinal and a cardboard box. Instead, I live next door to a senator's brother, have plenty of parking, and shop at a brand new Publix five minutes away by foot, in addition to having the space my apartment offers.

Shall we discuss cost of living? The last time I had drinks in New York, I had a really bad cold (let's not forget the germs that roam a city of 16 million). My three glasses of orange juice cost me $25. Furthermore, by the time I left town, I was so sick of paying everyone a damn tip that I would literally escape every place I frequented. It seems that New Yorkers who work in the service industry are all after a tip of some sort, even if it's for opening someone's cab door (I can do it myself!). Just look at their faces if you don't whip out that dollar bill.

By the way, did I mention standing in line for practically anything? Restaurants, ATMs, restrooms, cabs, elevators, coffee shops: the time I spend in traffic in Miami I spent waiting in line in NYC.

Finally, let me refresh your memory about the go-go-go herd mentality that pervades New York. I don't mind go-getters; in fact, I am one myself. However, when you start living your life in burn-out mode, pretty soon you start to feel it. And unless you are a banker who graduated from a top school, making upwards of $200,000, it makes no sense to want to endure such a ridiculous pace.

Adding to the cost of living issue: After taxes, my wife and I would make pretty much the same six-figure income, both here and in New York. Here, we could afford to buy something in the $300,000s. In New York, we couldn't buy a hole in the wall for that money. Those kinds of prices are now for places in areas like Brooklyn, not Brickell.

So please, tell me that New York is a place of art, culture, great energy, diversity, and talent, and I will believe you. But don't give me the "you need money to live here" excuse for Miami, only to praise New York, a money-eating machine of a town.

P.S. There are still many bright professionals in SOFLA. I just graduated with an MBA along with more than 120 other people, most of whom now work in Doral, downtown, and Aventura. I will be glad to introduce you to them. They work for banks and investment firms, Big 4 firms, Diageo, Bacardi, BK, Carnival, Lennar, Whirlpool, Ryder, Cartier, Motorola, and others.

Last edited by Valwpcc9w6; 07-20-2007 at 01:23 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 07:59 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
The thing is that usually with in a few years 2 or 3 those new graduates move on, to NY Chicago or LA for more money and benifits. I have always been told by my employers the successful/talented ones don't stay long in Miami.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:13 AM

45 posts, read 152,119 times
Awesome post Valwpcc9w6! Your description of NYC is totally on-target, especially vis-a-vis the tipping (though I do love NYC and would move there in a heartbeat if I had the $$$).

I just moved here from Chicago not too long ago, and was honestly somewhat reluctant after reading all the negativity on this forum. Like many people here, I was 'forced' to come to Miami when my wife was offered a 'dream job' with more potential and $$$ than my employment in Chicago had to offer. To be honest, I see mostly the same problems here as I did in Chicago (crime, traffic, homeless, over-inflated housing prices, corruption, big city rudeness, etc.). On the whole, however, I am pleased to say that I like Miami. Not a perfect city by any means, but a city with lots of treasure and promise.

I just got my MBA about four years ago from the University of Washington, and am looking forward to meeting other MBA grads in the area. Glad to know they are not 'flocking' to other cities as some posters here would have you believe.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Valwpcc9w6,

You may have an MBA, but you did not read the original post carefully: the comparison is not between New York City and the City of Miami, and the main point is not the difference in the cost of living.

In any case, each one has his own view and his own measure. The purpose of the post was to relate one person's view and measure, and the main point is his perceived rudeness of his fellow "Hispanics", mostly in the community known as Kendall which is more comparable to Queens and is a far cry socially and economically from NYC or communities in the City of Miami and Miami-Dade such as Brickell and Coral Gables, where many of the Fortune 500 types and international companies marketing in Latin America have their regional or US headquarters, and Aventura.

Anyway, good luck in your career and let's hope you manage some of these companies more carefully than you read and interpret some of these posts.

Last edited by bale002; 07-20-2007 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM

58 posts, read 228,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The thing is that usually with in a few years 2 or 3 those new graduates move on, to NY Chicago or LA for more money and benifits. I have always been told by my employers the successful/talented ones don't stay long in Miami.
Well, since they are my graduates, I can tell you that they aren't going aywhere and they don't intend to. In fact, a couple of my best friends work for an investment bank that deals with South America. One of them left New York hoping to never see it again. She used to be an associate banker, worked at Credit Suisse and the World Bank, and just had a son. She makes close to $250,000. Her husband works at Lehman and makes the same amount. I call that successful.

Another friend of mine works at Morgan Stanley, and he is a New Yorker. I, for one, am not leaving this place, and I don't discount my talent or pedigree(B.A. and M.A. from top school, MBA, CPA). I am at the largest financial services firm in the world, and my salary would be the same anywhere in the country.

I just listed where most of my friends work. Many of these companies have their headquarters here, and they are traded and doing quite well. Moreover, a lot of business with Latin America originates right in this town. My wife meets with people from all over South America (and the islands) every week, and she is considered top talent within her F500 corporation.

I will not even get into the pre-med students, the JD/MBAs, and the hedge fund employees who went to class with me.

I seriously beg to differ with your boss on this matter. I can send him 50 people I know who are damn good, talented, and staying in Miami. Do Chicago, New York, and LA (I have a problem with this one) have a greater pool of people? Obviously, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the country is flocking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami