Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM

810 posts, read 1,580,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I'm not asking anyone to bow down to me. I'm just asking for good service. When I walk into a section of a clothing store - no other customers around... I would expect a sales person to ask me if I need any help. The shoe senario.....all the service I mentioned - putting shoes on my feet, etc., was the type of service I recieved in Indiana.
pop i hear you but i never felt comfortable with people trying a shoe on me. I feel bad for the workers Realize that some of us don't come from the same backgrounds and what is fine with you, it's too much for us. My cuban parents always put themselves in the clerk's shoes. White America only thinks about the service without taking into account there's a human there, smelling dirty feet and touching nasty old shoes. IMO if clerks want to talk they should but if they see a customer that looks lost or it's approaching them, it's time to pause the conversation. And i don' like to be approached, let me look at the merchandise in peace without a sales pitch, if I need help, I'll ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I'm not asking anyone to bow down to me. I'm just asking for good service. When I walk into a section of a clothing store - no other customers around... I would expect a sales person to ask me if I need any help. The shoe senario.....all the service I mentioned - putting shoes on my feet, etc., was the type of service I recieved in Indiana.
So how is this service being equated to being rude?

If it is not in their job description, they most likely are not going to do it.

Also, there are MANY people who do not want someone to put on a shoe for them, or ask them for help, I can tolerate the asking if I need assistance thing (though it does irk me), but my wife will leave the store if someone asks us if we need something, it is like "duh! I just got into the dang store, I will ask for you when I need you".

That is why I like the restaurants down here better than many other places in the US, the wait staff is not coming by my table every 10 seconds asking me if my food is great, or if I need a refill; I want them to leave me the heck alone until I ask for them.

This gets back to the OP's question and this demonstrates a point; what you consider service/rudeness, is not what I consider service/rudeness.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Also, there are MANY people who do not want someone to put on a shoe for them, or ask them for help, I can tolerate the asking if I need assistance thing (though it does irk me), but my wife will leave the store if someone asks us if we need something, it is like "duh! I just got into the dang store, I will ask for you when I need you".

That is why I like the restaurants down here better than many other places in the US, the wait staff is not coming by my table every 10 seconds asking me if my food is great, or if I need a refill; I want them to leave me the heck alone until I ask for them.

This gets back to the OP's question and this demonstrates a point; what you consider service/rudeness, is not what I consider service/rudeness.
Good points! This aspect of living in Miami has never bothered me
I do not expect someone earning under $10 an hour to kiss my ass! Just do your job, don't be flat-out rude and we're cool

Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
This time I have to disagree with you, Boxus.

I'm not elite or anything, but I was raised in a very well educated and mannered home, where learning etiquettes for different purposes was part of my childhood bring up. ex: how to level my voice according to distance, how to hold a book while reading, how to laugh, smile, how to walk on a hurry, how to move my hands when talking, how to drink water, or hold the glass, etc... and most important, how to treat different kinds of people.

That's why some of us, who were brought up to good values, are rather disappointed by the attitude and customer service we sometimes receive by incompetent people.

No matter how s#itty your position is in this life , you are still offering a service to society. And guess what, that s#itty minimum work pay employment is your called "your job", and is somehow, helping you pay whatever expenses you might have. So you better take it with pride

Even if you don't expect profesionalism amongst dish washers, at least consider the idea that there should be some kind of treatment or relationship between a customer and a seller.

I don't need someone to put a shoe on my feet, however the treatment i'M GIVEN, shows how important their clients are for them. And that's very relevant for their business for I could be a future compulsive client, who, might know other compulsive buyers. AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS RECEIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH A CARING AND WELCOMING SERVICE - THEY CAN'T EVER FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AT YOUR SERVICE , OR ELSE, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT AN INCOMPETENT. That's something those sellers don't see. But I know they still make money, cuz most of the customers happen to be low educated and mannered as well. Too bad that's the demography down here.

And about that lady from Burdines, I also happen to experience such things many times. They talk and talk, and they see you standing there. I would not make a big deal out of that, but we when I say "good afternoon, I guess I'm ready to pay for these pants", I expect an answer. Wouldn't you expect an answer right after that? at least an "Ok, let me finish with my friend here" is all I ask for. Do I have to Cubanize myself in order to get some service? Believe me, I'm never in the mood to be barking like a dog, or make scenes in public.
"This time I have to disagree with you, Boxus. "

It has to happen sometimes!

"I'm not elite or anything"

Me either, I don't know why so many people think I am, perhaps it is because of the car I drive?

"No matter how s#itty your position is in this life , you are still offering a service to society. And guess what, that s#itty minimum work pay employment is your called "your job", and is somehow, helping you pay whatever expenses you might have. So you better take it with pride "

Don't take my point different than the way I intended, I did not mention about people not doing their job, just not having to act like serfs for their master. Putting shoes on someone's feet, or having to walk over to someone who just walked in the store to ask if they need help is a bit over the top in my opinion, this has nothing to do with being professional or not doing their job, I just do not believe it should be part of their job at all. If I want something from them, I will ask, that is when they need to be on their feet and ready to assist, even if I need assistance putting on a shoe.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,330,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

I agree with not needing a sales person to put a shoe on a foot, but I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with somebody asking if they needed help. To me, that's good service.

For instance, say I'm looking for product X. I walk into the store, am greeted by a worker and then asked "can I help you find anything today?" That sure beats having to walk all around looking on my own, or looking for a worker to ask.

As for waiters, I like them to keep an eye on my drink level from a far and come over probably:
1) When I first arrive to get drinks
2) To bring the drinks and take the order
3) To bring any apps, salads, etc. and check the drinks
4) To clear the plates, refresh drinks
5) To bring the main course
6) To check how the main course is
7) Refresh drinks
8) Clear plates and ask about dessert or anything else they can get for me
9) Either bring dessert or the check
10) Come for the check
11) Bring back the check

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Ha

There used to be a young Chinese waitress working at the Chinese restaurant near my flat. She was beyond adorable. I simply loved the way she talk, walk, laugh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ^__^
We would have conversations, and laughs. She was always ready for anything I needed, and would do everything Coconut listed. The food was tolerable, service was superb... I really miss her.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Sometimes I go to places simply for the service... the products may be crap, but to have those coveted minutes when you have great customer service as opposed to crappy service so many places these days, it is worth it

Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,205,091 times
Lol, I once went to a restaurant in El Doral and the sweaty (not kidding) owner/ waiter/cooker, wearing nothing but underwear, asked my family if we were ready to order. The tv was on - UNIVISION - there was some lady yelling to a guy about something...you could feel the bass of the volume pumping through the floor. It was loud, the tables were greasy, but the whole experience was rather funny (if you happen to see it as an spectator). I don't remember what we ordered, but I remember the microwave beeping -obviously the food was reheated. The guy wasn't even cooking, he was just putting food on the microwave for some minutes while watching his soap opera from his chair. We knew our food was ready right after the beeping, so when it was the time for him to serve us, he got up and shout: yuuuuuup!!

The service was not good either, he wasn't even looking at us. He had his eyes on the tv the whole time, even when he was serving the plates.

The food was terrible...hahahha

My family and I laugh our way back to the house.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:42 PM

There are always some classics in life, that sounds like one of them.

Horrible experience you'd never want to repeat, but looking back on them is always a really really good laugh

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
It is funny to see how the Miami lovers are trying to distort legit complaints about rudeness and spin it into people wanting gift baskets from neighbors and employees to bow down to them in stores lol.

Here is an example of rudeness which the Miami lovers will have to break a sweat in order to debuke since no wrong can ever happen here because this is paradise and there are palm trees so rudeness just can't be real here.

I decided to take the 87 bus as an alternative to driving, you know, help the environment and try to use a public service, see how it goes. Being the first time taking the Metrobus, when it stoped and the driver opened the door I asked if this bus went to Coral Way to make sure I was getting on the correct one. The driver yelled back YES and slammed the door. Mind you, she screamed the answer while slamming the door and sped off, not even letting me the chance to get on. THAT is rude. Not saying that all Metrobus is like this and yes, that was the one time I tried transit. But that kind of obnoxious attitude is common across all walks of life here and not limited to Metrobus or any specific industry. I am sorry that some of you delusional posters live in a world where people snap at you for no reason and you think this is normal. I can't even imagine how your personal lives must be, but this lack of civilty is seen time and time again here in local government, customer service, service industry, health care, etc. Sales people too busy talking to each other to ring you up is another common occurrence, but some of you have turned that complaint into expecting those poor angry disgruntled minimum wage workers into bowing down to us. Cashiers not willing to tell you your total and dropping your change on the counter when you have your hand out? Oh you are just expeting to be treated like royalty! lol Who is asking for fake smiles or hey y'all. Just make a brief interaction more civil and do your job how you are SUPPOSED to, be efficient and somewhat professional, I mean this is Miami, not the Okeefenokee swamp. People should know better.

My theory is that people who can't admit to the obnoxious behavior in South Florida are the ones we need to ask where are they from??? Mars? Probably not, my guess is some hillbilly town and they think that this is how "the big city" is and they get excited by the newness and try to imitate what they are seeing as a survival tactic so they can blend in. I would say most people FROM Miami will understand that this is a very hostil and rude city...unless they have never left Miami to a place other than NYC or Orlando.

ANYWAYS, just as they tell alcoholics, the first step to recovery is admitting the problem, the same goes here. Until you stop casting a blind eye to the rudeness, things won't get better. People act this way because they get away with it. The people who alledgedly never encounter this or aren't bothered are most likely the same people who will cut in line in front of you, bump into and not say excuse me, honk at you if you don't floor the gas the micro second the light turns green, curse you out if they perceive you to have wronged them in some minor way, etc.

Maybe rudeness is the wrong word here. Just a lack of civility and decency might be more approriate. But then again that is semantics and anyone who LIVES here with at least an ounce of self-awareness and common sense (sorry tourists, you don't count) will understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami