Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 35,241 times

Advertisements

I have three young children who currently attend a parochial school. We love the education they have received, as well as the nurturing and cooperative environment. Unfortunately, the cost has caught up to us to the point where living in the negative has reached a limit. We have no choice but to find an alternative.
I do not like the public schools in our area at all. How would I go about in enrolling them in a dade public school that is not in our area, or even the same Region? I am at my wits end trying to find someone who can help me. I already lost count of the number of phones I have called at dade count schools looking for some guidance. I am feeling very lost trying to navigate the school "system." Perhaps someone has gone thru a similar situation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Make a friend and use their address, or home school.

"I am feeling very lost trying to navigate the school "system."

Yet you want to send your kid to them..........

Old 01-03-2011, 07:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

This or go to your school board district HQ ( there is one for north miami, south miami, west miami etc etc) and talk to someone in there usually they will change the school for you but only during the beginning of the year it will be a lot harder towards the middle or end of the school year. You have to maintain good grades and good attendance/discipline or they will send you back to your district school. Or you can just enroll in a magnet program if they are below 9th grade.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
MDCPS has a number of 'Schools of Choice' that accept students from all regions via application. Check it out here:

Miami-Dade County Public Schools - Division of School Choice & Parental Options

Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM

45 posts, read 134,224 times
Default Only cheat the system if you're okay with being busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I would not lie about your address in order to get your kids into a certain school. Miami has cracked down on that before and could again.

I agree with the other post to ask the school board for an exception, which they are likely to grant if you can prove an "undue hardship" by sending your kids to the school they're zone for. In our case, the school is in one direction and the school we wanted is literally on the way to both of our jobs. We got in to the school of our choice through a lottery selection process, but if we hadn't, we would've gone the route of claiming hardship.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,193,556 times
Is homeschooling an alternative for you???

Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
OP - Have you tried getting your child into a charter or magnet school?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 35,241 times
To boxus....I'm only interested in ways that don't involve cheating or lying; that's the kind of selfish mentality that ruins things for everyone...
to ray1945....the link you provided is fantastic, thank you.
for everyone else...thank you all for the suggestions. i finally was able to get hold of a very nice person in one of the schools who explained to me that i could qualify for hardship, b/c i do depend on relatives to pick up the kids after school while i'm working
i would looove to homeschool. in fact some of the homeschool websites give great ideas for weekend projects, even if your kids go to regular school. but i do have to put food on the table, so....off to work
Thank you. All this information was very helpful

Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM

45 posts, read 134,224 times
I'm glad that the hardship option is going to work for you....and that you found a nice person that works in government! :-) Sorry....I couldn't resist maintaining a biased and mostly unfair stereotype. Best of luck!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
"that's the kind of selfish mentality that ruins things for everyone..."

Yet it is not selfish for you to enroll your kids in a school that is in other people's area?

AND.........

You state this as your reason:

"Unfortunately, the cost has caught up to us to the point where living in the negative has reached a limit. We have no choice but to find an alternative.
I do not like the public schools in our area at all. How would I go about in enrolling them in a dade public school that is not in our area, or even the same Region?"

But yet you tell the government this:

"i could qualify for hardship, b/c i do depend on relatives to pick up the kids after school while i'm working"

No where in your response to the government did you state the reason is just because you do not like the schools in your area.

Is that not the same lying and cheating you were accusing me of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: