Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 04:50 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times

Advertisements

"Decobike" is soon coming to Miami Beach, with 1000 bikes spread apart in 100 "bike stations" (Google it and/or read the Herald article).

My favorite quote from their website: "Locals & Residents purchasing a membership subscription enjoy a one-time, reduced deposit of $185 which is fully-refundable." I don't know about you, but I would hardly "enjoy" putting up this kind of deposit. Especially as it's not clear what conditions apply to the "fully refundable" part. Oh, without a membership, expect a $350 hold when you rent the bike for the free initial half hour period. That's comparable to a car rental or hotel room hold! Want to rent twice for a free round-trip? Well, that's a $700 hold!!!!

Just be forewarned if you're considering traveling to Miami Beach and using the service.

I do see other potential issues with the program, but let's first see what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 08:10 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times
Montreal's BIXI public bike system works in a similar fashion. If you use the day pass they put a $250 security deposit on your credit card, so it's similar to Decobike in that regard, but if you have a monthly or yearly subscription BIXI waives the security deposit. Odd that Decobike should insist on the security deposit for subscribers. That's not a user-friendly option. Neither is the six-page rental agreement. And you're right, there are a lot of things they don't cover. For starters, I'd feel better about it if it gave a receipt when you dock the bike at your destination, like Montreal's system does.

But I think that in theory it's great, and I hope it takes off. Anything that makes Miami more pedestrian/bike friendly and eases traffic problems is a step in the right direction, and there are parts of this county that are a lot of fun to explore on a bike at a leisurely pace.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
A waived deposit for regular users would make the program much more user friendly. But here are the issues I can come up with:

1.) The program does not come with any means of making the streets of Miami Beach more bike friendly. You're just adding 1000 bikes to an already congested grid (sidewalks included!). I wish we really were making Miami more bike/pedestrian friendly, but this is not the case...
2.) As a motorist on the beach, you will see even more cyclists breaking traffic laws, and more congestion and potential accidents. As a pedestrian, how often does a cyclist using the sidewalk warn you when they approach from behind?
3.) From a cyclist safety standpoint, how many riders are actually going to wear a helmet (which is just as much FL law as wearing a seat belt in a vehicle). Not many SoBe tourists travel with bike helmets.
4.) The potential of having to "search" for a bike station with enough space to return a bike, in the case of an event in South Beach...and probably going over the 30 minute grace period in the process.
5.) Lack of interest?? Granted CD is not necessarily a representative sample, but only one post so far?....hmmm.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Only 16 and under must wear helmets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami