Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times

Advertisements

As I had mentioned in a recent post, I was down in Miami from Oct 20 to November 2 and one of the things I noticed again and had almost forgot about from the last visit, was the angle and power of the sun. I was happily surprised at what a difference 7 degrees of latitude can make in the brightness and intensity of the sun.

Even in Late October/Early November you practically need welding goggles to be outside. Ok.. That's an exaggeration, but seriously it's a lot more cheerful than San Diego which brings me to my first question. For you Southern (important) Californians or anyone who has lived at approximately 33 degrees latitude, and/or commutes there and back to Miami regularly enough to notice the difference: Does it seem quite noticeably more bright and cheerful and does that 7 degrees of difference make it seem like summer even at this time of the year?

The second question:

I am well aware of how having the sun at a higher angle in the sky can increase the radiant power of the sunlight, but I noticed a phenomenon I could not account for. Namely that at about 7:40 or 8:00 or so -- right after sunrise, when the sun had barely cleared 10 degrees over the horizon, the intensity of it was like a blast furnace. It was enormously powerful, even I dare say, as powerful as the summer midday sun here in San Diego. Has anyone noticed this, and can anyone account for why the sun would have such power when it's at such a low angle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Actually, I did notice. 80* here is not like 80* in Dallas. The sun here is more intense. Probably a good thing in winter but a not such a good thing in summer here.

The color of the sunlight seems different as well. It's actually cooler in color temperature which probably accounts for it's apparent brightness. It's the same effect as HID bulbs. Whiter bulbs appear brighter even though they are the same wattage.

Good catch on that, I thought I was the only one that noticed.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Question Question for Jmlacysr:

I actually noticed that effect back in 1984 when I went down to Sarasota and stayed on Lido Key. The sun is a whiter white and the sky is a deeper hue of blue with not as much of a turquoise hue (even though the ocean is), and it somehow translates into bringing out the gamma values of the greens and even the turquoise hues of the ocean. I was there in March and I noticed it, and I have to say that the combination of color temperature factor with the soil type, the heat and the humidity magnifies the absurd color saturation of greens and accentuates the chiaroscuro effect that you see in all the foliage there. I like to refer to this as the "Miami Glow".

What I would like to know from you, Jmlacysr, is have you have noticed this effect at THIS time of the year -- even with the dry weather and the cold wave we've been having? I'm asking you because you seem particularly observant of these types of things. I welcome anybody else who has observed this effect to answer as well. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami