Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM

139 posts, read 277,587 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread. When I was looking at real estate, I came across a 3 BDR house in a nice part of Miami that had 4 families living in it, essentially one family to a bedroom and then another in a converted shed out back. It was shocking to me that this type of rental practice was going on in a decent neighborhood and highlighted some of the hardships recent immigrants to this country have to go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Don't be shocked. There is almost no economic opportunity to meet the overpriced real estate prices for the average workers. I have seen people who have a live-in maid ( slave) who lives in a shed or garage. Incredibly stupid immigrants come to Florida without legal standing, and work as servants and live illegally. When I lived in Key Largo I had a neighbor who was trying to drive me out through code enforcement, complaining about my "overgrown" lot. Instead code enforcement sent someone who is a family friend and hit them hard for cutting trees without a permit. In the course of their investigation they discovered a live in slave living in a boat house and discharging sewage into the Atlantic. At least after I moved to south central Florida, I no longer see efficiencies but we still have immigrants living in trailers, for free on farms. Not sure which is worse, but if I had my way immigration would end, and illegals caught within a few years would be sent back. Those who avoided capture would be enrolled in a citizenship program and could stay if they complete it successfully. If the school system reported illegal students this could be cleaned up, very quickly.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,556 times
I WAS A CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER FOR 27 YEARS FOR MIAMI DADE COUNTY, WE STUDIED THE COUNTY AND CITY LAWS AND WE USUALLY INSPECTED VIOLATIONS THAT WERE REPORTED BY NEIGHBORS, COMMISSIONERS OFFICES, POLICE AND BY NEIGHBORHOOD PATROL.
EFFICIENCIES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ILLEGAL, NEIGHBORHOODS, SCHOOLS AND CITY SERVICES DEPEND ON THE NUMBER OF RESIDENTS IN A PARTICULAR AREA, SO MANY CARS, SO MANY STUDENTS, SO MANY GARBAGE CANS, ETC.
EFFICIENCIES CREATE AN OVER OVERLOAD OF PEOPLE AND SERVICES, AND THE QUALITY OF OUR RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS DECAYED AND TURN THE AREAS INTO FILTHY RIGHTS OF WAY, ILLEGALLY PARKING OF VEHICLES, OVERAGE OF STUDENTS IN THE SCHOOLS, PERFORMING ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES LIKE SELLING CARS, DOING CAR REPAIRING, ILLEGALS POSTING OF SIGNS IN RIGHTS OF WAY OR SWALES, AND WEEKLY GARAGE SALES WHICH ARE ALSO ILLEGAL.

ALL THESE DESTROY THE RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS, LOWER THE PRICES OF THE HOMES AND LOWERS OUR QUALITY OF LIFE.
ALL THESE ARE HAPPENING IN MIAMI, CITY OF MIAMI COMES NUMBER ONE IN VIOLATIONS, AND MIAMI DADE COUNTY IS FOLLOWING RIGHT BEHIND.
WE ASK OR IF NOT BEG OUR OFFICIALS TO BECOME STRICTER IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS LAWS, EDUCATE THE CITIZENS AND THE NEW ILLEGALS TO TRAIN THEM ON HOW TO LIVE WITH OUR RULES AND COSTUMES. MIAMI IS NOT A CLEAN AND ORDERLY CITY ANYMORE, WE NEED YOUR HELP!
cgq48@aol.com

Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerra69 View Post
I WAS A CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER FOR 27 YEARS FOR MIAMI DADE COUNTY, WE STUDIED THE COUNTY AND CITY LAWS AND WE USUALLY INSPECTED VIOLATIONS THAT WERE REPORTED BY NEIGHBORS, COMMISSIONERS OFFICES, POLICE AND BY NEIGHBORHOOD PATROL.
EFFICIENCIES HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ILLEGAL, NEIGHBORHOODS, SCHOOLS AND CITY SERVICES DEPEND ON THE NUMBER OF RESIDENTS IN A PARTICULAR AREA, SO MANY CARS, SO MANY STUDENTS, SO MANY GARBAGE CANS, ETC.
EFFICIENCIES CREATE AN OVER OVERLOAD OF PEOPLE AND SERVICES, AND THE QUALITY OF OUR RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS DECAYED AND TURN THE AREAS INTO FILTHY RIGHTS OF WAY, ILLEGALLY PARKING OF VEHICLES, OVERAGE OF STUDENTS IN THE SCHOOLS, PERFORMING ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES LIKE SELLING CARS, DOING CAR REPAIRING, ILLEGALS POSTING OF SIGNS IN RIGHTS OF WAY OR SWALES, AND WEEKLY GARAGE SALES WHICH ARE ALSO ILLEGAL.

ALL THESE DESTROY THE RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOODS, LOWER THE PRICES OF THE HOMES AND LOWERS OUR QUALITY OF LIFE.
ALL THESE ARE HAPPENING IN MIAMI, CITY OF MIAMI COMES NUMBER ONE IN VIOLATIONS, AND MIAMI DADE COUNTY IS FOLLOWING RIGHT BEHIND.
WE ASK OR IF NOT BEG OUR OFFICIALS TO BECOME STRICTER IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS LAWS, EDUCATE THE CITIZENS AND THE NEW ILLEGALS TO TRAIN THEM ON HOW TO LIVE WITH OUR RULES AND COSTUMES. MIAMI IS NOT A CLEAN AND ORDERLY CITY ANYMORE, WE NEED YOUR HELP!
cgq48@aol.com
Yeah I agree with you, the wages in Miami FORCE this, and I mean professional wages, yes leave of course but do you leave family? Well guess what we are in retirement and we are both professionals and will NOT retire in Miami although we hoped to when we bought our house two years in ago.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerra69 View Post

cgq48@aol.com
This is one reason I left Miami, I was getting ready to use code enforcement crooks as target practice and had to leave or start an international incident. The system and its kangaroo court harasses antique car enthusiasts and allows efficiencies to proliferate. They harass one home for having a number faded on the address and drive right by the home with four families inside. Wasting time investigating yard sales while streets have foot deep potholes and drainage pits clogged and overflowing when it rains. Instead of being a snitch throw out code enforcement whenever you see them trespassing on your property, or that of your friends in the neighborhood. If not you will be paying 500-50,000 in extortion money to the county mafia.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
An old posting but many may need to read. Miami Dade property taxes are so high that unless for illegal housing they would be bankrupt by now. So is it legal? Any efficiency that exists in Miami are illegal no matter the age of the building, there is no such thing as a grandfathered efficiency. If legal, a small apartment would show on the tax page and descriptions, including plans (although plans on line are not updated often).
If the extra unit is built or added in a Single Family Coded Zone, even with permits, it is illegal. If memory does not fail me, Miami summoned multiple properties that had been done legally with permits back in 2007 when the market was hot as is now! so be careful. Read the law and abide by them, even if your contractor tells you is okay to do it, if it is not in the books you run the risk of a summons.
The only exceptions are In-laws quarters that are protected by law. Once your in-law or parents move or die you will need to notify the tax office. You will then need to pay an additional tax. (who knows how much)
If you need to rent out part of your house to afford your payments you do have rights as an owner. You have rights to rent out any or part of your house as you will. You do not need to keep the parking space ordinances or any laws that would not apply to a one single family.
Even when in a private HOA there are laws that cannot apply, even if written into the association's by-rules. An association will intimidate you but with a small trip to the courthouse you can have them in hot water "Your home is your castle" rule are strong.
If renting part of your house, remember not to build any illegal bathrooms, or kitchens and you will be okay. Doors need to communicate with the rest of the house although no one can keep you from building a nice double door to keep your privacy. Suggestion. Use an existing side or rear door for private entrance. There are no rules against that.

With all that said here is my take. A illegal apartment or an efficiency lowers the quality of living for all. You will have to worry about tenant problems in your own house, your schools get overcrowded, our streets get extra traffic, crime increases and you always have to worry about running into some legal problem if any of your neighbors report it. I rather move to a house I can afford and lie down and sleep in peace! if it's gotten so bad that you are looking for options I may have a good one for you, let me help you sell it and buy a legal multi family.

Last edited by Omshomes; 07-31-2017 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Spelling and flow of text

Old 12-12-2020, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,885 times
they are 100% illegal... that's why they want you to pay them in CASHHHHHHHHHHH. So the can be no trace to where the money comes from. They are not reporting their earnings to the IRS.. that's a major felony. that's years of jail. They're stealing millions of dollars to the US economy. They do it as a way to generate income, because they're not employed or they have jobs that aren't very stable, but regardless of what really is, is 100% illegal. I live in Miami Dade, and if you look on craicslist.com the place is full of people running illegal efficiencies. I wonder how many of them want you to sign a contract. What contract if you can't use it in a court of a law? These are people who have problems finding employment, and paying their mortgage and they end up running this illigal efficiencies. (short term rental) are you going to tell me that county police do not know about it. But it has become so bad because how many people live here, can't find jobs, and many can't find an apartment with what they're making (gig economy) that they allow for that to go on. They solve the living condition of some folks and they allow others to make money off of it. But it is 100% illegal. And I don't want to bring misfortune to anyone. but if you're living in one of this places and they're attacking you with noise, despite the fact you pay with cash every month like you're buying something illegal, and on top of that they're molesting you, harassing you, knocking on your walls, coming to see you in repeated occasions threatening you.... this is just baddddddd. county government knows this people are running this illegal's multi families operations. They see this problems go on and they let happen. millions of dollars stolen from US economy. Then they make you feel that you're not welcome.. are you kidding me??? I forgot to mention I live in Kendall, FL.. no really interested in maintaining my anonymity when they're trying to make you look like a criminal and they're the ones running the crime!!!!.. I whish the IRS or some news outlet contact me!!!!

Old 12-29-2020, 10:45 PM

18 posts, read 12,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaguy25 View Post
they are 100% illegal... that's why they want you to pay them in CASHHHHHHHHHHH. So the can be no trace to where the money comes from. They are not reporting their earnings to the IRS.. that's a major felony. that's years of jail. They're stealing millions of dollars to the US economy. They do it as a way to generate income, because they're not employed or they have jobs that aren't very stable, but regardless of what really is, is 100% illegal. I live in Miami Dade, and if you look on craicslist.com the place is full of people running illegal efficiencies. I wonder how many of them want you to sign a contract. What contract if you can't use it in a court of a law? These are people who have problems finding employment, and paying their mortgage and they end up running this illigal efficiencies. (short term rental) are you going to tell me that county police do not know about it. But it has become so bad because how many people live here, can't find jobs, and many can't find an apartment with what they're making (gig economy) that they allow for that to go on. They solve the living condition of some folks and they allow others to make money off of it. But it is 100% illegal. And I don't want to bring misfortune to anyone. but if you're living in one of this places and they're attacking you with noise, despite the fact you pay with cash every month like you're buying something illegal, and on top of that they're molesting you, harassing you, knocking on your walls, coming to see you in repeated occasions threatening you.... this is just baddddddd. county government knows this people are running this illegal's multi families operations. They see this problems go on and they let happen. millions of dollars stolen from US economy. Then they make you feel that you're not welcome.. are you kidding me??? I forgot to mention I live in Kendall, FL.. no really interested in maintaining my anonymity when they're trying to make you look like a criminal and they're the ones running the crime!!!!.. I whish the IRS or some news outlet contact me!!!!

I have an apartment so I have no blood in this. However, a large problem is that Miami is a very high-cost neighborhood and the majority of companies here pay only minimal wage. So the only way that many people can even keep a house is because they rent a room out. Which I think we need to have an open discussion on as a city. We keep trying to bring top companies that then in turn either bring top payed employees from other states, or hire locals but for a fraction of their real owed salary. And politicians don't care because there's money under the table to them to make these negotiations and bring the companies here. Then prices go further up. And since cities are just collecting cash on the taxes, they don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami