Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 41,754 times

Advertisements

im from Brooklyn, NY and i wanted to move in to Miami with my wife and start a new life and raise a family.. i want to know where is the best place in Miami to raise a family, not to far from a college or university, and does not lack jobs.. also my name is Mohamed, im a Muslim i wana know what is the level of racism and hatred against Muslims in Miami! thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 05:44 PM

6 posts, read 41,754 times
price does not matter btw, i just want the SAFEST place to live in, PLEASE! thank you.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,251,309 times
miami beach but i dont know the level of hatred. i knew a muslim bosnian guy who lived in miami beach a few years back when i worked out that way but i dont know how much flack he got for it. he told me he had a jewish girlfriend.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:50 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
Coral Gables, Pinecrest. Hard to find jobs any place now.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,113,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apo451175 View Post
im from Brooklyn, NY and i wanted to move in to Miami with my wife and start a new life and raise a family.. i want to know where is the best place in Miami to raise a family, not to far from a college or university, and does not lack jobs.. also my name is Mohamed, im a Muslim i wana know what is the level of racism and hatred against Muslims in Miami! thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by apo451175 View Post
price does not matter btw, i just want the SAFEST place to live in, PLEASE! thank you.
What is drawing you to Miami? Just curious.

Sorry to say, while there are some areas of Miami that are safer than others, no matter where you go, you will find trouble in the past. I don't care where you go, Coral Gables (where I grew up and my parents still live) is nice, but there's crime there - not to mention, living there is like living in one big home owners assoc. the city tells you what colors you can paint your house, where you can and cannot park on your own property, and what vehicle you can/cannot park on your own property, when you need to clean your dirty roof, and it goes on. Pinecrest, as mentioned is nice too, but again, it has it's share of problems, like anywhere else.

Close to a university in Miami? I personally only consider UofM a true University, the others are, what I consider as commuter universities, though some will claim FIU has dorms and students from all over, but personally, I don't consider it much knowing many who's kids have gone or are going there. I'm sure others won't agree with me, this is just MHO.

Jobs. The job market is bad everywhere, and if you heard the same news report last night that Florida is one of the states with jobsavailable, well, one thing you should know, there may be jobs, but do you speak Spanish? Getting a job is hard enough, but not knowing Spanish is going to make it a LOT harder. Before you move to Miami - learn Spanish. Even if you open your own business, with about 80% of Miami being Latin you or an employee need to be able to communicate in Spanish.

Racism. You may encounter some racisim no matter what, it could be from a homeowner who may not want to sell someone Muslim their home, you just move on. Sorry to say, you may move to a very nice neighborhood, expensive homes, safe area, but you really have NO idea who will be living next door to you, now or later. You may have someone who doesn't like the fact that you are Muslim but they live with it, and then you could have someone who doesn't like it and will let you kinow, whether it be directly, or indirectly. If someone has a problem with your religion, that's they're problem. As long as you aren't out there promoting or pushing your belief on to others. Nothing you can do with people that are racist.

It also depends a lot on you. What kind of neighbor would you be? Are you considerate, do you like interacting with other neighbors? If there were a Holiday block party, would you go?

I'm moving to SC. People made jokes when I told them. They said I was moving to the Bible Belt, and KKK area. I'm Jewish. I never bring my religion in to anything, politics and religion aren't subjects I care to discuss with anyone I know, much less those I don't. My DH is Christian Lebanese. I've made some friends already even though I haven't fully moved up there yet, but one friend is also Christian and another friend is Muslim. A Jew, a Christian and a Muslim sat together and had a nice afternoon together. It didn't matter our differences in religion, we were just 3 women who enjoyed each other's company, religion didn't come in to it. People here have been nothing but nice. I've been invited by strangers to church. When I tell them politely that I'm Jewish they tell me to come anyway.

Anyway, just make sure you do a LOT of investigating before you take such a big step. I would try to find other practicing Muslims to ask your questions, they would be the BEST source of true information when it comes to racism. I'm sure it can't be that hard to find. Maybe call one of the mosques?

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 PM

535 posts, read 1,405,197 times
Pinecrest, Coral Gables or South Miami... Safe and diverse neigborhoods.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,054,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Pinecrest, Coral Gables or South Miami... Safe and diverse neigborhoods.

I would also throw Aventura , Sunny Isles , Brickell and Miami Shores in that mix .

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,146,302 times
Aventura!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,180,240 times
"does not lack jobs" will be a big problem. Be sure to get a job before moving.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,461 times
Listen I don't care what your religion is trust that God (Allah) will provide a way for you and your family if this is what you want to do!! When I moved to GA from the Bronx everybody told us NO especially with no jobs and no home. (we stayed with relatives my husband, myself and 3 children) And just as I said God made a way!! Let your faith guide you, that's what I am doing. B/c we again are faced with the decision no less than a year later of leaving and moving to Miami. God helped us the first time He will do it again!! Good Luck and peace be unto you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami