Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My brother is an auto mechanic, owns his own shop, and he now has enough business where, finally, he can tell a BMW owner: Take it somewhere else!

He tells me BMW's and Audi's are nightmare cars to work on.
hes one of the many auto mechanics who will tell you this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
You guys are getting it all wrong, all the tools and douchebags drive leased BMW 328i's, not that they are tools/douchebags for driving a BMW, just that they see it and treat it as a STATUS symbol for wealth they don't really have.

Hell, I love BMW's.

Of course, status here more likely than appreciating them for what they are, but a 3 series makes a good city car too. I was almost run over by a Mitsubishi yesterday, so I don't think douche bag is exclusive to BMW's.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM

96 posts, read 210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
BMWs are solid cars that are well-engineered and very reliable. My dad has a 2001 5-series BMW and it has 220,000 miles and it still drives like a champ (knock on wood!).

The 3-series is a nice car and not incredibly expensive but of excellent quality; I don't think anyone in Miami is a tool or a douche for driving one.

Oh and by the way:

Having expensive cars while living in the ghetto is a common occurrence in NY and LA. You guys are seriously delusional if you think Miami is alone in this practice.
I have the same BMW, they are tanks. My last one had 180,000 miles before I sold it and even then it still ran fine.

The BMW straight-6 cylinder engines have been ranked on Ward's 10 Best Engines for years and years on end.

I don't drive like a douchebag -- I also get more than 20mpg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My brother is an auto mechanic, owns his own shop, and he now has enough business where, finally, he can tell a BMW owner: Take it somewhere else!

He tells me BMW's and Audi's are nightmare cars to work on.

Well that's a shame. Your brother could be charging $$$ to work on those cars. All he needs to do is have a little understanding on how they work. That's something I notice it's hard to find a good mechanic that knows how things work instead of throwing parts at it. Once they get past the electronics they are just cars with the same parts as any other cars. Sure the new BMW workshop IT setup is a little intense, but you need it if you want to do full service, but if you have the customers then it's not really a problem.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:13 PM

221 posts, read 452,953 times
If I had a BMW I'd get all the girls...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM

250 posts, read 696,239 times
Miami is the land of the Joneses... Or Ramirezes... Whatever is supposed to be hot this month is what they have. Even when its beyond their means. Women are gold diggers here so most guys feel they need to look like they have money. Then its pumpem' and dumpem' cause they cant afford them long term. If you are here long enough you will see the cars change every 6 months or so. These types love leases too!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmontaq View Post
Miami is the land of the Joneses... Or Ramirezes... Whatever is supposed to be hot this month is what they have. Even when its beyond their means. Women are gold diggers here so most guys feel they need to look like they have money. Then its pumpem' and dumpem' cause they cant afford them long term. If you are here long enough you will see the cars change every 6 months or so. These types love leases too!
You described almost the whole country. Keeping up with the Joneses is what the American economy is now based on.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 PM

225 posts, read 447,107 times
You mean the whole world...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
I think it's narrow-minded thinking to call people names or to render them egotistical materialists just because they drive a certain car.
I bet you if Miamians all drove 25 year old clunkers, then we would be considered insensitive for ruinning our planet with carbon spewing behemoths. We would also be called third world and classless for owning such contraptions. Either way, people will find a way to lambast Miamians. 82 Fleetwood Brougham? Ghetto.. 2012 BMW?.. Douchebag
2007 Civic...Un-American

Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Funny, I'm in BMW territory at the time of this post and I haven't even noticed a single Beemer on the road, and if there has been, they are far and few between!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:50 PM

221 posts, read 452,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Funny, I'm in BMW territory at the time of this post and I haven't even noticed a single Beemer on the road, and if there has been, they are far and few between!
Miami-Dade and Broward is BMW territory. If you haven't seen at least two in the past minute you must be in Overtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami