Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think living next to Haitian neighbors and making your son attend a predominately Haitian majority school would be the best chance for your son to have a good Haitian influence. When I went to school in Boynton, half my school was Haitian kids which I never was exposed to before because all my life I have been moving around and never been around my own people much outside of my family. So it was great seeing and hearing all these students speaking Creole and interacting. I got reconnected to my culture and I was speaking the language better and more frequently so that was great. I also got my hair cut at Haitian barbers and eat at Haitian restaurants so I got to interact with Haitian people outside of my school and establish close relationships with them. And I think just doing these simple things would be a great way for your son to learn and have a positive Haitian influence while also embracing yours as well.
So, have them attend Edison High? Not so safe there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM

367 posts, read 940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I grew up with one of Mr. Moise's cousins, they are from NYC (the cousins). Good people, Anyway there is definitely a large Haitian upper class in Miami. Not sure how large or comparable it is with the ones in NYC though, but they are definitely in Miami.
Where in the nice parts of North Miami (eastern 199th st) or Aventura?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I grew up with one of Mr. Moise's cousins, they are from NYC (the cousins). Good people, Anyway there is definitely a large Haitian upper class in Miami. Not sure how large or comparable it is with the ones in NYC though, but they are definitely in Miami.
NYC/Boston/Montreal all have older Haitian communities, and more middle-class Haitian communities than Miami. I'm pretty sure in a city to city comparison NYC has more Haitians than Miami by default. But South Florida as a whole has more Haitians than NYC and Florida as a whole has more Haitians than the state of NY. For a while(like another poster pointed out) South Florida as a whole(from Miami to West Palm Beach) had a homogeneous socio-economic Haitian community. Most Haitians in South Florida ranged from lower-Middle-Class to poor in all three counties. In turn breeds alot of Haitian vs Black-American, and Haitian vs Haitian gang violence in the past 20 or so years in plenty of cities on I-95. But a large Haitian upper-class started to pop-up around the mid-90's.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Sorry I'm responding so late, but yea I live in Bed Stuy. I'm Haitian and have mad family from Flatbush, Crown Heights and Canarsie. I used to live in Miami, but it wasn't for me. What nationality are you? In fact a couple of my cousins from Flatbush (e. 29th and Ave D) now live in North Miami Beach.
What part of Miami did you live in? Don't tell me you moved to Little Haiti/West Little River/Liberty City.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times
They are scattered all over and are discreet and blend in. Their diaspora is vast

Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
I know of a lot Haitian middle class people are moving here from the northeast all the time due to the climate and being closer to the island. I have friend who actually move here about two years ago and she likes the area so far. I would consider her family upper middle class in a way but my friends mom is separated so she lost of money when she moved here and got insurance.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
Plenty of upper class Haitians have strong connections in Montreal

Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM

167 posts, read 246,409 times
Isn't North Miami and North Miami Beach the suburbs home to many middle class Haitians?

Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 AM

Nowadays I'd say South Florida's middle class Haitian community is on par with Boston and NYC if not above them. I don't think Boston, NYC or Montreal Haitians have the sheer political clout and numbers that South Florida has. South Florida is basically the Haitian Atlanta in a way. Haitians in those cities don't have the political, numerical or cultural capital that Haitians in South Florida have obtained in the last 20yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami