Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 PM

563 posts, read 1,030,169 times

Advertisements

Just got a notice to update this thread. I haven't been back on this thread but I have just reviewed ray1945's list again for nostalgia's sake. There are a few that bring back some really happy memories like Victoria Station and Tony Roma's. And wow, Chippy's too on Miracle Mile, which I think became Sambo's. Believe it or not, I still have a memory at age 50-something of being a little child at Chippy's and spilling my orange soda there. Weird memory, huh? And going to Jordan Marsh always was a treat as an older child. I don't know, there seemed to be something special about it. Do department stores even have restaurants anymore? I know there's a restaurant at Nordstrom's here where I live. It's nice too, but of course never as nice as Jordan Marsh was.

Do any of you have any special stories to tell about these older restaurants, growing up in the 70's or 80's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 09:32 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,176,879 times
Smile Going with my mom

On very special times, my mom would take me to Jordan March in Fort Lauderdale at the Galleria - it was then called Sunrise Shopping Center. Twice a year, we would venture down to Bal Harbour and eat at Neiman Marcus.

They had great popovers.

Sometimes, we would go to Las Olas.

I remember my mom, my MIL to be and I found my wedding dress at David's on Las Olas - yes, that was in the 1980's. We then went to lunch at Café de Paris which, I think, just closed.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 PM

Isn't it special to remember these little details of our lives back then? Popovers! How cool and unique too especially because you can't find them very often.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 PM

253 posts, read 431,588 times
New York New York restaurant can be added to the list. It closed a few years ago. I think I mentioned it in the Gone But Not Forgotten thread.

It was in the shopping center on the south side of Kendall Drive at SW 107th Avenue, next to a Play It Again sports. If we ever had to wait for a table I'd walk around Play It Again but I'm not sure I ever bought anything.

New York New York was often termed a deli but the menu featured plenty of everything. My parents loved the place because the waiters and waitresses remained for years, if not decades, and knew the regulars by name and what they would order. The portions were large enough that my parents would split one meal, including the salad. I always tried to pretend I needed a full portion, and often struggled to get through it. Chicken pasta was one of my staples.

There were New York themed pictures and movie posters all over the restaurant, including a New York City subway map near the front register. I always chose the booth seating facing the front of the restaurant because I could watch the small news and sports ticker high on that wall.

On entrance and exit I always grabbed at least a few mini Tootsie Rolls, offered free in a little bowl. I didn't mind waiting for a table because it provided excuse to make multiple trips to the bowl.

New York New York closed rather abruptly, circa 2012. I never heard the full story. I remember seeing a sign on the door indicating a brief closure with plans to restructure and reopen. For whatever reason I doubted it would open again, and unfortunately that was correct.

I still can't place the name of that burger joint from the '70s on Coral Way and 87th Avenue, not far from the front entrance of Publix. That building became Miami Subs. It might be Starbucks now. From the list the only possibility is Burger Giant, although that doesn't jump out as correct.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,114,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Just got a notice to update this thread. I haven't been back on this thread but I have just reviewed ray1945's list again for nostalgia's sake. There are a few that bring back some really happy memories like Victoria Station and Tony Roma's. And wow, Chippy's too on Miracle Mile, which I think became Sambo's. Believe it or not, I still have a memory at age 50-something of being a little child at Chippy's and spilling my orange soda there. Weird memory, huh? And going to Jordan Marsh always was a treat as an older child. I don't know, there seemed to be something special about it. Do department stores even have restaurants anymore? I know there's a restaurant at Nordstrom's here where I live. It's nice too, but of course never as nice as Jordan Marsh was.

Do any of you have any special stories to tell about these older restaurants, growing up in the 70's or 80's?
I remember them all. You didn't grow up in the Gables, did you? Woolworth's lunch counter was one place I'd go with friends. After CGHS football games we'd end up at Jan's on the Mile. Burdines was the place at the Mall. Heck, I remember the Dadeland Mall before it was an indoor mall. About the only place I miss after moving out of Miami is Shorty's BBQ and some good Cuban food.

You can sign me off as Miamian in SC

Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 AM

We don't forget those little details like the bowl of mini Tootsie Rolls you mentioned, Awsi Dooger! You reminded me of the round candies they had at the cash register at Rusty Pelican. The outside colors were bright like turquoise and hot pink and in biting into them they were chocolaty and minty in flavor.

Eldemila, I sure did grow up in the Gables. My mom used to take me to Woolworth's on Saturdays. I'll never forget the Cuban lady who worked the lunch counter. She got to know us already. I had either a slice of cheese pizza or a piece of fried chicken. It was on Miracle Mile and had a sit-down restaurant too. I graduated from CGHS. And yes, I remember Burdines and the old Dadeland Mall too before they enclosed it, and the fountain too, a dragon, wasn't it? I haven't been to Miami for quite a few years but whenever I go there I always go to Versailles on Calle Ocho. It's nice to see that it is still as it was. We have Cuban food here too in Raleigh-Durham, but it isn't the same as Miami. The food is good, but the ambiance of Versailles is unique.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
We don't forget those little details like the bowl of mini Tootsie Rolls you mentioned, Awsi Dooger! You reminded me of the round candies they had at the cash register at Rusty Pelican. The outside colors were bright like turquoise and hot pink and in biting into them they were chocolaty and minty in flavor.

Eldemila, I sure did grow up in the Gables. My mom used to take me to Woolworth's on Saturdays. I'll never forget the Cuban lady who worked the lunch counter. She got to know us already. I had either a slice of cheese pizza or a piece of fried chicken. It was on Miracle Mile and had a sit-down restaurant too. I graduated from CGHS. And yes, I remember Burdines and the old Dadeland Mall too before they enclosed it, and the fountain too, a dragon, wasn't it? I haven't been to Miami for quite a few years but whenever I go there I always go to Versailles on Calle Ocho. It's nice to see that it is still as it was. We have Cuban food here too in Raleigh-Durham, but it isn't the same as Miami. The food is good, but the ambiance of Versailles is unique.
Where in Raleigh-Durham is there good Cuban food.. I'm there about every 6 months, sometimes sooner and we haven't found a place for Cuban food. We usually stay in Durham when we come up, so hoping it's something in that area, or not too far from there or Duke. We love trying new restaurants when we go up.

Can't remember the dragon fountain, but do remember the grocery store at Dadeland and a great salad place. My place for Cuban food was Rio Crystal on Bird Rd - it's still there too. For me at Woolworth's ot was the grilled cheese sandwiches.

My sister comes to visit every year and brings me Shorty's sauce and slaw. They don't use celery seed here in "the south."

CGHS - what year did you graduate? Went to Ponce, Carver and CG Elementary, lived off Bird and Riviera. Don't miss it a bit!

Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 PM

Durham, believe it or not, has a few Cuban restaurants.There's Old Havana Sandwich Shop (Old Havana Sandwich Shop), Cuban Revolution (cubanrevolution2016). Both Old Havana and Cuban Revolution are in downtown Durham.
There's also Carmen's, but that's not in Durham; it's out by the airport - RDU.

I graduated in 1976. I went to Gables High for just a year, transferring there from Immaculata LaSalle High School. You lived pretty close to me, Eldemila. I lived off Old Cutler Road and Sunset Drive.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Durham, believe it or not, has a few Cuban restaurants.There's Old Havana Sandwich Shop (Old Havana Sandwich Shop), Cuban Revolution (cubanrevolution2016). Both Old Havana and Cuban Revolution are in downtown Durham.
There's also Carmen's, but that's not in Durham; it's out by the airport - RDU.

I graduated in 1976. I went to Gables High for just a year, transferring there from Immaculata LaSalle High School. You lived pretty close to me, Eldemila. I lived off Old Cutler Road and Sunset Drive.

You could have walked to my house from Gables High I lived 4 blocks from the school. You weren't a band geek, were you?

Old 06-25-2016, 10:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,310,579 times
I remember going downtown with a friend when I was very young - starting in 1954 (9 yrs 0ld). We'd take the #11 bus from 43rd Ave and get off in front of Woolworth's, where we'd go for a slice of pizza before spending a few hours shopping in Burdines, Jackson/Byrons, Richards and other stores. We didn't have much money, mostly we just looked. When the Christmas season rolled around, we would do our Christmas shopping and then enjoy the ferris wheel and other rides that were on Burdine's rooftop for the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami