Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,966 times

Advertisements

^^ Oh come on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
OP - I know what you are talking about. Every so often you hear it, usually with the younger cuban population I find.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
I don't think my "Miami accent" shows through here, but there were some words that these people in Boston said I pronounced funny. One is "really". I have always said it as ree-lee, with both syllables rhyming with each other. I honestly believed that this was the right way to say it. Apparently not . Also, "freezing". You have no idea how amusing it is to Bostonians when a Miamian complains about the "freessing" cold. After saying it a couple times I realize that I am saying it kind of weird. In some words like reason or physician I pronounce it as an "s" instead of a "z". I don't do this with all words though. When I say price and prize, they sound different. Also realize and ice sound different. I also say Florida kind of funny. These people in Boston kept telling me it was Flaridaahhh, but I always said it like floor-da.
I also noticed that I do tend to say "bro" and "right quick" quite a lot. I am aware that this is a Miami thing and it is more of a dialect than an accent.

Well, from reading this, does it sound like I have a Miami accent? h
WOW you have a very thick Meeamee accent, ree-lee

Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,966 times
I pretty much have it except I THINK I pronounce the /z/ in freezing, and not so much an /s/.
Older Miamiams used to say Mi-am-uh.
Go figure.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 PM

187 posts, read 541,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Yes, that sounds like the Miami accent. Though you don't hear too many non-Hispanics with one down here, at least in my experience.
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have said non-Hispanics. I have heard it alot in non-Spanish speakers though. Maybe they got it from their parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
OP - I know what you are talking about. Every so often you hear it, usually with the younger cuban population I find.
Yes, you usually only hear it with the younger people. It's very noticeable in girls around 14-20ish. You can also hear it in guys, although it doesn't really sound "cute" like the female version, there is an accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
WOW you have a very thick Meeamee accent, ree-lee
Hmm, I never really thought that this was part of any accent. I've always said it like that and until recently no one has corrected me. I always thought my main problem was with all the 'z' and 's' sounds, and occasionally I will screw up a 'th' if I'm talking really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
I pretty much have it except I THINK I pronounce the /z/ in freezing, and not so much an /s/.
Older Miamiams used to say Mi-am-uh.
Go figure.
Oh, I think I know what you mean. I pronounce the 'z' kind of weird. I don't think it sounds like a full blown 's', somewhere in the middle. Kind of how the words eyes and ice sound different. Ice has a much "stronger" s sound (at least to me), while eyes is like a z/s. That's how I say the z in freezing.

And also, thanks for the feedback guys. Maybe I do have a Miami accent after all . Not sure if that's a good thing or not

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I don't know if this is cultural, but several times people refer to a "wash house" and I had no clue what that was. Now, I know that is the area where laundry is done. There are several types of accents in Miami, depending on where you grew up, which is the same for Boston, if you grew up on the south side, you sound different than if you grew up on the east side. Same as for many other areas. So, a Cuban accent/Miami, is differerent than if you grew up in Liberty City, Miami...

Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM

245 posts, read 662,557 times
Yeah I have heard the "Miami Accent" in a few people. They have grown up here and their family is from Cuba. I think it sounds pretty cool, but I couldn't even begin to describe it. I've even found myself picking it up a little if I am out with my local friends......

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
I often hear myself saying stuff like "OEH MENG!!" hahhaha I guess that's part of the Miami accent, and yes!!, it's very contagious.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,281 times
The Miami accent is highly sexy (on a girl).

Old 01-04-2011, 05:22 PM

187 posts, read 541,548 times
I don't really find it that 'sexy'. It's actually kinda ugly on girls and its makes them sound less intelligent. I am like butter when it comes to British or French accents though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami