Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

314 posts, read 759,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
To go back to an earlier point, I think in all of Florida, the counties have much more authority than in other states. County run school districts, police departments, fire departments, mayors, libraries, County Hall, etc. So, the county can and does act as a city and regulate and control growth when areas are not part of a city.

Now, in Broward County there was some sort of a mandate that all areas HAD to incorporate some time back...I am not sure of the reason for this, but there previosuly were many unicorporated areas there as well, but no more.

In Miami Dade, many people felt that the county, being so large, was not addressing their local issues and wanted to incorporate to have local power of their resources. This is how Palmetto Bay and Doral formed recently as well.

Miami Gardens was always thought of as a strange community to incorporate because they received more funding from the county than what they gave to it, so obviously they have had a rocky financial road ever since they incorporated. There was also an issue of the community being predominantly black, and wanting to have more direct power over local resources and decisions being that this is a very Hispanic county.

In general, what is now Miami Gardens was always "Northwest Miami Dade" or unicorporated NW Miami Dade. Any unicorporated area in Miami Dade has a "Miami" address, even if it isn't the city of Miami. But in all honesty, you can write any name for the city, as long as you have the correct addy and zip code. Some people write Coconut Grove, FL vs. Miami, and they are in the city of Miami! So if you live in Kendall (unicorporated), you can write Kendall or Miami.

It is quirky now that I think about it, all of these named, unicorporated areas. It has always been this way though, so I guess it makes us unique in that way. Interesting thread though!

Yeah by the way you describe things I can see why so much emphasis isn't focused on cities down there.....Sounds like Miami-Dade is alot more unified a county than were I'm from/used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami