Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 AM

187 posts, read 539,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLady1990 View Post
Check how you say nation, organization, negotiation. If you sound Like marisleysys or Gloria Estefan, you do have a Miami accent
Ahh what a tongue twister lol. Maybe I do have it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Ahh what a tongue twister lol. Maybe I do have it

I have noticed that the more recent Cuban arrivals .. less than twenty years or so or raised in Commie Cuba have these weird names ... some Russian .. I know more than one Lenin , Boris , Sasha and then those weird names ending in "sis" ... like Elians cousin ... we just hired a young Cuban guy in our warehouse .... Diosleysis .... !!!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:42 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,147,968 times
I once met a Cuban named Rodney.

btw, the suffix I think is "is", I noticed many Cubans use names ending with that suffix

Gladis, Glarisdelis, Diosleysis, etc...

Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 PM

433 posts, read 950,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I have noticed that the more recent Cuban arrivals .. less than twenty years or so or raised in Commie Cuba have these weird names ... some Russian .. I know more than one Lenin , Boris , Sasha and then those weird names ending in "sis" ... like Elians cousin ... we just hired a young Cuban guy in our warehouse .... Diosleysis .... !!!
Tell me about it, that's the 80's generation. That decade in Cuba was characterized by being under an enormous Russian influence. Just ask at 20's and early 30's Cubans what their name is? Sixty percent of them will give you a Russian name, specially those beginning with Yu, Ju, Ye, like Yumisisleydis, Yunet, Yanet and the classics Boris, Miska, Alexander and so on. Disgusting but a good experiment to see how a culture can be subdued and changed in such short amount of time.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Tell me about it, that's the 80's generation. That decade in Cuba was characterized by being under an enormous Russian influence. Just ask at 20's and early 30's Cubans what their name is? Sixty percent of them will give you a Russian name, specially those beginning with Yu, Ju, Ye, like Yumisisleydis, Yunet, Yanet and the classics Boris, Miska, Alexander and so on. Disgusting but a good experiment to see how a culture can be subdued and changed in such short amount of time.

Wow ... interesting ... when I went to UM in the mid 80's ... all of my Cuban American friends had the traditional Latin names ... i.e Carlos , Javier , Roberto , Jose .. etc , etc .... no Boris , Lenin or Yusdelkis

And this is what the Cuban Adjustment Act and Wet / Foot Dry / Foot has been bring in from Cuba in the last 10 years .

Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I once met a Cuban named Rodney.

btw, the suffix I think is "is", I noticed many Cubans use names ending with that suffix

Gladis, Glarisdelis, Diosleysis, etc...
-----

Rodney was the best choreographer of Tropicana some 60 to 55 years ago, but his real name was Roderico Neyra.
Yes, the stupid habit of using weird names started during the late 70's among the collectivized "New Men", there's even a Usnavy. Gladis is not one of those names.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-16-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM

31 posts, read 66,491 times
Winter gladis is a real name, what are you talking about? Ever heard of Gladys Knight?

First they had real spanish names Juan, Jose, Roberto, Maria, Marta
then came the Russian names Boris, Ninoska, Vladimir
Then some got creative...
Some used foreign words or names: usnavy, ladys, usmail, maybelline
finally, the made up names: sugeyly, yusleysis, yamileysis

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,087,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
----

Thomas

Those names were not popular among all Cubans, some are very traditional and conservative.
A lot of English names, Willy, Mildred, Jennifer, Helen, Frank, etc.
Russian culture has totally vanished from that country, people only remember Russian cartoons, Ladas and boxy television sets. Russian is not taught anywhere, but English is.
All people dealing with tourism have a good command of English.
Alexander is the favorite name of beardo because he believes he's Alexander the Great, he's got like 10 kids with different versions of than name.

Last edited by Manolón; 01-16-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:22 PM

433 posts, read 950,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Thomas

Those names were not popular among all Cubans, some are very traditional and conservative.
A lot of English names, Willy, Mildred, Jennifer, Helen, Frank, etc.
Russian culture has totally vanished from that country, people only remember Russian cartoons, Ladas and boxy television sets. Russian is not taught anywhere, but English is.
All people dealing with tourism have a good command of English.
Alexander is the favorite name of beardo because he believes he's Alexander the Great, he's got like 10 kids with different versions of than name.
Hey man, careful I'm from the 80's generation. .

It is funny, every time a teacher used to pass the signing sheet one will see a lot of funny names. Yumisisleydis always got my attention. What strange but humorous name.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,424,698 times
The biggest trip to me when I was in Miami was the AA folks names. Up north, AA folks name their kids Jamel, Tanisha, Jakara, Janeeshia, etc. When I came to Miami it was like Fred, Bob, Sam and Ralph. I was like .... "Thank you!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami