Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 9,254 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of the Metrorail and Metrobus systems? I've been reading the posts on how bad the traffic is down in Miami and I will be moving there in a few months. Is it worth looking for a place within walking distance to a Metrorail station for the daily commute to work? Safety? Reliability? General grievances or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:41 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,644,447 times
Let's put it this way, Metrorail is only 20% useful. The part that gets the most riders is that which goes from Dadeland to downtown. The remaining line goes through a "no man's land" of crime and decay. Years ago I gave it a try. Let's say you live in Kendall, it will take longer to drive to the Metrorail station that the ride downtown. Unlike the past they charge plenty to park in the Metroral garage, while the surrounding area has always been free. Parking used to be free on weekends, but greedy Miami-Dade county made sure that ended. As for safety, it seems to be OK, you have some unsavory characters riding Metro-Dade transit, but most are just mentally ill and not a serious threat.

If you have to transfer from bus/rail you will spend longer in traffic than driving. Estimate 2 minutes of bus time for 1 minute of drive time. Buses run on Miami time so if they come late, it's normal. Early? That's very rare. If you live in an affluent bus route expect a fast ride, in a poor area- they stop every time there is a bus stop. So add the wait time to bus time.

If you will live in Miami, live close to your job. Unless you will be earning over 100,000 a year, better to stay where you are.

Don't even THINK about Tri-Rail..LOL!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,181,407 times
Tallrick's response is perfect.

I would only add that if you are coming to Miami and, assuming you have no savings goals and/or, as he mentioned, you are making somewhere around $100k, then it is definitely worthwhile to spend extra on rent to live within walking distance of the Metrorail (do not buy in Miami, under current conditions, it is an unroyal rip-off).

Going from downtown southwards, this means Brickell, Roads (Vizcaya), Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, and Dadeland.

I am sure by now that you have consulted the Metrorail map, so you know exactly where these stations are.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,620,125 times
Where will you be working? The metro rail, for the most part, doesn't go anywhere other than downtown and takes you down to the South Miami area along useless 1 (US-1). You generally won't be able to get to places like grocery stores, beach, etc. without transferring to a bus. If you are going to be working downtown, then yes, try to find someplace in the South Miami area, for example, that you can walk to the rail and take that to work, a friend of mine did this for a while. However, there are going to be some vagrants and such riding the rail pretty much all the time, so keep your guard up, and I wouldn't ride alone at night.

The bus system is generally going to take you forever to get anywhere, especially during the rush-four-hours (ie. evening rush "hour" starts at 2:30pm and goes until about 7pm). Yes, the traffic is bad, but a bus in traffic is worse, due to all the stops. There was a bus I would sometimes get stuck behind on the way to work that stopped about every 1/10 mile on a certain road. How many stops do they really need in the span of a half mile?

Anyway, you will definitely still need a car to live in Miami.

Best of luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Let's put it this way, Metrorail is only 20% useful. The part that gets the most riders is that which goes from Dadeland to downtown. The remaining line goes through a "no man's land" of crime and decay. Years ago I gave it a try. Let's say you live in Kendall, it will take longer to drive to the Metrorail station that the ride downtown. Unlike the past they charge plenty to park in the Metroral garage, while the surrounding area has always been free. Parking used to be free on weekends, but greedy Miami-Dade county made sure that ended. As for safety, it seems to be OK, you have some unsavory characters riding Metro-Dade transit, but most are just mentally ill and not a serious threat.

If you have to transfer from bus/rail you will spend longer in traffic than driving. Estimate 2 minutes of bus time for 1 minute of drive time. Buses run on Miami time so if they come late, it's normal. Early? That's very rare. If you live in an affluent bus route expect a fast ride, in a poor area- they stop every time there is a bus stop. So add the wait time to bus time.

If you will live in Miami, live close to your job. Unless you will be earning over 100,000 a year, better to stay where you are.

Don't even THINK about Tri-Rail..LOL!
Absolutely true.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,254 times
Thanks for all of your help! It'll definately be taken into consideration when I find a place.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 PM

448 posts, read 1,849,694 times
I rode Metro-Rail for about a year from its northern stations to downtown. It would take around 1hr and 15 minutes for a 15 miles ride. I would need to drive around 17 minutes to the station. The people that take MR in its northern half are not very nice.....I always kept an eye open and my biggest fear was to get a gun shot through the back of my head. After endless delays, missing connections and waiting another 10 minutes for the next ride, sweaty walks to the station and scary people, I decided to give up the MR idea. Now I drive again and it takes me only 40 minutes to get to work.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM

98 posts, read 306,020 times
NYC it aint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: