Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
\
I guess other people must want everyone to stop and talk to them for an hour, bake them cookies and take them to dinner.
I guess up north eating for free is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Reasonable, IMO. While staying in different buildings I never experienced any less. When you're at the pool, in the hot tub, at the gym, on the elevator, etc. people were always cordial and said hi, how are you, boy this water is hot, working up a sweat on that machine, etc. etc.

I guess other people must want everyone to stop and talk to them for an hour, bake them cookies and take them to dinner.
*chuckle* When you actually live here, then I think you will have a better perspective of what is being discussed.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
When people say "friendly" what exactly are they expecting is what I would like to know.

Do you consider friendly to be waving at your neighbors if you happen to see them outside? Inviting them over for dinner? Vacationing together?

What is friendly?
Yes, there are many who feel that if people do not put on the cheesy fake smile, have the Japanese school girl voice saying "HI! HOW ARE YOU?!", and on and on......

That is why you get a bunch of people always going up to the south (where the population thrives on acting like I just said), and think it is super friendly, and vice versa when people from there come to here and think people are rude here.

This is also why many Americans that travel outside the US think everyone is rude, because it is only here (in certain places), that people put on the goofy fake smile and voice.

I think people in Miami are just fine, definitely less fake than the dopes elsewhere, like in north Alabama or some place similar.

Now, here comes the flaming from people, I do not care, I am not the one complaining about Miami, yet continuing to live here.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
*chuckle* When you actually live here, then I think you will have a better perspective of what is being discussed.
You just know all, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, there are many who feel that if people do not put on the cheesy fake smile, have the Japanese school girl voice saying "HI! HOW ARE YOU?!", and on and on......

That is why you get a bunch of people always going up to the south (where the population thrives on acting like I just said), and think it is super friendly, and vice versa when people from there come to here and think people are rude here.

This is also why many Americans that travel outside the US think everyone is rude, because it is only here (in certain places), that people put on the goofy fake smile and voice.

I think people in Miami are just fine, definitely less fake than the dopes elsewhere, like in north Alabama or some place similar.

Now, here comes the flaming from people, I do not care, I am not the one complaining about Miami, yet continuing to live here.
Bingo!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Americans are scared of everyone. It it wasn't for army training they wouldn't go anywhere.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
That's one thing I agree on - ordinary, blue collar or working class people here are definitely NOT fake. You'll encounter more fakeness in the "Have a nice day!" parts of the US, where minimum wage earners will kiss your ass and treat you like gold, or where people will ask you what church you go to.

The moral of the story is that I don't need to find people who will fake being my best pal on every corner. I actually like New England stand-offishness.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
You just know all, don't you?

Bingo!
I know you don't live here. I know you can not argue the point of how this place is with someone who actually has lived here for sometime. I mean you could but it would be sorta based on emotion and not facts. Im just saying. :P

Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 PM

420 posts, read 824,047 times
Honestly when it comes to friendliness with my neighbors I just give a "Hi, how are you?" when I see them outside, if that. My neighbors on LI I don't even talk to and I personally like it like that. I have my circle of people with whom I associate and my neighbors have theirs. I'm not asking for some decadent dinner party including my neighbors or anything like that.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
I've lived in south Florida since 1973. I am originally from Indiana. I was shocked when in Dadeland - Burdines or wherever - the sales people were too busy talking to each other to help me! I was shocked and dazed when I went shoe shopping and the salesperson just handed me the box with the shoes in it!! Back in Indiana, the salesperson would take the shoe out of the box, place it on my foot, tie the shoelace or whatever. Oh, and the first thing they might do would be to measure my foot!!! Ha ha ha ha, try and find a foot measuring device in a shoe store down here!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Yeah, we Al Bundy down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami