Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
I'll start my Bachelor's in May and work wherever I can... I do not really care now, I'll get a better job when I get my B.A. and move up north....

It's not that easy to get paid more than $8 with a high school diploma, you live in Dade or Palm Beach??... most people are getting paid peanuts and doing the job of three or more people... some companies are blaming the economy for paying low wages even though they're doing fine...
I live in Hialeah

Marina, the problem is that you want to work the job you want to work, as an office clerk, filing, doing paper work and get paid $20.00 an hour. That ain't gonna happen. Office clerks get paid minimum wage.

The following are entry level jobs that require no degree and pay more than $10, and right next to them are your excuses:

Sales - You don't like sales, you hate quotas and you are not a good sales person
Waitress - You don't like smelling like food and rude customers
Call Center - You don't want to answer call after call without a break.
Truck Driver - You are a woman
Banking - According to you they are not hiring but they are. You might need to work on your interview skills. If the interviewers perceives negativity or entitlement(like you sound in this forum) they won't hire you.

Marina Welcome to the real world. You have no skills, you want an easy job and you don't want to work your way up the ladder. No employer is gonna pay you above minimum wage unless you have special skills or unless the job is physically or mentally demanding.

Don't bother relocating, life is not easy anywhere if you don't have anything to offer besides an AA degree in General studies. Do yourself a favor, unless you want to be a teacher, don't get a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
I'm sick and tired of people telling me and telling everybody else to get a medical degree... I HATE SCIENCE WITH A PASSION! I'm into humanities, law and business fields
Humanities
Teacher, Unemployed, Burger King Manager, Entrepreneur, just to name a few...and for the ones with ambition, they can get a BA in English or similar and then take the LSAT to get into Law School.

Law
Why are you not studying for the LSAT to get yourself into Law School? It does not cost anything to study for it, other than the study guide. You can even pirate the LSAT study materials online. By the way, MDC Wolfson has a law program for those like you who are just starting out.

Business
Why did you not get an AA in business? MDC has a pretty decent 2-year program. Why don't you take your AA and transfer to FIU and do a BBA. Then you could work on campus. Those jobs don't pay the best, but you've got your dignity intact, it's secure, and it's cheap to live out there.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Humanities
Teacher, Unemployed, Burger King Manager, Entrepreneur, just to name a few...and for the ones with ambition, they can get a BA in English or similar and then take the LSAT to get into Law School.

Law
Why are you not studying for the LSAT to get yourself into Law School? It does not cost anything to study for it, other than the study guide. You can even pirate the LSAT study materials online. By the way, MDC Wolfson has a law program for those like you who are just starting out.

Business
Why did you not get an AA in business? MDC has a pretty decent 2-year program. Why don't you take your AA and transfer to FIU and do a BBA. Then you could work on campus. Those jobs don't pay the best, but you've got your dignity intact, it's secure, and it's cheap to live out there.
Sound advice +1

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
exactly, the jobs in FL are in more rural areas. Major cities like Miami, Orlando, Tampa etc will have no jobs at all due to saturation
Not even that.... check the unemployment rate at St. Lucie, Martin and Indian River counties, they're the highest in Florida....

Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM

535 posts, read 1,410,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
I live in Hialeah

Marina, the problem is that you want to work the job you want to work, as an office clerk, filing, doing paper work and get paid $20.00 an hour. That ain't gonna happen. Office clerks get paid minimum wage.

The following are entry level jobs that require no degree and pay more than $10, and right next to them are your excuses:

Sales - You don't like sales, you hate quotas and you are not a good sales person. I've been to thousands of interviews with hundred of applicants to places such as t-mobile and verizon, but they're hiring people with a B.A. degree since there're so many graduates unemployed...
Waitress - You don't like smelling like food and rude customers. I careless about the smell, I used to be a waitress, but the place closed...
Call Center - You don't want to answer call after call without a break. Same as sales associate... they just want super prepared individuals and pay them pennies.
Truck Driver - You are a woman. I actually was thinking about it, but I want to finish my B.A., I can't go to school driving from coast to coast.
Banking - According to you they are not hiring but they are. You might need to work on your interview skills. If the interviewers perceives negativity or entitlement(like you sound in this forum) they won't hire you. I've been to Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citi and Ocean Bank interviews, all of them full of hungry and graduated applicants willing to work for $10.00 an hour...

Marina Welcome to the real world. You have no skills, you want an easy job and you don't want to work your way up the ladder. No employer is gonna pay you above minimum wage unless you have special skills or unless the job is physically or mentally demanding.

Don't bother relocating, life is not easy anywhere if you don't have anything to offer besides an AA degree in General studies. Do yourself a favor, unless you want to be a teacher, don't get a Bachelor's in Liberal Arts.
Thanks for calling me a nobody, I really appreciate it.... I'll start school on May and get my B.A., let's see if you start calling me a nobody after all.... Don't worry I won't get a Bachelor's in Liberal Studies, waste of time and money... I know many people who got a B.A. in anthropology, film, psychology, english and philosophy and work in fast food and other minimum wage jobs... Many of you are critizing people who are not in your level yet just because they can't find any better than a minimum wage job... many of those had well paid jobs before the recession and had to take a low wage job without an option. Let's see what you'll do if tomorrow you loose your $100k job and cannot get any better

Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
Thanks for calling me a nobody, I really appreciate it.... I'll start school on May and get my B.A., let's see if you start calling me a nobody after all.... Don't worry I won't get a Bachelor's in Liberal Studies, waste of time and money... I know many people who got a B.A. in anthropology, film, psychology, english and philosophy and work in fast food and other minimum wage jobs... Many of you are critizing people who are not in your level yet just because they can't find any better than a minimum wage job... many of those had well paid jobs before the recession and had to take a low wage job without an option. Let's see what you'll do if tomorrow you loose your $100k job and cannot get any better
Why don't you just tell us what your B.A. going to be in?
It's almost like you're avoiding to tell us.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
"General Studies"

Marina maybe you don't do well in interviews. It's very easy to get a $10-14 an hour job with a high school diploma.

With your AA degree you are not gonna get a $20 an hour job anywhere. Don't blame Miami. You need to work your way up the corporate ladder. Welcome to the rat race.
I don't agree with this. I got a job making $22/hour with an AS degree. Oh, and it wasn't in the field that my degree was in either. In addition to your degree, it helps to be a good worker (we actually had a tough time finding those; too many South Floridians have horrible work ethic)!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
I live in Hialeah

Hmmm....I also don't (totally) agree with this either! I'll tell my story...

When the economy was better (2003), I moved to FL with an AS degree in electronics; got a job paying $15/hr in a small boutique software development firm in Ft. Lauderdale. They folded, and I went back to working in retail. I had a friend who worked in real estate, and encouraged me to go that route. Well I am not a seller, but I took the card of the temp agency that had placed her. It took about 4 months, but I eventually got hired as a clerk in a real estate title company making $12/hr. Within 6 months, they raised me up to $15/hr. In three years I was making $22/hr.

Now yes, my job title did change (4 times in fact...from file clerk, to legal assistant, to policy processor and finally escrow accountant). But I did work my way up and my degree was only an AS and not really relevant at all to my day-to-day work. While the workload was heavy, and deadlines were very firm (nature of real estate closings), is was in fact nothing but paperwork. The insurance industry has tons and tons of it. I personally did not find the did not the work so demanding (mentally or physically).

Two of my bosses had no degrees; and yes, they had been in the industry for a long time. However I am just saying that you can make a living in an office. I would not suggest that others can definitely make out like I was able to (eventually, my job did 'go away'....although I left for health reasons, I probably would have been laid off anyway). But there is more to working in an office opportunity-wise than you may think.

A friend of mine has a husband that works in the insurance industry in Denver, CO. He was an attorney....but now is a claims manager for the region. He makes 6-figures.

Marina, you have to make your own opportunities. Don't let others define you and tell you what you can't and cannot do. You'll waste your life living out other people's opinions! Surround yourself with forward thinking people and be proactive. I ended up earning my BA in liberal arts, and I'm currently in an MBA program. You most definitely still have many lucrative options ahead of you (you just have to identify them...which might take a little work)!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:16 AM

166 posts, read 986,290 times
Default Become an ACE certified fitness trainer.

You don't even need a college degree for this job. My husband makes over $50 an hr. You know what he does? He is an ACE certified fitness trainer. You want to make big bucks? Become a trainer. It's not easy though. If you can pass the test, you will make a lot of money. But you have to love to work out and do a lot of exercising. He's always loved to exercise. Good luck. Anyone who can pass that test, and get a job at a gym will make good money. No college degree required! You do have to enjoy eating healthy and working out a lot!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:18 AM

166 posts, read 986,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
You don't even need a college degree for this job. My husband makes over $50 an hr. You know what he does? He is an ACE certified fitness trainer. You want to make big bucks? Become a trainer. It's not easy though. If you can pass the test, you will make a lot of money. But you have to love to work out and do a lot of exercising. He's always loved to exercise. Good luck. Anyone who can pass that test, and get a job at a gym will make good money. No college degree required! You do have to enjoy eating healthy and working out a lot!
Make sure you get a job in Boca. Big bucks to be made there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami