Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,424,698 times

Advertisements

Everybody likes a change of pace. When I first arrive in MIA we had a week where in the AM temps were in the 30's with a nippy wind chill factor. My boss was standing outside reaching his hands up into the air letting the wind blow blow through him. I had just arrived from 2 feet of blowing snow in BOS and was in no mood for wind chill factors in the 20's. I said "you're crazy!" He said " it only gets like this once a year down here - I love it!"

In the north, people suffer endless months of cold to bitter cold and all too short beach weather. So back then, I lived to escape the cold.

Now here in Dallas, my burden is heat over 100 degrees for 30+ days per year, over 90 for 100+ days per year and most of those are over 95. (96 is the average high in D for TWO months!) Now, I delight if every cool winter day I get and a tropical vacation to Miami no longer seems so appealing.

I'll bet you guys didn't know this but the average high in Mexico City is in the 70's every month of the year, average low generally 50's. IOW, even though they live at 19 degrees North latitude, they walk around in leather jackets as often as MIA walks around in swimsuits. That's due to the altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,768,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
I know we live in the sunshine state and all but - shisch! Cold all week last week, cold all week this week. And guess what the Weather Channel has in store for us folk living in this tropical paradise for next week-yup cold again! Its 73 in my apartment and in the summer my a/c can't get my apt this temp. I remember 10 years ago the winters were 75-80 degrees all winter long Bring back the humidity I say!!!

Where can I get a good electric heater? Or electric blanket? Or should I go back to wearing my coat around the house like we used to up north because of the price of heating oil?
Not kidding....its global warming If its too hot OR to COLD, no matter, its global warming.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
I know we live in the sunshine state and all but - shisch! Cold all week last week, cold all week this week. And guess what the Weather Channel has in store for us folk living in this tropical paradise for next week-yup cold again! Its 73 in my apartment and in the summer my a/c can't get my apt this temp. I remember 10 years ago the winters were 75-80 degrees all winter long Bring back the humidity I say!!!

Where can I get a good electric heater? Or electric blanket? Or should I go back to wearing my coat around the house like we used to up north because of the price of heating oil?

Butch up man ... the few weeks of "cold" weather we get down here are awesome ... by your dramatic post you would think it was 27 degrees and not 57 !!!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I agree! I wish this type of temperatures were common here in Miami this time of year every year.
AGREE !!!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,032,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I'll bet you guys didn't know this but the average high in Mexico City is in the 70's every month of the year, average low generally 50's. IOW, even though they live at 19 degrees North latitude, they walk around in leather jackets as often as MIA walks around in swimsuits. That's due to the altitude.
I know altitude affects climate growing up in the Andes what I didn't know is that in Miami people walk around in swimsuits

Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,878,508 times
I'll take a daily low of 40-50 with highs in the 60-70 range for 8 months of the year.Someone said natives don't like it cold,buy I'm a native and very much dislike the 7 months of nasty heat.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I know altitude affects climate growing up in the Andes what I didn't know is that in Miami people walk around in swimsuits
Oh well, sorry Princess, let me clarify. People in Miami Beach walk around in swimsuits. You're right, I honestly barely bothered with the mainland rarely venturing west of Washington.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,032,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Oh well, sorry Princess, let me clarify. People in Miami Beach walk around in swimsuits. You're right, I honestly barely bothered with the mainland rarely venturing west of Washington.
people at any beach in this planet walk around in swimsuits, specially tourists who are just walking from their hotel room. that is just not a Miami thing. Now most places in Miami Beach have fully dressed people unless they are right across the beach. Of course if your name is snookie or you are a clueless tourist or trashy transplant you gonna walk around In swimswear everywhere in Miami. I guaratee you wont be allowed in many places without a shirt. You can't make generalizations about a whole city with millions of people based on a street or two packed with tourists

Old 12-12-2010, 03:41 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,523 times
Quote:
people at any beach in this planet walk around in swimsuits, specially tourists who are just walking from their hotel room. that is just not a Miami thing. Now most places in Miami Beach have fully dressed people unless they are right across the beach. Of course if your name is snookie or you are a clueless tourist or trashy transplant you gonna walk around In swimswear everywhere in Miami. I guaratee you wont be allowed in many places without a shirt. You can't make generalizations about a whole city with millions of people based on a street or two packed with tourists
This

Old 12-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Don't be so easily offended. Whether you like it or not, the 5 billion other people not in Miami think "beach" when we think Miami. It's the main event, headline act, and cover story of Miami. Julia Tuttle planned it that way long ago. God planned it that way even longer ago. Not all tourists are clueless and not all transplants are trash. Don't make generalizations about the whole world based on the opinion of a mere few million people.

BTW, aren't you actually a transplant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami