Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times

Advertisements

Really? hummm, I remember back in High school, the Colombian kids would write things like " Fidel #1" , "Viva Fidel Castro", or anything related to Balseros, where the Cubans used to hang out.

But they were kids, I never seen any kind of separatism amongst grown upz tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
From Brooklyn I also lived in Westbury for a short time and no, Miami is not like Long Island.
How long is "a short time?" And Nassau County is quite different than Suffolk County.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To answer the OP. I am originally from Oregon but was raised in equal parts in the Bay Area of California and Raleigh, North Carolina. I have also lived in Houston for a short while but I am trying to forget that. :-)
-----

No wonder you hate rude driving in Miami, Oregon cowherders are famous for their gentlemanship.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Maybe i should've rephrased that part...what i ment is that everyone doesn't get together like many people do in other cities outside of FL.

easier explanation: there is NO union.
-------

Of course not. Is there any UNION in the rest of American cities?

In Miami there's no union among Cubans. You have Cubans from the 60's, Marielitos and Postmarielitos, Balseros and Hombres Nuevos from Hialeah. You have white, jabaos, Chinese, Lebanese and black Cubans, each one of those groups revolves around their identity.

There's no union whatsoever between Cuban and Latin Americans.

There's no union among blacks, you have Haitian, Jamaican, Caribbean and some African blacks and they ignore each other. They are totally different.

There's no union among Jews, you have German and Austrian Jews, Polish and Russian Jews and Sephardic from Turkey, Jews from NY and elsewhere, Latin Jews, each group is entirely different and have different cults.

As to the rest, they are just barely testimonial.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I've been living in Miami for a few months and I think it's pretty decent. However, I notice you guys complain of extreme rudeness, disturbance of hearing Spanish, bad drivers, etc. Maybe it's because I'm from LI with an upbringing also focused in NYC that I'm used to the rudeness and driving and such, but seriously, I don't know what you guys expect from a city. Are many of you from rural areas or somewhere in the South with Southern Hospitality or a Midwestern friendliness?

Yeah, people in Miami can be quite rude, superficial, "it's all about me," etc. Driving also does suck here but I feel like I'm pretty used to it. So please, out of honest curiosity, where are most of you from that you feel that this is so out of the norm? In LI it's pretty much the same scenario as LI but with less Hispanic presence, though I grew up in/around a very socioeconomically diverse area.

Thanks.

Many people here are from towns like Mayberry or Mt. Pilot SC where everyone is nice .. they wave , a milk man delivers every day , the mail man looks like Captain Kangaroo , your neighbors bring you milk and cookies ... etc , etc .... on a serious note I am from NYC and not that bothered by many things Miami .... Spanish does not bother me .. I think that makes Miami unique ... I do detest the drivers and general ghetto attitude of many of the hispanic kids in Miami though .. some of the selfishness from certain people can also wear on you .. but I find NYC to be similar so I am somwhat used to it .

Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
How long is "a short time?" And Nassau County is quite different than Suffolk County.
Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Many people here are from towns like Mayberry or Mt. Pilot SC where everyone is nice .. they wave , a milk man delivers every day , the mail man looks like Captain Kangaroo , your neighbors bring you milk and cookies ... etc , etc .... on a serious note I am from NYC and not that bothered by many things Miami .... Spanish does not bother me .. I think that makes Miami unique ... I do detest the drivers and general ghetto attitude of many of the hispanic kids in Miami though .. some of the selfishness from certain people can also wear on you .. but I find NYC to be similar so I am somwhat used to it .
like NYC here, umm nah. No one knows their neighbor down here, generally. The "me" attitude is very different down here. There is no since of community down here. In general NYers are very straight forward, but out and out rude, not so much. I have seen lost Japanese kids (off the plane from Japan) lost in east Harlem, and six foot black men with do-rags on, chilling at the bodega help them get to their destination. I have never seen ANYONE down here but so obliged as to help anyone do anything. Not saying it doesn't exist but its not often here. It is what it is. I like Miami though, its not all doom and gloom but lets keep this 100.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM

10 posts, read 8,000 times
wildstyle you are so full of caca, you already smell like poop Miamians also help tourists and help others more than your stinky new yorkers who help you with an attitude. Once they think you can't hear them they talk trash about you. New York is a rat infested cesspool

people help others everywhere, my aunt who worked in a dangerous black neighborhood was scorted everyday from metrorail to her job by young black men. My neighbor boarded a Peruvian family for free until they got back on their feet. Millions on millions of acts of selflessness occur in this city. You only see what your eyes want to see

Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
I thought the talking behind people thing was a bible belt move.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:20 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Rude like the off duty cop i saw yesterday whipping out his badge and calling some lady vulgar names, for her not jumping back 10 feet for him to fly through the parking lot to take his dog in the police car, to petsmart rued?

Or just just plain rude?

(and yes she called the cops, and yes his sergeant was notified).

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

10 posts, read 8,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I thought the talking behind people thing was a bible belt move.
No they do it there too. New yorkers don't have superpowers and behave like other humans on eart, but with attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami