Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times

Advertisements

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5234731/THEY-THOUGHT-I-WAS-HISPANIC.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=HNNNNNN GGG (broken link)

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
HAHA.. thats really good

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
You know, men seem to have really bad pick up lines, but just imagine, if this woman was really trying to hit on the OP, this shows this woman may have all you men beat!

So men, please take note, do NOT use these pick up lines, they've been tested by women on women, and they just don't work!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
You know, men seem to have really bad pick up lines,
We agree!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

I have done my taxes at this H&R block for the past 4 years.

As I am setting an appointment, the woman who is setting it for me interupts me while I am talking and answers her phone "Holla Nina!"

Whatever, I am used to that and I didn't really care. Then, another woman comes up and is just staring at me. She asks me "Hablas Espanol?" and I reply "no".

She then says "But, you look hispanic. How come you don't speak spanish? Where are you from?" I say "I am from Boston and I am Jewish".At this point I don't want to conversate with her so I just look away but I still feel her staring at me. She stared at me like she thought I was lying and goes "Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". First of all I do not dye my eyebrows and I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful. Who does that?

I basically felt as though she believed I was hispanic and pretending not to be and she wanted to out me.

What is wrong with some people?

I was livid, but at the moment I just wanted to leave. I should have said something but I just wanted to get out of their as soon as possible. I had gotten dressed very nicely and was excited and nervous to see if they were hiring. I just felt so dumb, how could this ignorant woman who was showing off way to much fat-girl cleavage who has no manners or professionalisim have the job I want.
"So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

As I am setting an appointment, the woman who is setting it for me interupts me while I am talking and answers her phone "Holla Nina!"

Did the person know you were interested in a job there at this point?

For the rest of the post, there are some real ignorant people out there, and there are ones who have no sort of manners. She may have singled you out because of what was perceived here, or she just may be an idiot with everyone in some way or another.

Either way, it is no excuse for someone to act like that, let alone when they are at work interfacing with a customer.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
And "conversate" is part of the English language?

Next time that happens, ignore the rude remarks. Force her into scheduling the appointment or take your business elsewhere.

Write a letter to the president of H&R Block. Of course it will matter to him. He's not in Miami and will not appreciate one employee taking a personal call mid-conversation with a customer and another being unprofessional. While you are at it, tell him you are an accounting major and are looking for a job. Maybe he'll throw the bums out and make you manager.

But don't tell him you were scheduling an appointment. An accounting major shouldn't be having anyone do their taxes, let alone H&R Block - the bottom of the barrel. I'm a writer and I've done my taxes, and others, for years.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
"An accounting major shouldn't be having anyone do their taxes, let alone H&R Block"

Just realized this.

Why in the heck have your taxes done by someone else?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
So, I went into H&R Block yesterday to sched an appointment to do my taxes and also ask if they were hiring because I am an accounting major.

Whatever, I am used to that and I didn't really care. Then, another woman comes up and is just staring at me. She asks me "Hablas Espanol?" and I reply "no".

She then says "But, you look hispanic. How come you don't speak spanish? Where are you from?" I say "I am from Boston and I am Jewish".At this point I don't want to conversate with her so I just look away but I still feel her staring at me. She stared at me like she thought I was lying and goes "Where do you dye your hair? Because I can tell that is dye" I highlight my hair blonde. She also went on to say "You dye your eyebrows too, I can tell". First of all I do not dye my eyebrows and I was very uncomfortable having a complete stranger pick me apart. She was staring at me and it was just completly disrespectful. Who does that?

I basically felt as though she believed I was hispanic and pretending not to be and she wanted to out me.

What is wrong with some people?

I was livid, but at the moment I just wanted to leave. I should have said something but I just wanted to get out of their as soon as possible. I had gotten dressed very nicely and was excited and nervous to see if they were hiring. I just felt so dumb, how could this ignorant woman who was showing off way to much fat-girl cleavage who has no manners or professionalisim have the job I want.
I am surprised that you did not tell her anything. I do not know why people would be surprised if you do not know Spanish.I mean for crying out loud this is the United States of America. This is not a Spanish country. You should have told her this.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
You are a bit of a rarity. These days young people don't seem to think about being polite, respectful or friendly with people outside their own circles.
I beg to differ. What she is is a "Proper Bostonian". There's millions and millions of them. And kudos to them for their good manners.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 AM

31 posts, read 66,784 times
Op you're an accounting major and you can't do your own taxes? WOW. Have you ever heard of tax software?

How long ago did you earn your degree? I ask because accountants have been using software applications since the 80's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami