Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I would have to say that in regards to Miami being a "disappointing" town, as far as I'm concerned, it is anything but. Do you know why I think Miami is a perfect fit for me? Well, let's just compare the Felliniesque circus of the Miami forum with the banal humdrum of the Fort Lauderdale forum! Case closed! Ok, so secretly I still love Fort Lauderdale, and I would take it over San Diego any day but I require the chaos and pandemonium of Miami which gives it its spice, and if I were only to judge by the forums it would seem that Fort Lauderdale is horrifically boring in comparison! Just saying!!!

As far as I'm concerned, weather-wise, music-wise, scenery-wise, and even people-wise, Miami NEVER disappoints!

Footnote: I suppose I could temper all of this with harsh realism about the difficulty of finding jobs, but that's not germane to the spirit of my post and I'll have to deal with that unpleasantness soon enough!
Bravo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
music wise it does suck for me

Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 PM

888 posts, read 886,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
Yes, it's true. Another thread on how truly sad this place is.

I moved from NYC (I'm from Manhattan) and though I come from one of the greatest cities in the world, I was able to put that behind me and give this place a chance without being biased or subjective.

Even though I've been here for almost 3 months, I can't help but express how terrible of a city it has been.

-People are rude
-People are egotistical (Why - because you drive a 3-series and live in a crowded apartment with 3 roommates? Please get over yourselves, you live in South Florida)
-Lack of culture/diversity (anybody that doesn't speak Spanish is a visitor counting down the days of when they can leave)
-No public transportation (what you have in place are Disney rides)
-No music scene (no jazz, terrible orchestra, no indie rock, experimental, etc)
-You don't pick up your dog's crap
-You don't have any interesting/new restaurants
-Lack of being in the know - understanding global issues/topics
-Lack of education
-Terrible traffic and poor city planning
-The worst drivers (and I'm from NYC). No idea of what's going on around you when driving.
-Too materialistic (blow your $30k salary on a designer purse)
-3rd highest city with salaries near poverty level
-The list goes on.

I honestly can't wait to take what I'm here for and move on to a real city.
You never have to guess when a New Yorker has something to say, because usually they will let you know that they are from New York within the first 5 seconds. The OP is no exception.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

40 posts, read 50,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
You never have to guess when a New Yorker has something to say, because usually they will let you know that they are from New York within the first 5 seconds. The OP is no exception.
New York is overrated anyway. Miami has far more flavor, but is not for the faint of heart.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM

888 posts, read 886,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORAX View Post
not for the faint of heart.
Indeed

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THORAX View Post
New York is overrated anyway. Miami has far more flavor, but is not for the faint of heart.
More flavor? Care to elaborate??

Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
lol. ok so ive never been to new york but from everything ive heard its far from overrated

Old 05-12-2011, 09:31 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
lol. ok so ive never been to new york but from everything ive heard its far from overrated
That's my personal opinion, yes.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I have only been to NYC once but I agree it is overrated like most cities. Expensive, dumpy and smaller than I initially thought. That was when the WTC was still there, I have to admit that I did not like it either. Central Park makes NYC unique, and Wall Street is a one of a kind place. Miami was a decent place to live but since the 80's has been on a downhill trend. However, I prefer Miami to NYC.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:16 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
I think what is disappointing to most people(visitors mainly) is that they expect everything west of Biscayne Bay to look like Miami Beach and that is not going to be the case as Miami and its numerous suburbs are the working side, there are a lot of nice areas just not one big resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami