Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Miami in late January?

Well, I'm coming to Miami in late next month to do a drastic and much needed update for my website. Miami is one of my most requested cities and I think it's one of my worst collections of photos for any city.

So my question is about the weather and general scenery. It's ok in Jan right? I'm assuming it's still green and photogenic, but thought I would make sure.

Also, any ideas or suggestions for skyline photos? I will be doing ground shots and aerials. I will also be doing Fort Lauderdale or other areas worthy of taking photos.

Here are some links to photos I recently took in Florida to get an idea of what I'm looking to do.

Thanks in advance!

Orlando Florida - City Skyline Pictures Prints Canvas Digital Stock - Black & White/Color Art Cityscapes

Tampa Florida - City Skyline Pictures Prints Canvas Digital Stock - Black & White/Color Art Cityscapes

St. Petersburg Florida - City Skyline Pictures Prints Canvas Digital Stock - Black & White/Color Art Cityscapes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Its gorgeous - some of the best weather of the year. Miami is always green.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:39 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Well this year has been an interesting year. Usually things don't get brown till March and by the end of May the grass is green again. But things like the grass around Miami are brown right now and certain trees have lost their leaves or are changing colors. The usual trees like Oaks and Palms are still green right now. January is a dry month so you will not have to worry about rain. January in Miami is usually windy, not sure why, but every January its windy.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Also, any ideas or suggestions for skyline photos? I will be doing ground shots and aerials. I will also be doing Fort Lauderdale or other areas worthy of taking photos.

Your pix are great dude. My suggestion to you is rent a boat so you can sail out to the very best spots in Biscayne Bay to get the ideal shot. The Miami Skyline from Biscayne Bay is awesome, but trying to get the best angle skipping around on the causeways may not yield you quite the results a professional mat desire.

I took this boat from the speedboat tour - obviously not ideal but maybe it will give you an idea what could be done given ideal conditions.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I would personally recommend coming in the summer to get some spectacular skyline shots with towering thunderclouds in the distance. They really give Miami a more tropical and exotic look, and make up for the lack of mountains.

Other than that, in January there should be clear blue and beautiful.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
In terms of the ocean, is the water the same amazing blue-green color year round? I've heard in some places like North Carolina its only pretty in the summer months. I'll be visiting Florida in January - definitely Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral and the Keys and possibly Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale/Delray Beach (one of the 3) and am just wondering. Also are there less mosquitoes and other bugs in the winter or is that an issue year round?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:03 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
The color of the ocean from far depends on the color of the sky. The cloudier, the more brownish. Our waters are not crystal clear like Will Smith claims in his Miami song. I'm not a huge fan, never been. In fact I hate our beaches and their ugly tall hotels around it. It's like a constant reminder of the real estate mess we have here. If you want amazing beaches go to the panhandle next time you come to Florida or visit the Bahamas.

I don't know about mosquitoes because they never bite me. I know they spray a lot here. I have seen bug issues on the sw Florida coast, no-see-uhms or whatever they're called, but never heard anyone complaining about them in Miami.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:15 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
OP January is usually a very dry month so i'm sure you will get some good blue sky days. Some vegetation and lawns could be brown, but I'm sure you will find green vegetation in the upscale/tourist communities and businesses.

The worst months in my opinion are May and June because it can rain for days.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Great! Thanks for all the replies!

I would like to hit Miami in Jan because it's one of the few cities I can hit that time of year. Renting a boat is a good idea, but a helicopter will do the same and give me some elevation.

I look forward to it. They have added so many new building there in the past five years. That brings up another questions. I assume new tower construction has all but stopped there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami