Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with them? Despite low incomes, sky high housing and rising food prices now I see gas prices over 4.00 a gallon. Despite a 16 year low demand, gas prices have reached record levels due to the Federal Reserve printing 85 billion a month QE to support the economy. Do you drive less? Do you cut back in other areas? How will this affect the current real estate bubble? Are any of you suffering with slow mass transit, or moving to "walkable" pigeon holes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
It must be incredibly sad to lead a life so pathetic that one's sole pleasure comes from trolling the Miami board to post derogatory comments about the city day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year. And given this post from 2009, you appear to know as much about economics as you do about Miami:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Most families here do not even take in that much and survive. Unless you joing the ever-increasing jobless here you will be fine until hyperinflation hits the country starting in 2010.
2010, huh? Well, that actually wasnt even the first time you predicted hyperinflation. Here's a post from July 2008:

Quote:
You cannot convince me that a city with no energy, metals, or any natural resources can be self-sufficient. As for Latin American hyperinflation, that is coming to the US in the future for sure. Miami just seems like a rotten place for honest business, with poor transportation and a significant risk of natural disaster. The economy in Miami is so weak that it cannot even provide substantial wages for most employees. Once the oil runs out I do think that Miami will simply be left behind, and if a hurricane hits I have two words for you, New Orleans.

So no hyperinflation in 2008, 2009, or 2010. Did that dissuade you from this ridiculous assertion? Of course not! You just moved your "prediction" back to 2011! Here's a post from March 2011:

Quote:
Rents are way too high relative to incomes in dade county. I have seen investors buy and rent every vacant home in the last few months but people are still losing their jobs. Once hyperinflation hits interest rates will skyrocket and another real estate crash will sweep the investors in the storm drain. Another financial collapse is on the way, so if you want to buy a home make sure it is cheap cash sale or a super low fixed rate.
I guess when you said on the way, you really didn't mean anytime within the following two years though.

So you've been wrong every year from 2008 until 2013. That sort of puts the lie to the whole Proven right over time tagline beneath your SN, doesn't it? Or do you just want to make your next prediction for 2033 so you'll be covered for the next 20 years?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It must be incredibly sad to lead a life so pathetic that one's sole pleasure comes from trolling the Miami board to post derogatory comments about the city day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year. And given this post from 2009, you appear to know as much about economics as you do about Miami:

2010, huh? Well, that actually wasnt even the first time you predicted hyperinflation. Here's a post from July 2008:

So no hyperinflation in 2008, 2009, or 2010. Did that dissuade you from this ridiculous assertion? Of course not! You just moved your "prediction" back to 2011! Here's a post from March 2011:

I guess when you said on the way, you really didn't mean anytime within the following two years though.

So you've been wrong every year from 2008 until 2013. That sort of puts the lie to the whole Proven right over time tagline beneath your SN, doesn't it? Or do you just want to make your next prediction for 2033 so you'll be covered for the next 20 years?
So what does this have to do with gas prices? South Floridians feel pinch at the pump | News - Home

Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM

253 posts, read 434,294 times
It's a simple correlation. Oil speculators will no longer allow gas prices to reflect actual cost of the product. If the stock market is going up, gas prices will follow. That's what happened recently. There's no chance that greedy bunch will allow the market to bust 14,000 without gas prices tagging along. The only way we'll see low gas prices again is if the economy freefalls like late 2008. Maybe electing Jed Bush is the solution.

The only trick I have is to handicap the situation, by watching the market price and other related variables. I know when the trend is upward or downward. If it's upward you have to grab it fast and fill up your tank. If the trend is downward then the idea is to fill only partially, what you need, and wait for the lower price in a few days. I know which nearby stations move the number quickly, and which ones get stuck. There's one station nearby that refuses to change on weekends, for whatever reason. I grabbed $3.72 last Saturday when everybody nearby was already in the mid $3.80s.

I also bought several gas cards when available at Publix, paying $40 for $50 of gas. Unfortunately Hess pulled out of the promotion last year but Publix still offers Shell and RaceTrac. Shell is generally high priced but one station not far from me on Sunset Road is reasonably low. RaceTrac is good to stash for my cross country trips to Las Vegas and elsewhere.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
We buy gas at Costco. It's $3.8x something there. We also get the Publix gas cards when they have that offer. My Publix sells Shell and BP and we have a local BP with competitive prices. Combine that with 20% off makes a good deal. But high gas prices is pretty much a nationwide problem. That's one thing I can't blame on Miami.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
How do you deal with them? Despite low incomes, sky high housing and rising food prices now I see gas prices over 4.00 a gallon. Despite a 16 year low demand, gas prices have reached record levels due to the Federal Reserve printing 85 billion a month QE to support the economy. Do you drive less? Do you cut back in other areas? How will this affect the current real estate bubble? Are any of you suffering with slow mass transit, or moving to "walkable" pigeon holes?
I knew this was going to happen eventually (the high gas prices), which is one of the reasons we moved to a more walk-able area (the Grove). I am hoping to make another move soon, to a even more urban environment, we will see how that goes. Outside of that, you just have to suck it up. Imagine when gas prices start being reflected in food (which it will). Its annoying to say the least.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
But high gas prices is pretty much a nationwide problem. That's one thing I can't blame on Miami.

Gotta agree with this, high gas prices are nothing unique to Miami...Yes, I try to drive less whenever possible, but I would do that even if gas prices weren't that high. As for "sky high housing and food prices", I haven't noticed too much of this, unless you mean rents?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
It's a simple correlation. Oil speculators will no longer allow gas prices to reflect actual cost of the product. If the stock market is going up, gas prices will follow. That's what happened recently. There's no chance that greedy bunch will allow the market to bust 14,000 without gas prices tagging along. The only way we'll see low gas prices again is if the economy freefalls like late 2008. Maybe electing Jed Bush is the solution.

The only trick I have is to handicap the situation, by watching the market price and other related variables. I know when the trend is upward or downward. If it's upward you have to grab it fast and fill up your tank. If the trend is downward then the idea is to fill only partially, what you need, and wait for the lower price in a few days. I know which nearby stations move the number quickly, and which ones get stuck. There's one station nearby that refuses to change on weekends, for whatever reason. I grabbed $3.72 last Saturday when everybody nearby was already in the mid $3.80s.

I also bought several gas cards when available at Publix, paying $40 for $50 of gas. Unfortunately Hess pulled out of the promotion last year but Publix still offers Shell and RaceTrac. Shell is generally high priced but one station not far from me on Sunset Road is reasonably low. RaceTrac is good to stash for my cross country trips to Las Vegas and elsewhere.

Current prices are not going to be affected by the futures market. Futures market affects people who are speculating on oil prices, so they buy at a certain amount now (generally higher than spot prices) assuming prices will surge. Look up airline companies and futures market. I believe it was United Airlines or the company they merged with, that caused them to get into financial trouble as a result of hedging. Meaning they assumed oil prices would be mega high, they purchased at some silly high prices, and prices never did what they thought it would. This means the company now has to cover these high prices and their competition doesn't. So for example airline company X hedges and now they are buying gas at 200 a barrels in n months, assuming the price will be 300 a barrel in n months. But n months comes and goes and prices are 150 and EVERYONE else is paying 150 accept company x. But company x HAS to cover those costs, so they can raise airfare, but then that makes them noncompetitive. Now company x already had financial problems, but this just adds to the problem. So this is the real problem with futures, doesn't really affect joe shmoe on the street. Spot prices, which does affect John Q Public, are affected by supply/demand and the amount of money in circulation. Specifically, the amount of U.S. dollars in circulation.

Here is a article you can check out Good Article

In the article, they are using economic jargon, but the main thrust of the argument in the article is QE (Quantitative Easing) which is egghead babble for printing money. Check this out QE

I have had arguments for days on these very forums about all this (this was two or three years back maybe more). I generally avoid these topics now, because most people don't understand how economics work (I have a degree in it, which gives me a LITTLE more understanding, but not much lol).

You should also check out this video series
Money As Debt

America is in bad shape, you don't run up decades of debt and think a recession (which was really a depression) is going to solve that. We still have tons of debt, no way to pay it and we have structural issues in terms of how our economy works. I don't know what the answer is to be honest, but one thing is for certain, ish is real.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
It varies a lot upon the area, in something like NW Dade (abeam Westview) it's something like approx .13-.15 per gallon less than an area like South Miami, Aventura, or similar. And probably something like .20-.25 less than Brickell or Miami Beach (and other dense centrally located areas). I just go (sometimes) to ghetto-ish areas and fill in a Sunoco or something. Probably the best deal and generally no major safety issues - just use common sense, do it quickly, and don't do it at night.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM

JacobMax

Remember to, those variances also depend on how much the station is paying for their location, for insurance etc. All that factors in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami