Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM

59 posts, read 182,414 times

Advertisements

Here's an observation that I have made over the years of living here... Why is it that girls of Cuban/Hispanic origin that have lived here all of thier lives & have The Miami Accent seem to repress it/lose it as soon as they start attending FIU ? Really strange thing..., because the ones that attend other universities/colleges either here or upstate/out of state..., don't seem to lose it/repress it as much as the ones that attend FIU, specifically . It's as if they are ashamed of their heritage. Now, just to be clear..., I am speaking in general..., not that every last female of Cuban/Hispanic origin who grew up in Miami will think that all of a sudden they are a thoroughly educated white girl. There are a few that do keep it real. Just an observation that I've made over many years with many friends, GFs, relatives, acquaintances , etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:14 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrosa1990 View Post
Here's an observation that I have made over the years of living here... Why is it that girls of Cuban/Hispanic origin that have lived here all of thier lives & have The Miami Accent seem to repress it/lose it as soon as they start attending FIU ? Really strange thing..., because the ones that attend other universities/colleges either here or upstate/out of state..., don't seem to lose it/repress it as much as the ones that attend FIU, specifically . It's as if they are ashamed of their heritage. Now, just to be clear..., I am speaking in general..., not that every last female of Cuban/Hispanic origin who grew up in Miami will think that all of a sudden they are a thoroughly educated white girl. There are a few that do keep it real. Just an observation that I've made over many years with many friends, GFs, relatives, acquaintances , etc.
I've been to FIU, and no girl, from what I've seen, tries hard to repress a "heritage". What makes you come up with such theory?

To begin with... there is no "heritage", as their parents probably don't have the Miami accent or even speak English.

I think what you are trying to say is that they loose some bad habits, probably learned during their teenage years, in order to be understood better and talk more "professionally" like. They develop a better pronunciation and breathing technique because that's expected from a person trying to pursue a career. This is very relevant with students majoring in professions where they are going to interact with different kinds of people and clients or give presentations for a living.

It's a natural process.

But why would you interpret such move as "repressing a heritage"?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
I agree. Losing the Miami accent has nothing to do with repressing heritage and everything to do with speaking proper English and growing up.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Yeah, like, directly or indirectly, they are taught to properly present themselves to others. Something that's not even taught in high schools. In colleges, many professors encourage students to take Speech and Presentation classes (Oratory), not only to loose public speech anxiety but to also reach a level of eloquence in order to reach more people with whatever they have to say.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM

40 posts, read 84,739 times

**** Miami Girls Say...and guys - YouTube

Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
People in Miami need to learn to speak English more and less Spanish. We live in the United States, not Cuba or Mexico. But some parts of Miami represent a 3rd world country more than the USA. That's all I have to say.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I agree. Losing the Miami accent has nothing to do with repressing heritage and everything to do with speaking proper English and growing up.
Why does it mean growing up? Do people ever lose their Jersey accent? their Boston accent? I mean look at how big George Bush made it with his accent and malapropisms. Doctor Phil is a good ole southern boy and you can tell by his speech. So why would a Miami accent preclude anyone from being succesful?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM

That video is all over my facebook...
ug...

Old 01-26-2012, 04:19 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
Why does it mean growing up? Do people ever lose their Jersey accent? their Boston accent? I mean look at how big George Bush made it with his accent and malapropisms. Doctor Phil is a good ole southern boy and you can tell by his speech. So why would a Miami accent preclude anyone from being succesful?
That youtube video is funny, but sadly true. If you want to like act like a grown up and be like seen as a grown up and like be taken seriously - you'll like lose that immature Miami accent. It's not like super cool. Ayeee. It's the accent along with the expressions. They go hand in hand for some reason. It's not the same thing as having a regional accent like New Yorkers, Bostonians, southern accents, Spanish accents, etc. This is on a whole other level as that video above points out so well.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,041 times
What is the "miami accent"? Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami