Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
One thing I heard recently was that Palmetto Bay just changed its name to Cutler Bay, so this might help some in the search.
Actually Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay are two seperate areas. Cutler Bay used to be called Cutler Ridge. And Palmetto Bay used to be called Palmetto.

So its South Miami, then Pinecrest, then Palmetto Bay, then Perrine and the Cutler Bay, Goulds, Princeton, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 07:48 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,566 times
Cutler Ridge(Bay) = G H E T T O

Old 07-18-2007, 07:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Cutler Ridge(Bay) = G H E T T O
Like I said, BAD! . Most of South Dade is ghetto from Cutler on. If the guy really can take a 2 hour commute, he should Broward it, since he is going to be staying for a long time. God knows is Pinecrest schools will be any good in just 5 years. He could try to get his kids into the Coral Reef schools, though, which are pretty good.

Student Teacher Ratio Coral Reef Senior High School - Miami, Florida - FL

Graduation rate 95%

Even Palmetto pales compared to that. Palmetto actually pales compared to a good Broward school, like Cypress Bay, Cooper City, or even where I went to.Coral Reef is awesome though, from what I heard, it's one of the best in the state. It's just that it's a magnet school. If he can do Coral Reef, he has a few more options as to where to live. Hard to get into, though.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-18-2007 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 07:54 PM

Luckily not to far from Pinecrest are like 6 great private prep schools. At 20k a year his kids will get a great education for sure.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Luckily not to far from Pinecrest are like 6 great private prep schools. At 20k a year his kids will get a great education for sure.
Which explains why Palmetto isint even what it used to be.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Actually Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay are two seperate areas. Cutler Bay used to be called Cutler Ridge. And Palmetto Bay used to be called Palmetto.

So its South Miami, then Pinecrest, then Palmetto Bay, then Perrine and the Cutler Bay, Goulds, Princeton, etc...
Where do they come up with those names?? Cutler Ridge (sorry, I will never use the "bay" name) is nowhere near the bay! Sheesh. I guess I just assumed it was the other way around because at least Palmetto Bay is close to the water, hence the use of "bay" in the name. D'oh!

In that case, definitely stay away from the Cutler Ridge (B@y) area!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Where do they come up with those names?? Cutler Ridge (sorry, I will never use the "bay" name) is nowhere near the bay! Sheesh. I guess I just assumed it was the other way around because at least Palmetto Bay is close to the water, hence the use of "bay" in the name. D'oh!

In that case, definitely stay away from the Cutler Ridge (B@y) area!
Don't know who comes up with the names know. I guess they thought Cutler Bay sounds nicer than Cutler Ridge. But the old name Cutler Ridge, actually is just that the area sits on a ridge, which means high ground for most of the area (not all, the closer to the bay the lower the ground level of course) Actually parts of Cutler Bay are a mile from Biscayne Bay if not closer than that, as I think some of the new homes developments are pretty close to the bay.

I agree though stay away from Cutler Bay.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,248,530 times
I don't like when they change city names. In my opinion it should be what it is, what is was called originally. Cutler Bay may sound nicer, but I'd rather have Cutler Ridge as the name because that's the name I know and that's the name I'm used to hearing. Isn't [The Village of] Palmetto Bay like a rich area or something? I knew this one girl from back in high school that lived there and her house was huge, though that was only one part of the area I saw.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
All you people who pooh pooh Homestead, how many of you have lived there??????? I have for the past ~ 30 years and love it. Close to the Everglades Natl. Park, Biscayne Natl Park, the Fla Keys, we have a great racetrack, fantastic Mexican food, a real community with people who have lived here for generations. And the fruit groves and nurseries to the north of Homestead. Sure I would love to live in Pinecrest, South Miami, or Palmetto Bay but I can't afford a house in these areas. I actually commute to work to south Coral Gables.....for 30+ years. I have survived! You couldn't get me to live in the craziness of Kendall for a million dollars...two darn crowded, too much traffic. Don't write off Homestead, come for a visit.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:39 PM

I grew up in the Redlands is that close enough to homestead for ya. You know what The City of Homestead is getting better, but it is still going to take many more years to help the area. But the areas north of homeastead like Naranja need major help, the new homes and schools that are going in and around Princeton are going to help. The area around the air force base, forget it the type of people in that area aren't helping to make the area any nicer.

I now live in East Kendall and love that I can drive 5 minutes to Dadeland Mall or 5 minutes to The Falls. I have everything so close to me. Growing up in the Redlands with friends in the city sucked, as my parents would have to drive us 20 minutes to see my friends as there were no normal kids on the blocks except rednecks. I had friends that lived in the Redlands, but after Andrew my close friends moved out of Homestead. Each person has their own likes and dislikes, thats what makes this world great. I can see why people love it in the Redlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami