Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 24,967 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some people who are currently living or have lived in Miami for honest advice before I make that move.

I lost my job well over 9 months ago. I was the General Manager for a large nightclub for the last 5 years. We were a very busy place and very profitable. We catered to an upscale clientele. The owner of the venue pass away unexpectedly. The wife had no interest in keeping the venue open and running. It was closed only days after his death. The venue was sold off piece by piece till it was gone. Sadly all the staff was simply let go. Most employees were only part time but it was my full time job. 40+ hours a week. I have worked in the nightlife industry for the last 15 years. I have looked for work all over the USA and even parts of Europe with no success. I was told by some people in the nightlife business that Miami has the best possibility of employment for managers like myself with the amount of experience I have. I cannot continue to live to here in NYC because of a few reasons. Mainly the lack of work in my field of expertise. There is a war on nightclubs and bars in NYC. The city just doesn't want them here anymore. Another reason my rent is well over 1850 for a small one bedroom on the upper east side and its less than 520 sq ft, that is not including parking, utilities and other bills in that price. With no income or unemployment, thats getting really hard to pay each month and the savings is going bye bye pretty fast.

My questions...

1. Is the nightlife in Miami any good from a employee point of view.
(Please only answer this question if you know the nightlife scene.)

2. Is the cost of living in Miami higher then NYC?

3. What does a basic apartment cost in a safe area.

4. What are the safe areas to live in.

5. What could you get for let say $900 month in a safe area.

6. Is Miami a ghost town on the weekdays?

I've done all the home work I can from here and I do not have the luxury to fly there and check it out first. It would be a move there and make it work thing.

Any help would be someday rewarded with many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: