Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
ooook but I think you're missing the general point. Which is about the rudeness or what some may consider a lack of warmth amongst the people here. We are not asking for bread baskets and back rubs. Just the simple acknowledgement from someone who lives in your neighborhood or a introduction while passing or walking down the street or whatever the case may be.
No, you're missing the general point. I assume from your silence on my questions of whether YOU have introduced yourself to neighbors, it means you have not. You're no better than those people you're putting down. Somebody has to make the first attempt and if you haven't and the people near you are like you (meaning they haven't) then yes, you will find things to be cold and that's no matter where you live.

Like Hialeah said, you have to start with yourself.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 PM

567 posts, read 890,456 times
I like how this has become a psychothearpy session for Wild Stlye. I'm with the others.. Believe in yourself! Remove yourself from this online world and go talk to your neighbors!

Listennow32 from GA, believes in you.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,374,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
No, you're missing the general point. I assume from your silence on my questions of whether YOU have introduced yourself to neighbors, it means you have not. You're no better than those people you're putting down. Somebody has to make the first attempt and if you haven't and the people near you are like you (meaning they haven't) then yes, you will find things to be cold and that's no matter where you live.

Like Hialeah said, you have to start with yourself.
*sigh* oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
you are giving this Coconut a hard time but my understanding is that you live hollyhood?

Wild Style, unlike you I have live in Miami for decades, I know my neighbors, sometimes we go for dinner or lunch, and it's not just one house, it's the house on the left, the house on the right and the 3 homes across it, and even the neighbors on the other side of street with who we share our fence. We go to their parties, the come to ours. You expect too much but like Coconut said have you tried to introduce yourself? you might need to work on your people's skills
your understanding from what, your imagination? I don't live in Hollywood. The rest of what you said is just to silly for me to address given the topic of this thread.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"the sales people were too busy talking to each other to help me!"

How about just asking? Or you expect them to stand silent the whole time?

"I was shocked and dazed when I went shoe shopping and the salesperson just handed me the box with the shoes in it!! Back in Indiana, the salesperson would take the shoe out of the box, place it on my foot, tie the shoelace or whatever."

You are telling me, as a grown adult, that you need someone to put your shoe on for you and tie it?

"Oh, and the first thing they might do would be to measure my foot!!!"

You do not know how big your feet are? You need to measure each time? How about this, take what size shoe you have now and put on the new one, then adjust if it is too big or small.

This is an example of why people think others are rude because someone (making around minimum wage at that) won't bow down to them and treat them like royalty, or basically like a child.
I'm not asking anyone to bow down to me. I'm just asking for good service. When I walk into a section of a clothing store - no other customers around... I would expect a sales person to ask me if I need any help. The shoe senario.....all the service I mentioned - putting shoes on my feet, etc., was the type of service I recieved in Indiana.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,112,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, there are many who feel that if people do not put on the cheesy fake smile, have the Japanese school girl voice saying "HI! HOW ARE YOU?!", and on and on......

That is why you get a bunch of people always going up to the south (where the population thrives on acting like I just said), and think it is super friendly, and vice versa when people from there come to here and think people are rude here.

This is also why many Americans that travel outside the US think everyone is rude, because it is only here (in certain places), that people put on the goofy fake smile and voice.

I think people in Miami are just fine, definitely less fake than the dopes elsewhere, like in north Alabama or some place similar.

Now, here comes the flaming from people, I do not care, I am not the one complaining about Miami, yet continuing to live here.
------

A Spanish writer, Alvaro de la Iglesia, visited Miami during the fifties and later wrote that waiters and shop clerks had their smile geared with the cash machine. Yes, looks fake and it's not pleasant.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 AM

810 posts, read 1,580,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
*sigh* oh

your understanding from what, your imagination? I don't live in Hollywood. The rest of what you said is just to silly for me to address given the topic of this thread.
Wild, you still never answered coconut's question. have you tried to approach your neighbors? have they ignored you? are there any neighborhood activities you could get involved with? why are you avoiding the question? are you sighing when you see them like you do in this forum? that might be sending the wrong signals.

pick up your mail after the postman arrives, water your lawn, clean the front of your house in the early morning, late afternoon or weekends when theres people around, walk your dog, start a conversation, they are not gonna bite you. why are you expecting others to do what you haven't tried yourself?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Wild, you still never answered coconut's question. have you tried to approach your neighbors? have they ignored you? are there any neighborhood activities you could get involved with? why are you avoiding the question? are you sighing when you see them like you do in this forum? that might be sending the wrong signals.

pick up your mail after the postman arrives, water your lawn, clean the front of your house in the early morning, late afternoon or weekends when theres people around, walk your dog, start a conversation, they are not gonna bite you. why are you expecting others to do what you haven't tried yourself?
This.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
But most of the time you don't see people outside, and when you do, they are driving.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Then walk over to their house ring the bell and tell them you're their neighbor and just wanted to introduce yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami