Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,169,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
"Hey dude, your neighborhood, sucks, I drove by there in 1978 and it sucks..
Hahahahhaha, this made me lol

Old 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM

911 posts, read 1,709,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
As a 39-year resident of Miami, I have found Jmlacysr's move and transition to be an interesting case study to follow. It's one that has been repeated over and over by unsuspecting "white" Americans who come here expecting one thing and finding quite another, and his complaints pretty much echo what they have said.
There are always two sides of the story and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. When we came here, I had been on this forum just long enough to read the cliff notes version of good and bad.

When I took an averaged what I learned, I believed that Miami is not that good or not that bad. I'm not sure anyone could prepare me fully and I was willing to accept the risk of "Miami it's not for everyone".

Many of the things I read on here beforehand I've found to be totally fabricated. Many of the things I read were grossly exaggerated. Many of the things I have learned being here were never mentioned and were of a worthy consideration. I think I'm starting to understand why the inconsistencies.

The inconsistencies are the individuals experiences not Miami as a whole and those individual experiences and beliefs are based on lifestyle, location and personal tolerances.

You can't really put Miami is a single bucket and generalize good and bad. It depends on where you live, and what your exposed to daily and what you're willing to live with and not.

If for example, I lived on Fisher Island, took the 40' dinghy to the mainland and Limoed off to the Aderinne I might love Miami more than someone who has to commute an 2 hours from the suburbs because he has 3 kids. If you couldn't find work, you would hate Miami. If you were homeless, you'd love Miami.

One of the challenges that is Miami specific is relocating here with the lack of homogeneous neighborhoods. In Dallas for example, we have no sketchy areas next to nice. The vast majority of the sketchy areas are south of downtown and of course that has nothing in common with Miami.

We looked close at the Grove, loved Cocowalk. We went into a few rentals but soon realized there are two Hibiscus Lanes. One is loosely known as Liberian City and one is so expensive only a few can afford it. The fact is, you can't really escape the poverty here. I had heard that on this forum, but underestimated it's truth factor. "Nice next to not so nice", it's a bigger deal here than I thought and I never envisioned the ultra rich stepping over the homeless.

I underestimated the importance of some factors and am only learning the intangibles as of now. I can't blame Miami for my own short comings because Miami is what it is and I knew that and accepted the first place would not be ideal.

The original plan for my son and I moving was to get here first and foremost. Even if we got the place in Surfside, we fully expected to move in a year to another place in Miami. The whole idea was to just get here, then find out where we wanted to live next as phase two.

Those goals were met and as anyone knows moving 1200 miles to an area you have never lived requires a certain spirit, effort, commitment not everyone posses. We can take some personal solace in the fact we planned and executed the move at all.

We also left Dallas knowing there would be challenges and overall I think we have handled them well. We got rid of both Texas cars and bought one with a Florida tag, my son is doing better at his job than we could have anticipated. We have a very nice place and very affordable but it's in an area in which we are not accustomed to living. We've made progress in 6 weeks but not always the best choices.

Since we have been here, we've been all over soflo. Davie to Kendall, Hialeah to Doral. Pompano to South point. A1a, US1, I95, turnpike. We've been to the Keys twice. I've been to every beach from 1st beach to FTL beach. I've been over every causeway from both directions. My son works downtown, so we know that area well. For only being here for 6 weeks we've covered some ground.

This is actually phase two of the overall plan. Find that "next" area and while we haven't zoned in on a neighborhood at least we know where we don't want to live and that's information I could not get online.

My son works in a high walk in traffic retail business in downtown Miami. He's a manager that specializes in consumer customer problems. Every walk of life walks in his door and the mood is not always pleasant. I'm a people person, I like to talk as evident here. I talk to strangers on the street for no reason at all. I talk to my neighbors and people at the grocery store. Both my son and I have opinions on the people and the attitudes here in Miami and they are surprising consistent and not all bad at all.

I say all this just to say, we've only been here six weeks but we have worked Miami to find out who and what's here and what's not and where we might fit and what we can live with and can't.

There are many things we like about Miami and I've said in another post, you guys don't know how lucky you for "some" things. Actually, I'm starting to think loving Miami has more to do with how much you love Miami vs, how much you hate Miami. If you love it more than hate it, you'll stay. Whether you love it or hate it will depend on your goals, your current situation and your experiences up to the time of the comment.

Someone smarter than me once said, "Just because you don't like Spinach doesn't make Spinach bad" and they were right. I love a nice Spinach salad with my Steak, but wouldn't like boiled Spinach on my ice cream. Loving or Hating Miami is a lot like this I think, it depends.

We're working hard to assimilate and we're hopeful we can find what we want here. We have time to search if we want to stay and we also have options to move anywhere else in the country. We came to Miami because we thought we wanted to live in Miami not because we had to come here.

Hopefully, we are smart enough not to judge our experience the first year with potential years for the future. We also hope rolling down A1A never get's tiresome, or biking over the Venetian or just napping on the sand in December. It may come to that but that day is not today.

Miami has not yet stripped us of a hopeful future here. Our existence today is neither ideal nor envisioned but we have made positive strides. The Miami glass is still half full and the next 10 months and our experiences up until that time will dictate what we do next and where.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,333,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Wow... thanks to everyone for completely dissing my neighborhood.
That's just so nice.

"Hey dude, your neighborhood, sucks, I drove by there in 1978 and it sucks. I was there last week and it sucks. They said it is up & coming, but it sucks."

So, the place I call home sucks. Thanks to everyone on this thread who contributed to such a decisive and definitive evaluation. I must be a total idiot for ever THINKING that I should live over here. Too many BAD people. I guess I was BLIND as well as being an IDIOT. All you people can KMA.

This thread should be LOCKED.
Be easy man, its not that serious. I personally don't think your area is bad. We drive through there often. I have driven through there as late as 3 in the morning. Generally at night the streets are quiet and hardly anyone is out. I hate lemon city, I think its very unattractive but a little further south I think its not so bad.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:44 PM

911 posts, read 1,709,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Be easy man, its not that serious. I personally don't think your area is bad. We drive through there often. I have driven through there as late as 3 in the morning. Generally at night the streets are quiet and hardly anyone is out. I hate lemon city, I think its very unattractive but a little further south I think its not so bad.

I've read Wynwoods post twice and laughed out load both times. His post should be in city-data's best of archive.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:01 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
I have not been personally impacted by any crime here in Miami, and I go to a lot of "interesting" places for my job. But I am disturbed by the amount of violence and crime here, three people I know personally had home invasions last year. Has anyone had problems with crime here?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,301,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have not been personally impacted by any crime here in Miami, and I go to a lot of "interesting" places for my job. But I am disturbed by the amount of violence and crime here, three people I know personally had home invasions last year. Has anyone had problems with crime here?
Might I ask where they lived (general area) and do they keep their doors locked? Was there any relationship between the invaders and invadees?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,046,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I have been following JM Lacy's posts for a while. *When he arrived in
Miami, he was all starry eyed and seemed to butt heads with the so-called
"negative" posters here. *He was convinced that the welcome mats were out
and that Miami really can't be so bad. *Fast forward 30 days and the guy is
already regretting his decision. *I don't blame JM; I don't blame anyone. *I
seem to recall a certain lady from NY who moved down here ended up packing
her s**t up and leaving faster can say "Jack Robinson" for similar
reasons.
about JM like someone else said, he did everything we advise him not to do, so much that many times I wonder if he is just not making it all up. He had options, I must have posted them at least 3 times. He totally ignored the suggestions which makes me think it's all made up. He could have sent his Border collie to a boarding place and stay in a short term rental. It was just common sense. No way in Hell I'm moving to a new city to a place I have never seen, especially with so many posters advising against the area. If he is for real I really don't have much sympathy for him. He made a mistake and he needs to move on. One thing I haven't heard yet is when his lease is going to expire

About the lady from New York, her case was very different. She did her research but underestimated the culture shock for her and her kids. She did ignore some advise (low pay, suburbia shock) Many people move here and love it. It just depends how much you love some things, how much you hate others. How much you are open to change too, and weather or not you have any alternatives. You just never know.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
When I moved here, prior to my move, I found the area with the best schools, Pinecrest area. I have found that an area coorelates pretty well with the best schools. I have never been unhappy with any of my moves, and I have lived alot of places, most of them, moved to sight unseen.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,046,352 times
Quote:
It is not a big city, in the sense of diversity and in the sense of beingI
able to blend in and find your niche. *If you do not fit into one of the few
groups of people here, you will find yourself an outcast and you will be
miserable and worse still, you may become an angry monster, like so many
people in Miami are, even if they don't want to admit it.
I think most cities in general don't have diverse cultures If your culture doesn't match the citys predominant culture, yes there is a good chance you will not like Miami much. Hipsters, enviromentalists, small town people will be a minority here.
Quote:
I came here with the same starry eyed nonsense myself. *I saw palm trees,
beautiful sunsets, skyscrapers and the lure of the Latin culture. *After a
short while, the novelty soon fades and you're left being constantly bit in
the a** by reality in the worst possible way. *Drivers that are beyond
reckless and a bloody threat to life, non-existent customer service, extreme
favoritism to certain people, shocking unprofessionalism and people who
generally never seem to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions.

As for me, I am stuck here for now because my wife's mother is sick. *We
cannot just leave, although I cannot wait for the day that I never have to
see this evil place ever again. *And yes, Miami is an evil place; a city
built on dirty money and crime. *That kind of "bad" doesn't just go away in
less than 3 decades. *Those people are still here and they've reproduced +
Miami has attracted more garbage from other parts of the country and the
world (that's why I call Miami the "A**hole Magnet".
many people move here and still enjoy the natural beauty and the weather. Drivers and customer service are not a priority to many people. Personally I have had bad service just everywhere from TX, NY all the way to small southern towns. I had cashiers in NYC who can't figure out basic math, even when some posters here claim every citizen there is super intellectual. There is a high chance you are not very skilled if you are doing a customer service job anywhere in the planet

I don't think the culture here is garbage. It's just not for everybody.

Personally i like some things here, I don't like others but even my likes and dislikes have changed since I started posting in this board. Everybody is different. I never been 100% in love with the culture here, but it's because I have different priorities. As much as NE pseudo intellectuals bother me, I do like environments where people like to discuss other topics besides the latest movie, the newewst BMw model or anything that belongs in a cosmo or national enquirer issue.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,096,947 times
When I think multicultural I think people living next to one another from various nations and cultures and not in there own separate hoods. I don't see that in my hood anyway and other areas inside miami proper may be different.
-------

Really, where do you see that in the US or in Europe for that matter?
In Hollywood series?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami