Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,080,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
good for you. I have lived in several areas in South florida literally and most were not friendly.

Sorta proves the point though, no?
I lived in Miami Lakes many years ago ... so , so area in my opinion .... but people and neighbors in Weston and Parkland where I now live have been great ... I guess it is a game of chance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
When people say "friendly" what exactly are they expecting is what I would like to know.

Do you consider friendly to be waving at your neighbors if you happen to see them outside? Inviting them over for dinner? Vacationing together?

What is friendly?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I lived in Miami Lakes many years ago ... so , so area in my opinion .... but people and neighbors in Weston and Parkland where I now live have been great ... I guess it is a game of chance .
i never lived out west or that far north. My experiences have been in the downtown area/plantation/davie/sunrise areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
When people say "friendly" what exactly are they expecting is what I would like to know.

Do you consider friendly to be waving at your neighbors if you happen to see them outside? Inviting them over for dinner? Vacationing together?

What is friendly?
you just have to see for yourself.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you just have to see for yourself.
I'm not sure what that means.

Where I am currently I talk with some of the neighbors but we don't go out to dinner or invite each other over. Just general chit chat if somebody is outside or even just a wave sometimes.

When I've stayed in complexes in Miami I've never had anyone be rude to me or "unfriendly."

Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 20,305 times
I wonder the exct same thing, WhatTheHellMan. I have been visiting Miami for about 20 years now and the people I have encountered are great and I wonder where the people that find everyone so rude are coming from. I live in Washington DC and the people here are much, much colder and unfriendly than they are in Miami - in fact the people here make New york seem like a bastion of warmth and good will. I just don't get all the negative response to Miami that I read about on these forums - it hasn't been my experience at all.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist52 View Post
I wonder the exct same thing, WhatTheHellMan. I have been visiting Miami for about 20 years now and the people I have encountered are great and I wonder where the people that find everyone so rude are coming from. I live in Washington DC and the people here are much, much colder and unfriendly than they are in Miami - in fact the people here make New york seem like a bastion of warmth and good will. I just don't get all the negative response to Miami that I read about on these forums - it hasn't been my experience at all.
*chuckle* when you actually LIVE here, THEN question where people are coming from.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Indeed people are very warm right here.

One of the few things I love about this place.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

What is friendly?
I'd still like people to answer this.

Maybe my expectations of friendly are just too low.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,080,458 times
Quote:
I'd still like people to answer this.

Maybe my expectations of friendly are just too low.
In my case a smile , a wave and picking up their dogs s#@* off my lawn is enough .... I do not need to have my neighbors bake me cookies or invite me to their homes or church gathering every week end ... we like to entertain once in a while , again the word being once in a while .. but we like our privacy also . Service personnel the same .. a good morning or good afternoon with a smile , honesty and a thanks is sufficient .. they do not have to come to my table every three minutes to serve me sweet tea or ask how yall doing , doing ok , need anything .. in short friendly efficient and to the point ... no need to talk my ears off and excessive fakeness.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
In my case a smile , a wave and picking up their dogs s#@* off my lawn is enough .... I do not need to have my neighbors bake me cookies or invite me to their homes or church gathering every week end ... we like to entertain once in a while , again the word being once in a while .. but we like our privacy also . Service personnel the same .. a good morning or good afternoon with a smile , honesty and a thanks is sufficient .. they do not have to come to my table every three minutes to serve me sweet tea or ask how yall doing , doing ok , need anything .. in short friendly efficient and to the point ... no need to talk my ears off and excessive fakeness.
Reasonable, IMO. While staying in different buildings I never experienced any less. When you're at the pool, in the hot tub, at the gym, on the elevator, etc. people were always cordial and said hi, how are you, boy this water is hot, working up a sweat on that machine, etc. etc.

I guess other people must want everyone to stop and talk to them for an hour, bake them cookies and take them to dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami