Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:09 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Its Aventura - AVENTURA.
I tried to resist - but in post after post seeing it misspelled by Boxus was like nails on a chalkboard.
Thanks for the correction, but, where is my "post after post" as you state? I cannot recall me ever typing it in any other post besides this one you referred to.

I have lived here for a couple of months, never even seen it spelled until now, never thought to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
South Florida should simply become it's own Spanish-speaking state within the US. At least there should be a vote on it. This isn't a criticism - if it's what the majority want, then so be it. Miami would be the US equivalent of Montreal, only Spanish speaking. I would have no real problem with it as 1) I'm not sticking around and 2) it'd stop people from bashing the US for being so monolingual and would encourage people to learn a 2nd language.

Florida itself was discovered by Spaniards anyway. At the very least, those moving here would know what to expect and would come equipped with Spanish.
There is no official language, so I do not see how there should be a vote based on a language.

The only reason so many people in the world know a second language is because the second language is almost always English. Really no point in someone whose first language is English needing to learn a second one. The only reason would be for economic benefit, which outside a few careers, not much of a need.

So basically, I see no reason for anyone to learn a second language if they know English already, unless it is for a specific reason, or because of just interests.

And again, you equate being bilingual with knowing English and Spanish. It seems many here have a hard time understanding that being bilingual means knowing two languages, not just English and Spanish. You imply in your post the second language everyone needs to know is Spanish.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,779,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Thanks for the correction, but, where is my "post after post" as you state? I cannot recall me ever typing it in any other post besides this one you referred to.

I have lived here for a couple of months, never even seen it spelled until now, never thought to look.
I owe you an apology - it was not you - it was another poster on both Miami and FLL forum.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM

932 posts, read 1,174,461 times
Quote:
There is no official language, so I do not see how there should be a vote based on a language.

The only reason so many people in the world know a second language is because the second language is almost always English. Really no point in someone whose first language is English needing to learn a second one. The only reason would be for economic benefit, which outside a few careers, not much of a need.

So basically, I see no reason for anyone to learn a second language if they know English already, unless it is for a specific reason, or because of just interests.

And again, you equate being bilingual with knowing English and Spanish. It seems many here have a hard time understanding that being bilingual means knowing two languages, not just English and Spanish. You imply in your post the second language everyone needs to know is Spanish.
I feel that everyone should know at least one other language. No, it does not have to be Spanish at all, but it'd be the most logical second language for people in the US (or maybe Chinese). I think that we are arrogant, in the English speaking world. We (Americans and the English themselves too) go abroad, expecting other nations to speak English. I will say one thing for the Spanish speaking people in Miami - most of them are actually bilingual, even though Miami is seen as a place where no English is spoken (this I disagree with).

English speakers need to stop being so arrogant. The world does not revolve around the English language.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:45 PM

163 posts, read 315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
English speakers need to stop being so arrogant. The world does not revolve around the English language.
Maybe, but the united states does. English is the dominant language, and after all miami is part of this country. If english isn't someones dominant language thats fine, but if you are going to live in a country where it is you better be bilingual.

(i'm very liberal, but this drives me nuts)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 PM

"English speakers need to stop being so arrogant. The world does not revolve around the English language."

It is not arrogance, it is simple economics.

English is the second language taught or desired in almost every region of the world, it is the unofficial language of economics.

I can guarantee that a person can visit ten countries; Thailand, China, Germany, Hungary, Uzbekistan, Brazil, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Sweden; and will find people there that speak English, quite easily as the people who speak English (or even roughly), are engaged in commerce.

Now, which of these countries' languages on Mr. American travels should he learn? Which one out of the ten countries will benefit him?

The answer is none, because the language of commerce is English. And when even people from each of these countries mingle together, English is spoken widely accept in regional areas (like former USSR republics where the language of business is Russian amongst all of them).

So back to the point, knowing a second language is cool and all, but really, an English speaker does not receive direct benefits unlike someone who speaks English as a second language. Sure, knowing German is great, but it is not going to get you as far in the world as knowing English.

The world does indeed revolve around English, one just needs to go to any internet club in the world, talk amongst tourist trap shop owners, taxi drivers, etc; and you will see that the common thread between it all is English in some shape or form.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM

932 posts, read 1,174,461 times
Quote:
"English speakers need to stop being so arrogant. The world does not revolve around the English language."

It is not arrogance, it is simple economics.

English is the second language taught or desired in almost every region of the world, it is the unofficial language of economics.

I can guarantee that a person can visit ten countries; Thailand, China, Germany, Hungary, Uzbekistan, Brazil, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Russia, and Sweden; and will find people there that speak English, quite easily as the people who speak English (or even roughly), are engaged in commerce.

Now, which of these countries' languages on Mr. American travels should he learn? Which one out of the ten countries will benefit him?

The answer is none, because the language of commerce is English. And when even people from each of these countries mingle together, English is spoken widely accept in regional areas (like former USSR republics where the language of business is Russian amongst all of them).

So back to the point, knowing a second language is cool and all, but really, an English speaker does not receive direct benefits unlike someone who speaks English as a second language. Sure, knowing German is great, but it is not going to get you as far in the world as knowing English.

The world does indeed revolve around English, one just needs to go to any internet club in the world, talk amongst tourist trap shop owners, taxi drivers, etc; and you will see that the common thread between it all is English in some shape or form.
Well buddy, it's not going to be "economics" forever. As countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia continue to evolve and become superpowers themselves, it may come to a point where either Chinese, Spanish or Portuguese become the main language. Yes it is arrogance and reeks of disrespect when many Americans flat out refuse to learn another language, even if abroad (often the same people who complain about Mexicans not knowing English). Just because you know English, why should you be exempt from having to learn a second language? Besides, it broadens the mind. I have great respect for people who are truly bilingual and as much as I dislike Miami, I respect the fact that many people here can fluently converse in both English and Spanish - same cannot be said for other parts of the US.

See, it's also about respect. Americans travel an awful lot, but many don't try to speak the language of the countries they visit: they just assume that it's all good to just speak English, because Jean-Pierre the foreigner will know. The damn English are just as guilty (been to Spain and seen it).

English is only the de facto language because of the British Empire. As time passes, the influence of the British Empire will continue to dwindle, including the use of the English language. When that happens, I hope that future Americans are prepared and don't read your posts on this subject!

Old 12-26-2010, 11:38 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,169,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
^^ well not me. If I wanted to live in a condo, I would move to a city where people actually walk and live real urban lives. Condos here are a joke. Also I'm not that thrilled with aventuras demographics and surrounding neighborhoods.

At least better than most Miamians.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 AM

250 posts, read 695,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
*Cuban balseros culture: racism, sectarianism, fraud, parasites, couch potato people, scarce food menu, uneducated people, false proud,no speaking English, having to stand same tedious and uninspiring speech about Cuba is a kind of a continent in every corner, tackiness, covert communism, AND that covered hostility for foreigners including Americans as well as the blatant disrespect for American laws.

*Lack of diversity plans: everything here is about malls and the beach.

*Sectorized neighborhoods: Cuban with Cubans, Haitian with Haitians, Venezuelan with .... u know, there is not real integration here. I remember when I came here someone told not to be in certain neighborhoods because I could be assaulted or bashed just because I was of certain skin color and so on.

*Manipulated media: especially in radio stations where everything is about Cuba or other specific countries. You have to go to the net to find for real news. There is a big bias on politicians on most of that radio stations. And did I mention the big business has become certain christian radio stations asking for money cashing on the charity disguise? oh come on?

*Corruption to the higher levels: Politicians, medicare fraudulent ppl, realtors, some government offices employees etc have carried off the first prize in corruption in the country. It's the Cuban mafia.

*Extreme favoritism: On specific cultures

and etc etc..Of course, most of those things the majority of people are not aware because things are designed to make you appear that everything is ok when is not.

There is an intrinsic evilness in this city where you sometimes become caught up in the system too which is inevitable until this city be cleaned up.
Agreed...

I will add that this and gold diggers make dating horrible here.

I also hate the cooler than thou attitudes. Im so hot and youre so not.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 AM

613 posts, read 1,053,070 times
Lebron James
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami